The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What happens when you die? (serious question)

Jamesy

Right apologies firstly for the deep topic of conversation ....

... Last Sunday was my Mums birthday. She would have been 54 if she hadn't tragically died 16 years ago when i was 13 :(

Its such a massive question and with all the modern technology these days still remains the biggest and most unanswered question of all time (that and does the G-spot actually exist!)

So, what are your theories?

Do you come back as someone/something else?

Do you go to heaven as a spirit and look down on everyone still living?

Do you simply die, and thats it..game over, end of? (i cant quite comprehend that option)

Do you go to another world? is this just a dress rehersal?

blah blah, just wondered?!

:blink:

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I belive the part of you that is you moves on, Where and why i dont know.

My mrs uncle, A trucker that would have told you its aload of old tosh, died for 30 seconds before being brought back.

He says he was shaking hands with loads of his dead mates before coming back.

Now this guy wouldnt make it up and he swears it happened.

Maybe this thread needs a poll. And sorry to learn about your mum.

I think it's either dead and nothing else, or maybe come back in some form later on.

I think I used to live in Victorian times, as sometimes I have these weird vague 'flashbacks', and it throws me for a second or two. Maybe it then goes to explain my fashion sense too. :)

I always liked to think that this life was a bit like a test, what with all the bad sh!t that happens, and when you die it was your ticket to the "proper" life with no terrorists, war, peado's, murderes and rapists etc.

Its wierd how the "good die young" and the arseholes seem to live to a rip old age (massive generalisation i know!)

Then i think to myself do i think that way because i believ it .... or just because it sounds nice?!

Unfortunately for obvious reasons no-one can definitely say. It's just a questions of what people's faiths and beliefs are, which will yield different answers.

I honestly don't know but if you live an honest good life, I can only hope and assume you'll be treated well in the afterlife. You 'd expect so anyway. And even if there is no afterlife, at least you'll be remembered by those still living for being a nice honest person.

Can only assume you feel like that about your mum too ;)

I don't know about this. My sister has an old wicker chair from my dead grandmothers house.

The chair is in my nieces bedroom, my niece was not born when my grandmother died but when she was nearly three she used to sit and wave at the chair and ask why Violet wasn't playing with her.

My niece is nearly 5 now and still talks to my Gran. It's quite weird but reassuring that she watching over the family.

I don't know about this. My sister has an old wicker chair from my dead grandmothers house.

The chair is in my nieces bedroom, my niece was not born when my grandmother died but when she was nearly three she used to sit and wave at the chair and ask why Violet wasn't playing with her.

My niece is nearly 5 now and still talks to my Gran. It's quite weird but reassuring that she watching over the family.

Lots of kids see things that grown ups cant. All very strange

I personally don't believe in afterlife (not in the religious-meet-your-friends-scenario anyway). We are nothing other than energy and matter, and since energy and matter are interchangeable, when I die, my energy will get re-used somewhere else in the universe.

I exist, I die.. game over :)

Heck of a topic!...

my 2pence worth.

the logical part of me belives that the conciouseness/self awareness bit of us is simply a by product of the biological machines that we actually are. As soon as the biological machine stops functioning the byproduct and conciouseness ceases to exist- result - everlasting un-conciouseness. Given our scientific understanding of things this seems to be the most likely explination.

the religiouse part of me however belives in reincarnation. I belive there is an intrinsic part of us that ultimately defines who and what we are and it happens to be eternal/ immortal. The 'soul' if you will. this jumps from living being to living being -could be human animal or even alien. this ties into my sikh beliefs regarding karma, but thats a whole other thread!

The religiouse part of me is winning the battle at present- for the simple reason that it provides a sence of pupose which is appealing and the first (reasonably more likely explination) lacks purpose.

i do however realise that both my explinations are distincly 'unromantic' and lack the heart warming affect of other theories..

Sorry to hear that your mother dies so young. Unfortunately my views would not give you the comfort your belief gives you, so this is not the place or the time to air them.

Thanks mate, but i'm not looking for a "support group" i'm just putting the question out there as it interests me at this time ....

