The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What does "Dibbs" mean to you.

Terminator

To me it is a childish phase that humans grow out of by about 8 years old, but a small proportion of the population mysteriously regress and start using the word again when classified, as an adult.

It also means; I like the sound of this item I don’t know if I want it or not, but I am going stake claim on it just in case I might want it.

An other meaning, I am broke but can’t control myself so I’ll say I want it, but I am going to change my mind later as I know I can’t afford it.

Another; Me, me, me, ohh dibbs , I know these things always get snapped up, I have not got a clue what it does, but because they sell so fast, I got to have one. I’ll find out later if I need it, and then back out.

Another; I’ll make out that I am buying parts as it looks cool, I’ll wait a few weeks then back out.

Another; I don’t think I can afford this, but if I call dibbs and wait a while, so the thread drop out of sight, may be the seller will sell for less if I pull a sob story.

It would be so much better for the forum, if people could just say “I’ll take it , how do I pay”, If you are not sure about an item, make way for someone who is decisive and prepared to act asap. :aggress:

I can only sincerely apologise to everyone in the club for what might be seen as childish antics, but I was set on the long haul with this.

I have spoken to many more experienced club members in relation to my plans once securing the parts, and believe that I have done the right thing rather than hog the parts for years never finishing the project and running out of money probably in the long run.

I didn't think it would cost me as much as I now realise (probably 10k on top), but after researching thats about what I think it would cost to do it right.

Fair shout take the stick standing up.......at least I am big enough to apologies to you all.

I can only sincerely apologise to everyone in the club for what might be seen as childish antics, but I was set on the long haul with this.

I have spoken to many more experienced club members in relation to my plans once securing the parts, and believe that I have done the right thing rather than hog the parts for years never finishing the project and running out of money probably in the long run.

I didn't think it would cost me as much as I now realise (probably 10k on top), but after researching thats about what I think it would cost to do it right.

Fair shout take the stick standing up.......at least I am big enough to apologies to you all.

I don't think this is aimed just at you somehow... It has been an ongoing thing.....

Are we talking about the 6speed conversion you claimed Dibs on and then dropped out later?

...Or the big twin turbo kit that you claimed Dibs on and then dropped out later?

I don't think this is aimed just at you somehow... It has been an ongoing thing.....
I think it might be!

Dibbs pending pics, is way worse.

Thats.............I want it i think but im not sure what it is.

Well i have "stolen" a few things that people called dibbs on. End of the day i want something i pm them an offer.

Worse one was having an offer excepted only for a PM 30 seconds later saying he had taken a higher offer.

I'm all for a dibbs ban, so frustrating,, its like the gimps that still call shotgun on car journeys...

although its down to the seller to control i suppose... if adverts contained all info and pics, there would be no need for it..

it should be i want it heres the cash, or if seller is really nice, i want it but dont get paid till friday is that ok?

the way Dibbs works with me is.

if your selling can i have first dibbs??

ok sure mate.

ok mate its up for sale

cheers where do i send you the money??

then i pay and get what ever i wanted the dibbs on.

but yeah your right about most peeps. they always want what they can't afford at the time. its usually the peeps that have second and third dibbs that cause the long line of let downs. probo because they think the first dibber is going to buy it and just want to make pointless conversation.

hope all that made sense

I did not start this with any individual member in mind, I wanted to make a point about buyer indecisiveness in the selling section. There seem to be more more "Dibbed" items coming back up for sale. So the first to call dibbs was clearly not 100% committed to the sale. It would appear that calling dibbs has become almost like a cooling off period for someone who is uncertain or has difficulty in raising funds. This is extremely frustrating for other members who, had they had the opportunity, would have clear paid for the item on the spot.

Personally I wont except dibbs and only sell to the member who replys with I 'll have it please, how do you want payment." If the person then privately gives some explanation and requires a little time to pay I usually will be OK with it, if the seller is committed to the purchase.

As an occasional seller, I have taken on board the "Offers" complaints and tried to price items as fairly as possible. This can be difficult however as still many sellers remove the selling figure. I have tried to price several items recently by using the search button, but found no evidence of either and asking price or selling price. I don't know why sellers are so shy about this. It would make the buying and selling section a far more useful resource if both "Offers" and "Dibbs" we to disappear. If this forum is to be more like a club then, one of our overriding aims should be to help others on the forum. So being clear about price and being clear about intentions to purchase would help achieve this aim. The spirit of helping others is very strong in most other areas of the forum, so why not in selling?

I think we should consider the following favourably: the removal off Offers, the removal of Dibbs, the preservation of sold prices, encourage the timed sale/auction with highest offer by end of time for popular items, thus giving individuals who can not spend 24/7 on the forum the opportunity to participate in the purchase of these items.

I appreciate this may put more pressure on mods, and that is not my intention. We can monitor this as a club and members can report posts that are not appropriate. We just need to generate a culture and it should take care of itself.

one thing i would say with regards offers threads there should be a deadline, (ie ebay) highest bidder wins and deadline should be adheared to...

its not easy to price some items if u genuinely have no idea what they are worth, or have rare or unusual items.. nothing worse than selling something for £50 on here then finding it relisted a month later for twice the price..

Guest SupraGTE

either it has to be banned or allowed and that to be decide by the Moderators/voting IMO

As long as there are some sellers and buyer that likes the dibby thing it will work = it will continue = we will see these threads :)

encourage the timed sale/auction with highest offer by end of time for popular items, thus giving individuals who can not spend 24/7 on the forum the opportunity to participate in the purchase of these items. This i think is a good idea, just haft to have some control of it that things does not work as Ga*bay where sellers have many accounts , robotpgrs to add last second offer

for me personally this would be great as im traveling allot and im for probably not the only only one.:)

personally i dont care if dibbs is banned or allowed, if it is banned im happy :) if allowed im happy :) if no clear rule im :(

and dibbs is it not in reality the same as "i will have it"?

for all i sold it has been like that almost .

i understand your point Terminator and mostly agree :)

for prices in selling thread i have experienced a few times PMs from buyer to request me to remove the price from thread.

if it is for be able to sell it for more or hiding bought price from GF i dont care as the product now belong to somebody else and have the right to do whatever they want with it.

but it is also a problem, as when i want to sell something i have hard to see what other have sold for and that results in offers,

BTW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dibs :)

..for me it means..

In conversation etc, someone mentions they may sell/give something away..and you would then say.. 'ooh, can i have 1st refusal/dibbs please?' ...

Though also upon that time you either buy it or say no...no humming or harring.. just yes or no.

:)

What about when people doing "gauging interest" i have personally done this to see if its worth selling i.e if the money i would get from the item would make it worth selling, i think "Dibbs" works well in this situation.

Supradibbs...promoting the dibbs system. Surely this is not allowed? :D

On a sales thread, I always see it as laughable, somewhat insincere infact.