The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying an mx5

miko_supra

Why UK spec? insurance is not any cheaper than an import!

The early UK spec had a much lower hp output than the roadster but 'd get over to one of the owners club forums and start digging there.

I got one for my missus 3 years ago and without a doubt the most fun I've had driving in years :)

Randomly found. Not one of my collections or anything. Any way, about the mx5...

my mate had a gold/orange one, he loved it but had to get rid cos of baby.:(

think it was a 1998 s and went for 5k about 5 months ago.

dont think he had many probs and it ran everyday.

It will be a mk1 1.6 uk spec and under 3 grand.

My 1990 1.6 import with 100k miles went for 3 grand, with a new roof ...

The only trouble I ever had was related to roof seal problems (new roof sorted that), and the rear calipers siezed once. If memory serves I used these guys for the roof (http://www.hothoods.co.uk/hothoodsmx5/pricelist.htm) and can't fault them at all.

http://www.miata.net/ is a good resource for information, especially the 'Garage' section.

When buying I'd recommend checking the following, as well as the usual stuff;

- That the tyres fitted are the correct size

- That the aircon works when the car is under load

- The lights have been changed from standard sealed units

- Damage to the rear panels (no protection to them from inside the boot)

- Puddles under the top seatbelt mats (hopefully just blocked drain channels, but worth checking)

- For manual windows, it's common for cables to snap. Check if they feel harder to wind then they should.

Try to find one with a wind blocker installed already, as that really makes a difference when driving with the top down. Personally I'd get one with a good roll bar installed too (not a cosmetic one) 'just in case'.

And take care when putting the roof down - aging rear windows can crack really easily. And ask if the rear deck roof cover is still with the car - many get lost over the years.

Have a look at http://www.dandycars.com for an idea of what's available for what cost (although they tend to import special models, and you can buy cheaper!)

http://www.miata.net/garage/garagebuying.html may help, also.

or anyone got some decent advice?

If you can get one with a hard top included, go for it. For long journeys the reduction in wind noise/roof flapping/yada/rain noise is worth it, and it protects the soft roof through winter. Consider budgeting around £400 for one, otherwise. And make sure it's secured to the car, as they tend to get nicked.

Guest Garfy

I used to have an MX5 on a j plate, they are great cars, there are only a few things you need to look out for,

1) seized rear calipers, it's not the caliper it's self that seizes but the hand brake auto adjuster, so make sure the handbrake works well, and be carefull because it is possible to adjust it so it works at the time of you looking at it but a few miles later it won't, so make sure the hand brake works well.

2) Obviously the hood, check for splits around the windows, and also check the zip for the back window, you must un-zip the window before you fold the roof, because if you fold the roof down with the window zipped in it folds the window in half, which is ok as long as it doesn't get cold because the window might split.

3) they are quite low so check for damaged chassis rails

4) early UK models had the same seats as the Jap models which means they had speakers in the headrests, there is a little zip around the headrest un-zip it and make sure they are in good condition because they make quite a difference and are very difficult to find replacements for.

5) this is probably the most important one, with the engine running look at the bottom pulley on the front of the engine and make sure it is running true, because some of the early models had a soft chrank shaft and this meant the pulley and its wood raft key could damage it, this isn't a problam intill the pulley behind that drives the cam belt does the same thing, then you have big problems and the only way to sort it is replace the crank, or engine.

also check out http://www.mx5parts.co.uk you can get everything from there.

here is a picture of mine, god I miss that car

Also I looked at an MX5 Turbo last weekend for less than 3K on a H plate in BRG with tan leather, a bit tatty round the edges but a great starting point

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd bump this, there's some great info here already and I'm thinking of buying one for myself for over winter(the logic is there trust me :D) at over 6ft though is it going to be a nightmare more me to fit in the thing or can a change the seat and subframe for more room if needed?

Cheers

I bought one in May as runabout and I absolutely love it. I've had many different perfomance cars and I think this is easily up there as one of the best for fun factor. I'm spending more money on it nowadays than I do on the Supra. Throttle bodies here I come :D