The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vets are expensive!

Thorin

She just wandered round dazed and confused when they brought her out, think she only barely understood where she was and who I was! She then proceeded to just flop down in the middle of the vets and not want to get up again.

She's sleeping it off now but reckon she'll just about manage to force herself to eat some chicken and rice later ;)

6 whole pounds!!! I'm shocked that you didn't sign up there and then :)

I just checked, 6 whole pounds and 78 new pence! :D

Thought I'd post this pic I'm quite proud of I'm using as a background at the moment. On Ilkley Moor Baht 'at!

http://www.kulthea.net/angel/ilkley.jpg

£250! Should have been a vet.

I don't usually get argumentative but comments like this always wind me up.

First of all, the cost price of the premed and anaesthesia drugs including oxygen for a dog of this size could be £50-£60 alone. Second of all, although routine, a bitch spay is a major surgical procedure requiring substantial skill and training. Exactly the same operation in a human (using very similar drugs) would cost £4k if done privately.

All vets have to work f**king hard, first of all just to get into uni, then through five years of the toughest course at uni. Most people don't have the faintest idea of what the job entails (mainly due to unrealistic programs like animal hospital). I often wish I could go home and not sit next to the phone every second night, waiting to be called out to calve a cow in the pissing rain at three in the morning. As for the salary, I worked my hourly rate out one month that we were busy and it came to £7 (no such thing as overtime). I could be getting triple the pay by now if I'd been a dentist and go home at five o'clock every night.

Sorry, rant over! :)

P.S. We'd charge about half that for that op by the way. :)

My girlfriend can beat you all hands down :)

To cut a long story short, one of her cats woke up with a slight limp one morning. Six months and £2500 later she was well again.

Here she is, just to show you she was worth every peny. Thank God for pet insurance and great vets :)

My girlfriend can beat you all hands down :)

To cut a long story short, one of her cats woke up with a slight limp one morning. Six months and £2500 later she was well again.

Here she is, just to show you she was worth every peny. Thank God for pet insurance and great vets :)

Ouch, now that's expensive. Unfortunately you can't claim for spaying on pet insurance, also insurance for great danes is expensive anyway and many won't even insure them after 5 years old (she'll be 4 on christmas day).

I don't usually get argumentative but comments like this always wind me up.

First of all, the cost price of the premed and anaesthesia drugs including oxygen for a dog of this size could be £50-£60 alone. Second of all, although routine, a bitch spay is a major surgical procedure requiring substantial skill and training. Exactly the same operation in a human (using very similar drugs) would cost £4k if done privately.

All vets have to work f**king hard, first of all just to get into uni, then through five years of the toughest course at uni. Most people don't have the faintest idea of what the job entails (mainly due to unrealistic programs like animal hospital). I often wish I could go home and not sit next to the phone every second night, waiting to be called out to calve a cow in the pissing rain at three in the morning. As for the salary, I worked my hourly rate out one month that we were busy and it came to £7 (no such thing as overtime). I could be getting triple the pay by now if I'd been a dentist and go home at five o'clock every night.

Sorry, rant over! :)

P.S. We'd charge about half that for that op by the way. :)

I'll second that - my sister went through all that. It seems the only way vets can make proper money is to get on permanent attachment to posh horsey clubs. There's no real payback in vetting cats and dogs or cows.