The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting an FMIC ducted properly.

RedM

Even if you manage to duct it properly (aim for airtight at the front) you still need to duct the rear of the FMIC and couple it to the front of the condenser and the coolant rad as well.

Even then you'll be redirecting extra hot air in the engine bay (the stock setup directs this hot air outside the bay, in the front wheel arch)

Instead of trying to re-invent the whole wheel, why don't you try to invent just the extra bit that you feel you need over and above the stock setup?:search:

Here's an idea:

Fitting a chargecooler after the SMIC will add no appreciable pressure drop and it would only have to handle the thermal 'overflow' from the SMIC under full boost conditions. The chargecooler rad could be easily placed on the passenger-side duct, avoiding any hanky-panky with the stock airflow, coolant tank or active spoiler (it is like an oil-cooler rad and so are the pipes involved).

No extra heat will be dumped in the bay either, and the air/water heat exchanger can replace the stock SMIC -> TB pipe.;)

That's what I would do if I needed extra charge-cooling on the supra.:D

I have my fmic ducted with rubber seal ,have not tested yet to see if it has dropped my temps but im sure it will.

No duct between fmic and rad because its not needed ,fans pull air through rad.

everything you do to reduce temps makes power,if cheap aluminium duct helps then fit it,make templates in cardboard the cut out in ali ,then rivet in place.

Ive sealed the bumper to the intercoller at the bottom and cut the upper part of the mouth of the bumper and ducted in ali up to the top of the intercoller .

D.

• 1 month later...

As far as i understand it.........

the smic's supply of air comes via the hole in the bumper. Once this air comes in it is 'forced' through the IC as there is no other route it can (easily)go. The low pressure area of the wheel arch helps with the flow too.

On a front mount IC it is argued that the air, or alot of it, can flow around the sides top and bottom of the cooler, ie without ducting its not forced to flow through the IC.

Intuitively i would say that ducting the area in front of FMIC to the front bumper would have the most effect on forcing the air through.

benefits are a more efficient IC and therefore lower charge temps and more power.........

just my thoughts......

All the ducting in the world won't do much if there is no pressure difference across the core.

Example: duct it perfectly, then fit a cardboard at the back of the core. Will it flow jack?

there are no frequent complaints of overheating on FMIC'd cars so the flow must be ok for the ''last in the chain'' radiator. If you duct the front ie between bumper and FMIC then i think you can ensure the FMIC is working more efficiently than if you don't duct the front, no?

..If you duct the front ie between bumper and FMIC then i think you can ensure the FMIC is working more efficiently than if you don't duct the front, no?

definately.

Anything is better than the air escaping from around the core.

Another way to increase the pressure difference across the core is to fit a bonnet vent a-la-Evo.

This will increase the air throughput without increasing the size of the openings at the front.