The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel System Setups!

JamieP

What sort of capacity is the cooler though? True a fuel line contains fuel, but a minimal volume, and the lines are as well protected as possible, being towards the centre of the car (front/back and left/right).

I'd guess about 1 litre. The front of the fuel rail in an in line straight is always going to be within reach of trouble. A sheared fuel line will still be gushing if the pump is running.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All sounds like its getting a bit complicated to me, ive never heard of any supra running a fuel cooler.

Neither has Simon who was at abbey for over 8 years, even Rocket Ronnies car was fine with no cooler, as Si points out if you have fuel going thru a cooler and then dumping back into a tank that on a road car may have 70 ltrs ++ of warm fuel how is it ever going to cool it, I would be very wary of a fire situation as petrol is far more flammable than oil if the cooler fractures.

Neither has Simon who was at abbey for over 8 years, even Rocket Ronnies car was fine with no cooler, as Si points out if you have fuel going thru a cooler and then dumping back into a tank that on a road car may have 70 ltrs ++ of warm fuel how is it ever going to cool it, I would be very wary of a fire situation as petrol is far more flammable than oil if the cooler fractures.

Hmmmm just seen CW's post so there is definatly something in this if 2 cleverer than I members are talking about it, So my question would be to Nod and CW knowing what my car will be used for, drag racing and standing mile type affairs will it need a fuel cooler?????

Would you notice any power increase at all after installing a fuel cooler?

Thats what i meant !!!!:) If as Nod says the pressure drops when the fuel heats up then the problem will be with it running lean as its been mapped with fuel at a set pressure.

That's where mine was, in front of the passenger wheel behind the front bumper with a big metal plate under it and mesh in front of it so no stones could get near it. My Oil cooler must have been quite jealous.

We run ours under the boot floor which has been refabbed for it along side our remote engine oil cooler, again both are ducted and sheilded ;) as a drift car there not much point in trying to use the frontal area to cool anything :D

I remember the big fuss at the Brazilian Grand Prix a couple of years back about this. It's got to be a few degrees relative to ambient hasn't it?

I thought it was only the temp it was being stored at in the pits / being pumped in was the issue at Brazil.

I wonder what the regulations are for though cooling the fuel via ducting though whilst out on the track ;)

But to get back on topic on this thread as it has interested me - why not run 3 pumps than 2? if you can run them at a sufficient capacity so that if one fails you can still run the others but probably at 90-95%? Surely if you've got a swirl pot and a return then having 3 running an excess would be better? (Excuse my ignorance - but I'd remain ignorant unless I asked).

I'd rather have any system running 3 components in parallel at 50-60% and then just 2 being able to take the full demand if one failed. i.e. have 3x044s

To much to go wrong with three pumps, im still considering twin 044 but i really do want a single pump setup, tried to call websters today for advice on pumps but they seemed busy all day, will try again tomorrow.

Dude sorted me a cracking price on the ID2000 injectors, cheers mate.

I thought it was only the temp it was being stored at in the pits / being pumped in was the issue at Brazil.

I wonder what the regulations are for though cooling the fuel via ducting though whilst out on the track ;)

But to get back on topic on this thread as it has interested me - why not run 3 pumps than 2? if you can run them at a sufficient capacity so that if one fails you can still run the others but probably at 90-95%? Surely if you've got a swirl pot and a return then having 3 running an excess would be better? (Excuse my ignorance - but I'd remain ignorant unless I asked).

I'd rather have any system running 3 components in parallel at 50-60% and then just 2 being able to take the full demand if one failed. i.e. have 3x044s

I'm pretty sure the 044 is a gear pump so the more pumps you add compressing the fuel the faster the fuel will heat up. Which is why one fuel pump is best. If it fails your engine stops and doesn't run lean ;)

To much to go wrong with three pumps, im still considering twin 044 but i really do want a single pump setup, tried to call websters today for advice on pumps but they seemed busy all day, will try again tomorrow.

Dude sorted me a cracking price on the ID2000 injectors, cheers mate.

Go for the aeromotive JP, you wont get a better pump cheaper than that.

Are you going to run a swirl pot or just pickup straight from the tank? Looking on supraforum and nobody ever seems to run swirl pots.

Well JP Simon wants to do a swirl pot set up and it will look nice, we discussed a 2 pot system the second containing a coiled hard pipe in a pot that we would fill with dry ice, that is fine for drag and the mile runs but not a lot of good on the road.

Are you going to run a swirl pot or just pickup straight from the tank? Looking on supraforum and nobody ever seems to run swirl pots.

There is a little trick Simon was talking about you can do under the bonnet, if its any good for you I will run it past you and you can get Lee to fit it.

owners supraforums seems to drive their cars apart from the odd 60 mph rolling race against something :D.

If you wont be doing any track type work you should be ok and could do a simple setup..

modifying the Pump hanger with a 1/2 pickup pipe and running a 10AN line to an underbody mounted pump like the Weldon 2032 (1100hp on E85)

then to a 10AN Filter (Aeromotive AEI 12101) up to front of car into Y block with dual 8an feeds to the Rail.

8an return line from Fuel Reg (Weldon A2040) back to tank should be sufficent.

What rail do you run now?

owners supraforums seems to drive their cars apart from the odd 60 mph rolling race against something :D.

If you wont be doing any track type work you should be ok and could do a simple setup..

modifying the Pump hanger with a 1/2 pickup pipe and running a 10AN line to an underbody mounted pump like the Weldon 2032 (1100hp on E85)

then to a 10AN Filter (Aeromotive AEI 12101) up to front of car into Y block with dual 8an feeds to the Rail.

8an return line from Fuel Reg (Weldon A2040) back to tank should be sufficent.

What rail do you run now?

Thanks for that, going to run it all past Lee, i have a Hypertune intake and fuel rail going on soon.

Will be selling my bosch high imp 900cc injectors and twin feed FIC black fuel rail soon if anyone want to make me an offer of £500

Thanks for that, going to run it all past Lee, i have a Hypertune intake and fuel rail going on soon.

Will be selling my bosch high imp 900cc injectors and twin feed FIC black fuel rail soon if anyone want to make me an offer of £500

Hypertune is Dual 8AN in and 6AN out, lee could modify the rail to 8AN out easly enough, or could simply run a 6an - 8an adpter on there, so that would work perfectly for you.

Weldon mounted under tank..

weldon.jpg

Edited by bondango (see edit history)

Hypertune is Dual 8AN in and 6AN out, lee could modify the rail to 8AN out easly enough, or could simply run a 6an - 8an adpter on there, so that would work perfectly for you.

Weldon mounted under tank..

Hard to tell but looks like pretty much where that pump is mounted is where my prop destroyed everything at Jap Finale last year, cut through the floor and anything else in its way.

Those Wealdon's are supposed to be very noisey arent they, ive gone aeromotive cause its much cheaper and apparently quieter.

Hard to tell but looks like pretty much where that pump is mounted is where my prop destroyed everything at Jap Finale last year, cut through the floor and anything else in its way.

Those Wealdon's are supposed to be very noisey arent they, ive gone aeromotive cause its much cheaper and apparently quieter.

TBH dude, any single pump capable of flowing for 1500hp will be noisy and any car needing one the noise shouldnt be a factor ;) though knowing Jamie he may prefer something a little quieter :p

there are a lot of different locations for mounting, and it could go in the boot area if you disred

just giving jamie a few options worth considering ;)