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts regardless of how positive/negative they are ;)

Nice story - that would scare the crap out of me and also reassure me all in one!

My wife said she saw her dead grandad a few times after he dies watching over her and she felt very safe knowing/thinking he was still around for her.

It still begs the question as to why cant scientists "kill" someone for say a week and then bring them back to life and recall exactly what really happens...?

Ps. Sorry to hear that you lost you mum when you were so young. having not to long ago experienced loss in my family also i can understand the questions such an event brings. ive given the topic allot of thought. unfortunately it just comes down to what your comfatable believing.

hard topic, but its one of those unanswered questions and prob always will be!

i dont think we would even notice to be honest. not sure if you have ever been knocked out before, but when i was i had no idea i was out for a while, didnt relise i had been out it "just happened" and there is no recall of memory while knocked out. very strange so i think it would be the same when you die, you wont even no.

Your body is linked with a higher level energy that we can't measure, when you die the energy exists in a higher dimension, it's not physically here but still effects this time and space. It's sentient in a different way than we are, but it's NOT the same person that lived here. These energies can communicate with each other in some way and we are linked to these energies also, our brain sometimes communicates their effects to us in whatever way it can (hence; ghosts, telekenesis, mind-reading, etc.).

Whether or not WE move on I don't know, but an essence of what we were lives on in a higher dimension.

hard topic, but its one of those unanswered questions and prob always will be!

i dont think we would even notice to be honest. not sure if you have ever been knocked out before, but when i was i had no idea i was out for a while, didnt relise i had been out it "just happened" and there is no recall of memory while knocked out. very strange so i think it would be the same when you die, you wont even no.

True - i got knocked out for about 7 minutes after a major head on car crash - dont remeber a few minutes before or after i woke up.

The thing is i cant get my head around being dead, for EVER? All we know is in our head, you go to sleep, you wake up, people die, life carries on, but when YOU die, thats it...for ever :search:

naa, cant get me loaf around that at all :taped:

I think that when you die, your body is done with.

I'm not a religious person by any means. In fact, quite the opposite. I don't think that means you can't believe in some kind of 'after-life' though.

For instance, when your brain stops processing and ceases to exist, what's likely to be the last thing on your mind? Because surely that's the after-life... one long memory lasting forever.

I've sat here thinking about this for five minutes now, and I have to stop because I could literally write all day.

Probably the best option would be to wait and see :)

What happens to other organic lifeforms when they die? Surely they have an afterlife then as well if the common thought is that we do?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here....

Ah, Mr Devil, welcome :)

The human condition, including our overly complex emotional systems and alleged extra-sensory communication abilities, could suggest that humans are apart from other life forms in that respect.

I'm just playing the other devil's advocate, because I'm going trying to remain objective.

Ah, Mr Devil, welcome :)

The human condition, including our overly complex emotional systems and alleged extra-sensory communication abilities, could suggest that humans are apart from other life forms in that respect.

I'm just playing the other devil's advocate, because I'm going trying to remain objective.

What makes us special? opposable thumbs? The ability to cause great pain to each other? I don't believe we are better than any other creature, in fact sometimes I think we are worse.

If we believe in the afterlife, surely we should believe in extra-terrestrials as well? Both have the same amount of proof :)

What makes us special? opposable thumbs? The ability to cause great pain to each other? I don't believe we are better than any other creature, in fact sometimes I think we are worse.

If we believe in the afterlife, surely we should believe in extra-terrestrials as well? Both have the same amount of proof :)

I agree. this is why (for me personally) the reincarnation theory where your soul can become any other living organism (human/animal/alien) govened by laws of karma seems the most "fair".

Well it could be argued that we're 'special' in many ways, and that there's a reason we're so hugely cultured/civilised(!) and developed as a species compared to others.

I do believe in extra-terrestrials, but only because the laws of probability say I should.

Besides, if one were going on the assumption that humans are 'special', then surely not believing in aliens would be the conclusion?

Aargh my head hurts.

Can mkivsupra.net solve the meaning of life?