The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my brakes are being a pig helpppppp!

banni_supra

hi i really need help with this as i am totally carless at the moment, and walking is not my favourite sport!!!

my front drivers side caliper was seized and would not pass an mot,

so a friend of mine was doing an 8pot upgrade and said i could have his. these were definetly working and i got them same day of his upgrade.

so i gave them to the mot garage and they fitted them along with goodridge brakelines,

brakes seem to bleed ok without any problems (using toyota 5.1 brake fluid 2.5ltrs) giving a rock hard pedal.

problem is when the engine is started brake pedal sinks to the floor, it does pump up but only whilst your foot is on it so they bled them with the engine running and it wouldnt harden up, went through furthest from master cylinder, nearest ect. checked the nipples are at the top of the calipers.

tried a power bleed, pressure bleed, man in car press pedal bleed,

replaced master cylinder seals, caliper seals, at no stage did it lose any fluid no leaks at all. the vacumn on the servo has been checked no leaks and the fluid is not going down.

i would say roughly this car has been bled 20+ times in total over 5 days the pedal is exactly the same no change at all from the first bleed. my garage has 4 mechanics all have tried all failed, ive tried also with no luck.

what i find strange is everything we have done to it, the pedal dynamics and feel have not changed from the start and i would of thought some change ie better worse same etc.

i now have an empty wallet and no mot and no brakes and need help urgently any and all help is anticipated.

my car is a 98 jap spec facelift 89000miles.

the donor calipers from a 95 jap spec 69000kms

same code on the calipers

in total 11ltrs fluid used cost me a fortune,

i am now into my sixth day and wits end and still no car.

thanks for looking.

Got a PM from the OP asking what to do. For the sake of the "community":

Block both MC ports off with proper plugs. Pedal still sinks? Master cylinder failed. Doesn't sink? Unblock and move to : Block outlet ports at ABS unit. Sinks? ABS unit fault. Doesn't sink? Unblock and move to: Clamp all 4 caliper hoses. Sinks? Leak in pipework. Doesn't sink? Unclamp one at a time until it does. Faulty caliper found. Sheeesh....Not rocket science is it?