The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New TopGear - Biofuel or Ecofuel

Wez

Hey All,

A question for all those that watched the new top gear this week.

Did anyone else notice that Clarkson said the new KONISSSSSSS super car would run 800hp on normal, 840hp on super unleaded and 900hp on biofuel/ecofuel, what is this stuff.

:cool:

Bio Ethanol...only useable by 2 cars on the market a Ford Focus and a Volvo..I think.

Ethanol will screw up a normal fuel system

The fuel is available from Morrisons Supermarket and the first pumps in the UK were installed in Norwich!

Bio Ethanol...only useable by 2 cars on the market a Ford Focus and a Volvo..I think.

Ethanol will screw up a normal fuel system

The fuel is available from Morrisons Supermarket and the first pumps in the UK were installed in Norwich!

Is it much more expensive?

Interesting, its in Tesco petrol according to this site :-

http://www.britishbioethanol.co.uk/

Private customers:

Bioethanol is currently available in a 5% blend at over 250 Tesco petrol stations in the South-East of England. This petrol is supplied through ordinary unleaded petrol pumps and is not identified as bioethanol-blended petrol. It is not yet possible to specifically buy bioethanol-blended petrol at petrol stations in the UK but we hope that this will start changing soon. Please watch this space for further news.

It's cheaper than Optimax, can't remember what the price was...BUT I believe you need to use more...and it's not that good an idea....it's not as enviromentally friendly as they make out not because of it's emmissions but it's production and it's sustainability as an alternative fuel.

No worries alex, I wasnt planning on running it in mine just curious how the extra 100hp was acheived on a friendly fuel :)

I guess a supra with an AEM and modified fueling would run it without issue then.

Too low to worry about (I'd expect) but it proves that it's not as advanced as 98RON optimax.

Mmm...interestingly enough (well for me anyway) I have been using Tesco fuel for some time but the last several fill ups have been with Optimax and I felt it was more responsive with the Shell stuff. At first I thought it was my imagination but maybe not eh?