The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No oil pressure!!

Lee P

Got a problem with my new engine, had a full rebuild recently and I noticed that sometimes the oil pressure light would take a few seconds to go out, it was fine for the first 150 miles or so it would go out straight away. I took it for a drive yesterday did about 60 miles stopped went to start it again and now the light stays on all the time! The engine has done 350 miles.

I fitted an oil pressure gauge to it today thinking it could be a faulty sensor but sure enough no oil pressure, at all!

Any ideas on what to check first before pulling the engine apart again, its a brand new toyota oil pump and all the internals are new.

Thanks

Lee

Well we took the oil pump off today and it is completely shot to bits. It was a new pump from toyota but I had my engine builder do a mod on it (front main seal drain hole). It would seem that he may have not cleaned out all the swarf when he reassembled it. The PRV was stuck open and the pump is destroyed, it doesnt look like its done any other damage, hopefully the filter caught most of it.

Going to order a new pump tomorrow and then get it all back together, dont think I will bother doing anything to this pump just leave it alone.

Martin I didnt think the 2JZ would rattle with no oil pressure because it has solid lifters? I didnt have any noise at all from the engine so Im hopeing its all fine, no noticable damage to the bearings.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Lee

sorry to hear this Lee, hopefully there's not too much damage.

i have however noticed that the oil pressure light on my n/a stays on for a second or two after firing up, is this anything to worry about or is it normal?

sorry for the hijack lee

sorry to hear this Lee, hopefully there's not too much damage.

i have however noticed that the oil pressure light on my n/a stays on for a second or two after firing up, is this anything to worry about or is it normal?

sorry for the hijack lee

mine stays on mate, its just whilst it builds the pressure up :) been fine for 2 yrs like it

Thankfully it was just at idle, we even took the oil filter off and cranked the car, no oil. The PRV was stuck open that was causing the light to stay on for a while after starting. When the light stayed on all the time I was already at my mates garage so we just turned it off and did the checks thats when the pump had given up completely.

Here are the pics of the pump, looks like it chewed its self up, maybe it was starved of oil at some point which led to this.

The only thing that springs to mind is that after the car had only done 100miles I took it to be mapped because it was running like shit. I only wanted it safe to run in but the person did drive it quite hard on the rollers and at one point it hit 19psi and blew a hose off (thankfully). I did think it was over the top for a new engine. I only had cheap 20w 50 oil in it because of running in but it got cooked to 120 C.

The first time I noticed a problem was that day after the 2 hours on the rolling road I took it for a drive parked it for 20 mins and when I came back and started it the oil light stayed on for about 5 seconds which it never did before. Thats when it started to get worse from there.

Oh well new pump coming wednesday then back together with an oil pressure gauge this time and see how it is.

Will keep you posted

Thanks

Lee

pump1.JPG

2pump.JPG

3pump.JPG

4pump.JPG

• 3 months later...
Will keep you posted

Liar! :D:D:D

Hi Lee

I found this thread when searching for oil pump replacement as I've got to do mine soon. (Low oil pressure warning light and knocking bottom end at tickover)

How did you get on with yours? Did just a new pump do the trick or did you need to replace lots of bearings and stuff?

Cheers mate

Liar! :D:D:D

Hi Lee

I found this thread when searching for oil pump replacement as I've got to do mine soon. (Low oil pressure warning light and knocking bottom end at tickover)

How did you get on with yours? Did just a new pump do the trick or did you need to replace lots of bearings and stuff?

Cheers mate

Jeez Jake, Blue one? Can't believe your luck. Your cursed I tell ya!