The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Installing a metro turbo engine in a mini

SupraDan24

Hi guys, i'm currently watching a metro turbo engine on ebay, comes with all the gubbins and a looks to be everything i need bar the bulk head box which he says he'd throw in. I raised a Q to him about there being no mention of the Metro ECU and loom and he basically says this

My Q "Hi does this include the Metro ECU and Loom?"

Ans:

"hi no it doesnt but u use the mini loom and it

doesnt need a ec u then thanks"

Does anyone know if this is true?

Link to add

Dan

All the fuelling is taken care of by a sealed HIF44 SU carb. The ECU that people refer to in the metro turbo setup is not an ECU at all. There is a small electronic device linked into the wastegate plumbing which apparently caps the boost in the midrange to keep the torque down and help gearbox life but that's it. Most people seem to disconnect it to increase performance funnily enough :)

I'm thinking as I type but in terms of loom and wiring I reckon there are 3 wires to the alternator, 1 to the water temp on the head, 2 to the distributor, and another one to the oil temp switch. There may also be an anti run on valve but that's not 100% necessary. I'm not sure if the pre-engaged starter motor has any extra wires from the starter solenoid (don't think so) but then if your Mini had a pre-engaged starter anyway this will be of no concern. There may be a few more (or some flaws in my little list) so I'll keep thinking :D

As far as I recall - yes.

I had a mate who did the same - transplanted metro turbo into the mini. You may have to do some welding and change some engine mounts.

I've still got a metro handbook somewhere. I'll check the wiring diagrams for you.

I've got a mate who can weld and make up engine mounts so this could become a possibility :)

PM me if you need anything from the book :)

Cheers for that mate, i may well do if i decide to buy it.

Thanks

Dan

All the fuelling is taken care of by a sealed HIF44 SU carb. The ECU that people refer to in the metro turbo setup is not an ECU at all. There is a small electronic device linked into the wastegate plumbing which apparently caps the boost in the midrange to keep the torque down and help gearbox life but that's it. Most people seem to disconnect it to increase performance funnily enough :)

I'm thinking as I type but in terms of loom and wiring I reckon there are 3 wires to the alternator, 1 to the water temp on the head, 2 to the distributor, and another one to the oil temp switch. There may also be an anti run on valve but that's not 100% necessary. I'm not sure if the pre-engaged starter motor has any extra wires from the starter solenoid (don't think so) but then if your Mini had a pre-engaged starter anyway this will be of no concern. There may be a few more (or some flaws in my little list) so I'll keep thinking :D

Cheers mate, that doesnt sound too bad. I'll look into it as well.

If you buy it I have a device built by the makers of the Aquamist Water Injection people that allows distributor triggered engines to have basic boost referenced map built up. I have used it on two engines and it works brilliantly. It would allow the safe usage of more boost on one of these engines. I was going to put it on Ebay, but would rather see it go to someone with a link to the forum. I have done quite a lot with blow through carburettor turbo engines, they are now considered obsolete, but are nonetheless capable of excellent performance. The Mini Metro turbo set up used no engine ECU, in the current sense.

If you buy it I have a device built by the makers of the Aquamist Water Injection people that allows distributor triggered engines to have a basic boost referenced map built up. I have used it on two engines and it works brilliantly. It would allow the safe usage of more boost on one of these engines. I was going to put it on Ebay, but would rather see it go to someone with a link to the forum. I have done quite a lot with blow through carburettor turbo engines, they are now considered obsolete, but are nonetheless capable of excellent performance. The Mini Metro turbo set up used no engine ECU, in the current sense.

Cheers Chris, i'm looking for an complete engine now i think. After having a chat with a few ppl, i'm not 100% sure i can make a decent job of putting it back together which is what i'm worried about. I dont want a pile of parts that end up staying that way as i cant manage it. Paying someone else to do it might end up pretty pricey as well i would imagine. I'm looking for fairly cheap performance just to get the best out of my Mini.

Changing a mini engine is about as complicated as changing your socks. ;)

For a mechanic ;) I dont have any mechanical experience past changing my oil and filter sadly. I'm learning more as a try more, but i dont think i'm quite ready for reassmbling a block by myself lol. The friend who was going to help me has decided he isnt confident with putting it all back together and getting it running the way it should which is fair enough really.

Edited by SupraDan24 (see edit history)