The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil pressure & Oil Temperature readings ???

lui

At present my supra is at the BPU +++ stage & within the next week or two I will be fitting my blitz oil temp & oil pressure sensors which will be fitted within the greedy sandwich plate which will take these sensors between the oil filter & engine block.

The sensors will be connect up to my Blitz SBC i-colour which will give me digital read outs for these two sensors.

Just wondered the following:

1. What should the oil temp be reading & what should I set the warning limit to ??????

2. What should the oil pressure be reading & what should I set the warning limit to ??????

3. What should I watch out for on both this readings for problems before they start to cause engine problems happen ?????

When my oil is at 50c i know it's time i can start booting :D But on average it sits at about 100-110 on a hard drive. Think my warning is either 125 or 130c

I could be totally wrong but i'd have the oil pressure sat at anything between 10 to 0 psi. When cold i think it sits at about 80psi and when hot at about 20psi (idleing).

The warning lights :D make sure the cars hot enough before applying the right fot too much. Also make sure it doesn't get too hot either. As for pressure, when it's at 0 STOP and turn the engine off NOW!!!!! Means there's some sort of leak which is bad and could mean very bad things if ignored.

What should the oil temp be reading & what should I set the warning limit to ??????

Lui, I just toodle about in my Supe with the odd spirt on the foot pedal from time to time. My oil is clear as day as it gets changed so often so my operating temp is about 85 and I think the max it has ever been is about 93/94. My temp and pressure sensors are connected to a Greddy plate like what yours will be.

Oh yes, my pressure is the same as what TT has mentioned above! 80 on start-up then reducing to 20 when its warm!

Hmm i have a Greddy plate and my pressure can be as much as 130-140 stone cold, and hot it can be 90 - 110 at high RPM hot!

temp wise it will get to 117 max when booting it, but so i have been told that due to the location and the size of the oil ways you don't get a true reading, sump temps will be quite a bit cooler and the true pressure will also be less.

I have a temperature sensor in a sandwich plate between the filter and block as well. I see between 90 and 95degC under cruise, idle, etc. Fast cruise and booting it will get it to about 105degC, and a trackday saw 120degC at which point I'd stop and let it cool.

I've set my warning to about 115degC I think. A spirited blat on the road should never seen that.

-Ian

I have a temperature sensor in a sandwich plate between the filter and block as well. I see between 90 and 95degC under cruise, idle, etc. Fast cruise and booting it will get it to about 105degC, and a trackday saw 120degC at which point I'd stop and let it cool.

I've set my warning to about 115degC I think. A spirited blat on the road should never seen that.

-Ian

Just for info, I drove a 206GTi (180) through Germany a couple of years back. At an indicated 140mph for 20 minutes or so the oil temperature was hovering around 140-145C. I'd previously had meetings with both Mobil and Total tech reps who both suggested that their fully synthetic oils (the choice for this engine at the time)were good up to 150C.

This was backed up during engine development tests at this temperature.

Not sure about other makes of oil though and similarly, not sure whether this would read across to use of these oils at this temp within the Supra engine (although logic says it should read across).

Well yes but, the temperature at the oil filter isn't necessarily going to be the temperature in the oil galleries at the cylinder head and crankshaft :) So it may well be at 150degC in places, you can be sure it'll be well north of that if it's 150degC at the filter :)

I like my safety margins.

-Ian

Apart from location i think oil type, and i would Imagen that the type and accuracy of the gauges is going to have a big impact on the readings, for instance i have a fairly cheap pressure gauge, so i don't totally believe it, but i have a very accurate thermocouple gauge for temp which i have no reason to doubt.

Indeed, there will be wide variations throughout the oil system but it's worth mentioning that the 150C was sump temp IIRC.

Nothing wrong with being on the safe side and aiming low though.

Well, it took three or four laps to get it to 120degC at the filter, and that's with a single turbo and no oil cooler - in the summer :) So I think I'm fairly safe anyway.

With these observations, I must say I can't really see a need for an oil cooler unless you are doing serious track laps.

-Ian

I'd say the standard cooler's ample under all but the most arduous conditions, but the oil's obviously going to get a hard life due to the turbo's.

I'd imagine Toyota did a pretty thorough job during development with hot climate testing though, so we should be safe in this country even at high engine loads. :)

It would be interesting to see a map of the oil temp at different positons through the system during hard driving.

• 9 months later...

Do you guess know of some US based website where i can get adapter kits for the oil temp and pressure and even water temp sensors??

I'm aware of the lexus union bolt but that only allows for one plug --- can it be either the temp or pressure or just pressure?