The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R154 and 2JZ questions?

JamieP

If going down the R154 route you best option is to get one from a late model soarer. That would have the correct bellhousing and the shifter would be in the correct location.

As for the prop the front of the prop should mate up to the rear of the w58 prop.

Clutches all depends on your goals. Whifbitz sell spec clutches which are pretty good. Other options are ACT, carbonetics. From what I read up previously for your goals if you do decide to go single the OS Giken would be your best option.

1JZ-GTE flywheel.

1JZ-GTE or 7M-GTE clutch.

There are 4 different shifters that I know of:

Short extension - Mk3 Supra turbo

A bit longer extension with swan-neck lever - early Soarer

Cradle like the Mk4 W58 - late Soarer (and JZXs?)

Even longer extension - very late JZXs

First pic is early Soarer on left and Supra

2nd pic is late Soarer

3rd pic is JZX110

R154_MA70_JZZ30_Remotes.jpg

R154_Late_JZZ30_Remote.jpg

R154_JZX110_Remote.jpg

Perfect, thanks guys. The box I have is from a mk3 supra, what do I do about bell housing?

Best to put a wanted thread up on driftworks for a 1jz/2jz R154 bellhousing. Expect to pay around £300 for one. Not sure if you can get them from Toyota new still or how much they'd be.

You can get copies from Thailand but not sure on the quality.

Damn, sounds like the bell housing is aggro, maybe better to just bite the bullet and get a 6 speed.

If you have the funds def go for a 6 speed. As mentioned you can get the bellhousing from driftmotion for around $350 US not sure what it works out to with hsipping and taxes. They do however stock everything else needed for the conversion. You'll need the slave, prop, sensors, shifter extension if you have an mk3, clutch, flywheel.

I have the funds, but I'd rather keep it in the bank tbh :) looked at the R154 shifter extension on drift motion but they want me to send them mine so they can mod it, anywhere else that do them?

Fair enough. Good thing about the r154 is that if it ever fails they're a lot cheaper to replace. Best bet would be to pm viper and ask where he got his done. Thor racing can do them not sure how much they'll charge though.

Guest Roger NE

Yes and once you have the R154 bellhousing and Shifter Extension you can always just replace the gearbox itself if it fails

(mind you they're not as smooth as the W58 ! I'm talking as a Mk3 owner who has experience of both)

However, another issue is the Speed Sensors - the Mk3 Supra R154 has a mechanical speedo drive cog in the bottom, and a speed sensor that is used lust for the ABS, so neither is any good for the Mk4.

Presumably you have fitted a Turbo to your N/A - if so you probably want to change your Diff to lower the gearing, as changing the gearbox won't make any real difference.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

I can get the shifter done Jamie the same guy who done mine looking at £150 plus postage pics of mine are on my build

I have a spare to use as well so would be a quick exchange

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?283671-Busters-NA-T-build-with-Some-TT-bit

heres the right page

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?283671-Busters-NA-T-build-with-Some-TT-bit/page8

Edited by buster (see edit history)