The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driver's license confusion..

JustGav

Now I have a slightly older license plus my advanced driving stuff, which gives pretty much all the categories including trailers.

Now I know the new license's don't include trailers, but I keep seeing things about saying you only need a license for 3500kg or over.

So would Mel for instance who passed her license 2 years ago be able to tow a small box trailer?

Now I have a slightly older license plus my advanced driving stuff, which gives pretty much all the categories including trailers.

Now I know the new license's don't include trailers, but I keep seeing things about saying you only need a license for 3500kg or over.

So would Mel for instance who passed her license 2 years ago be able to tow a small box trailer?

As far as i know, yes, she can.

"Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_10013073

its all on the back? right?

but I have seen discrepencies... all 3 of use, have converted South African license, but Rory (my mate) and Mel (my missus) can both ride a bike, I cant. Neither have had bike licenses before, etc.

I never did the SA license, I did my UK one and drove in SA from age 17 (probably illegal thinking about it now, but hey ho)..

Thing is, Mel's license has nothing other than B, B1,f, k and p and they specifially don't show the trailer icon that mine has.

This is my point, there is no clear answer. the dvla website reads like this

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

* a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

probably, but i would love to see her reverse it:D

This is my point, there is no clear answer. the dvla website reads like this

What's not clear in this? With B category you can drive any car (B cat one) with trailer up to 750 kg or you can combine weight of car with weight of trailer up to 3,5 tonnes, but weight of EMPTY car cannot be smaller then weight of trailer :p All clear really...

What's not clear in this? With B category you can drive any car (B cat one) with trailer up to 750 kg or you can combine weight of car with weight of trailer up to 3,5 tonnes, but weight of EMPTY car cannot be smaller then weight of trailer :p All clear really...

I just wanted to be VERY sure before I stick the trailer on her car with her driving just in case she got pulled. She has got a clean license and wants to keep it that way :p

And you should be very clear, after I pm'd you last night. There's no prob's with Mel towing a small trailer under 750kgs, provided that the combined weight of the vehicle towing said trailer and the trailer do not exceed 3500kgs.

Don't you just love European intervention in road traffic law.