The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Baraka (Bluray)

Mike

Not Obama in HD :p

With my new PS3 :) I was after a Bluray film to show off the tele an that... I found this;

http://synergysci.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/baraka_film.jpg

It's from Ron Fricke, the guy who did the high speed cinematography montage Koyaanisqatsi... this is more of the same - shot across 24 countries.

"Instead of a story or plot, the film uses themes to present new perspectives and evoke emotion purely through cinema. "

The transfer process to get it into Bluray sounds amazing;

Following previous DVD releases, in 2007 the original 65 mm negative was re-scanned at 8K (a horizontal resolution of 8192 pixels) with equipment designed specifically for Baraka at FotoKem Laboratories. The automated 8K film scanner, operating continuously, took more than three weeks to finish scanning more than 150000 frames (taking approximately 12-13 seconds to scan each frame), producing over 30 terabytes of image data in total. After a 16-month digital intermediate process, including a 96 kHz/24 bit audio remaster by Stearns for the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, the superior result was finally re-released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in October, 2008. Project supervisor Andrew Oran says this remastered Baraka is "arguably the highest quality DVD that's ever been made".[1] Chicago Sun-Times critic Roger Ebert describes the Blu-ray release as "the finest video disc I have ever viewed or ever imagined."[2]

30 Terabytes of image data!? apparently they 'downscaled' this for 1080p and the duel layer Bluray disc is 44mb a frame. I haven't done the maths... but it sounds impressive!

Anyone see this in 1080p? is it as good as the reviews say it is?

I know we have a few photographers/ arty type around these parts so thought I'd post it up...

For anyone interested I got my copy here.

I'll be watching it tonight hopefully.. so expect a full review :)

I've seen this before and it is awesome :)

Cool... I keep meaning to visit the IMAX near Waterloo.. walked past it loads of times and never been at a time I could wander in and check it out.

I'll have a look for this, nice one :)

Just had a quick flick through.... it looks amazing :)

It goes to show what a bad transfer Planet Earth is to be honest :(

If you have a Bluray player and a 1080p tele, spend the £12 and let this film show you what it can do.

I have seen it. The chanting of the humans is quite discordant with the rest I found. Perhaps it would have been fun to include some chants from a premiership game too, rather than the inevitable indiginous ones.

But it worked and was beautiful. And that it what it captured, beauty.