The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Giving up smoking

markymark

I gave up for 3 years untill march this year when everything went to s**t now i'm back on :( I will stop again though but as mentioned above the hardest thing was going to the pub although with the ban it did become a bit easier. Just stick with it i found that as i started to feel better in myself it got a lot easier, that's what i would probably focus on to help me stop this time. It's a strange but excellent feeling getting your health back :) Good luck mate!

Good luck with it. I quit about 5 years ago, 20 a day, 17 years, stopped dead on new years eve. Just went cold turkey. It was the hardest thing I ever did, and don't regret it.

The cravings will last for months, or years, I still fancy one every now and again, but the thought has gone within a few seconds.

Stick it out, don't give up or say "I'll just have the one, it won't hurt" it will set you back!

Good luck STICK WITH IT!!!!

Ian

I've been stopped for about 5 weeks now. I isolated myself from my friends for the first couple of weeks as most of them smoke and I knew I would be tempted. I smoked for 9 years. Had some really bad mood swings lately, I'm guessing this is because I'm craving cigs??

Will have to see how it goes! Good luck everyone else who is quitting :)

If you can avoid friends or situations where you would normally smoke for the first 2-4 weeks will help alot.if you can find a hobby to occupy your spare time would be good to but good luck m8

Kind advice, but I feel this is not necessary to turn in to a hermit. You don't even need will power. Yes you require the intention to stop, but remember- you're not giving up smoking, you're not giving up anything for that matter. You're getting your life back.

*steps down from soapbox*

Please check out the link I mentioned earlier.

I am not the author btw ;)

My girlfriend's sister swears by the Alan Carr book. I can see how it can help, but I just need to switch my mind to NOT smoking. Cold turkey I think will work best for me - I'm going to start the gym soon as a new hobby & have agreed that what I normally would spend on cigarettes now goes into a spending fund for me (& most importantly the car!) Then I'll actually physically see how much 'money' I was burning each month.

I have had the last 2 days off work, and chose it that way so I could have the worst mood swings/shakes/light heads at home. My parents & brothers smoke so took myself off to my mum's today to see if I could fight the urge - she was out so didn't get to test myself. Don't want to lock myself away but big help is no-one else in my house smokes so I have no temptations at home - apart from going through the bins for old dog ends :) Hope everyone else who's trying succeeds :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Kind advice, but I feel this is not necessary to turn in to a hermit. You don't even need will power. Yes you require the intention to stop, but remember- you're not giving up smoking, you're not giving up anything for that matter. You're getting your life back.

*steps down from soapbox*

Please check out the link I mentioned earlier.

I am not the author btw ;)

ooh thats deep dude :D i gave up simply cos i could no longer afford it found it very easy which surprised me but started again 5 years later when i met tracie now with the birth of our son we are both giving up again not so easy this time round :D

Guest Budz86
Well in a couple of hours it has been two weeks of cold turkey :) I think I done it! I haven't touched one cig and I've been able to sit around smokers without any issues.

Well in mate! Hope it last's!