The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this an enthusiasts club or a closed shop!!

VIL

This is not a moan as such but sometimes I just don’t get some people on this forum?

I am constantly surprised at some peoples reactions to new members when they come on the forum for the first time introducing themselves. These people have obviously found the club and registered their interest and I am sure want to get to know its members and benefit from what the club has to offer.

However, time after time we see people immediately digging at them, commenting on their spelling or punctuation….the list goes on! Why?

As an enthusiasts club we should be welcoming all comers and building the user base as much as possible, not putting people off immediately and slamming the door in their face.

I just don’t get the initiation ritual of ‘piss taking’ as I for one would never join a club who jumped on my every sentence, my spelling or gave me grief on my first few posts.

My personal opinion is that this club is the sum of its parts and if we are to encourage new members then a modicum of tolerance and understanding would not go amiss.

I rarely feel the need to comment but recently I have seen a few posts where this issue seems to be getting worse!

Rant over :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall you being all that active here and certainly can't remember you going out of your way to welcome all the lovely new people to the forum / club but you are entitled to your opinion as much as anyone, that includes those who don't want to see things go further downhill.

Compare and contrast...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=78597&

What's more important to the club? The old guard with their wealth of available knowledge or the feelings of some chav that won't stick around beyond their post limit anyway?

time after time we see people immediately digging at them, commenting on their spelling or punctuation….the list goes on! Why?

That'll be because we don't want the place turning into forum full text-speaking fuckwits.

You say the list goes on, what do you mean? Apart from the "gunna gt me a gud supra lk ur 1s" retards what else are newbies jumped on for?

Compare and contrast...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=78597&

What's more important to the club? The old guard with their wealth of available knowledge or the feelings of some chav that won't stick around beyond their post limit anyway?

I tend to agree, but why does it have to be an either or?

Equally who am I to decide what is right or wrong, good for the club or not....its not my decision or that of anyone else really...its a club and will attract all walks of life! Why should some people feel they need to stand guard over who should and should not contribute?

Sure I have views on individuals but tend not to air them as they my opinions and not that of the masses.

I also think that with the closed shop attitude it stops many people from joining beyond their post limit and does this club really not wish to be taking on any new members or take in any more membership fees?

In some instances I feel at times people on here can go too far, but at the same time there is a reason why this club is generally regarded as having a great reputation, and is an amazingly good resource, and that is because the moderators and members on here will not allow the forum to be dragged down to the levels of your average Corsa or Cruise forum.

In some instanaces I feel at times people on here can go too far, but at the same time there is a reason why this club generally redarded as having a great reputation, and is an amazingly good resource, and that is because the moderators and members on here will not allow the forum to be dragged down to the levels of your average Corsa or Cruise forum.

very well said:thumbs: the supra is a quality car & deserves quality people;)

You say the list goes on, what do you mean? QUOTE]

Off the top of my head there have been lots for spelling, one guy with a Ferrari that took a lot of piss taking recently and another that joined who had a (Supra, MR2 & Lambo) who everyone thought was talking s**t and actually it turned out he wasnt...I am sure there are lots more.

Off the top of my head there have been lots for spelling, one guy with a Ferrari that took a lot of piss taking recently and another that joined who had a (Supra, MR2 & Lambo) who everyone thought was talking s**t and actually it turned out he wasnt...I am sure there are lots more.

Who had a supra, mr2 and Lambo?

Surely not the one from like 18 months ago or something?!

You say the list goes on, what do you mean?

The guy with 348/355 mish-mash Ferrari was a bit odd anyway.

I must've missed the Lambo owning newbie's thread. Any chance of a link?

I can see both sides Vil.

Sometimes, like you, I cringe at what some of us "oldies" say to new people, and I think there are a (very) few people on here that are really brave when sat at home on their PC, but wouldn't dream of being so off-hand if they met the same person in a pub.

On the other hand, like many, I hate the thought of the club being "taken over" by chavy texters who are more worried about their street cred than anything else.

In the ideal world, we would all cut everybody a little slack until they proved themselves (or not) but I don't have huge sympathy for anybody asking " wots it wurf then" but that may be my advanced years !

G

I can see both sides Vil.

Sometimes, like you, I cringe at what some of us "oldies" say to new people, and I think there are a (very) few people on here that are really brave when sat at home on their PC, but wouldn't dream of being so off-hand if they met the same person in a pub.

On the other hand, like many, I hate the thought of the club being "taken over" by chavy texters who are more worried about their street cred than anything else.

In the ideal world, we would all cut everybody a little slack until they proved themselves (or not) but I don't have huge sympathy for anybody asking " wots it wurf then" but that may be my advanced years !

G

Wow, that saved me typing that out. Couldn't agree more, with all that you said.

Hmmm... I don't tolerate txt and gangsta speak at home with my own kids... I can't stand the 'I ain't done it, init' crap and they know it, so I'm happy for it to be the same here.

To be honest I enjoy the mature conversations here (Oh okay, I've just blown it with that statement)...

Well someone I know hasn't really been back since he was ever so slightly put out by the likes of Jake and Michael's sarcasm, we even had an email chat about it, me trying to say it's just our way and we do it to stop the chavs, and him saying it's not very nice for noobs etc. So I can see how a perfectly normal good bloke (or bird) can be upset by it, when it's just 'their way' to write like that.

Anyway, as has been said before, people who do write in txt talk should be allowed in, warned about it (not piss taken), and then allowed on their way - most regs on here will just ignore everything they write from then on anyway! :D