The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I think I actually hate my car!!!!!!

how_supra

Its actually cursed. I can’t actually work out what the point of my car is??

Just spent two hours sat on the side of the road because either my alternator or my battery is completely fooked – either way my battery is fooked, and im currently on my third alternator in 9 months, so Im praying to god its not that

But since I’ve owned the car I have had nothing but problem after problem. In the 18months + I’ve owned it, the problems I have so far had include:

• July 05 – noticed the front bumper was peeling
  • September 05 - Crankshaft failure, big ends gone. In the garage for 5 weeks
  • December 05 = Alternator 1 replaced with alternator 2
  • December 05 = Springs fitted
  • March 06= Alternator 2 replaced with alternator 3
  • March 06 =Faulty IFS
  • March 06= New fuel pump
  • March 06 =Faulty MAS
  • March 06 = KEYED TWICE
  • April 06 = Every pulley and belt replaced
  • May 06 = some dingbat drove into the rear quarter and dented it
  • July 06 = Rear Wheel Bearings
  • July 06 = went over the biggest pothole ever known to mankind and buckled my front wheel. Now replaced.
  • September 06 = Faulty MAP
  • October 06 = New battery needed and possibly alternator

I know most of them are only little things, and they are all mostly electrical, but really why??

Also suffers with sticky callipers and squeaky brakes. MOT and Tax are both due this month.

To be perfectly honest its doing my bloody head in.

What shall I do?

1)Scrap the car, use the equity to buy a runaround [Honda prelude or something] and save up for the TT that actually want?

2)Insurance job? [kidding off course :D]

3)Work on the assumption that there can’t actually be many more parts to replace and keep it?

4)Get what needs to be fixed fixed, get it fixed before the end of this month, PX it in its current condition for ANY car – NA supras on the card for example?

Edit: I forgot to mention about my exhaust baffles. They're gone too.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know most of them are only little things, and they are all mostly electrical, but really why?

it's not a Toyota :D

i'm loving my n/a right now to be honest. it's fast enough for me just now, not as lethal in the wet / ice as a TT and they're coming up for peanuts just now.

i know what i'd do ;)

LOL I must have been really bad in a former life. If its the alternator I am burning the car.......................[joke Sky I promise]

Im a bit specific with the supra is my only problem, I don't just want one for the sake of having one. Does that sound weird?

I will laugh if your next post says that the someone stole the car and burnt it...

:eyebrows:

Ive had that feeling before

had my car reversed into by the old guy across the road in the new year 2005 then while it was in getting fixed by a cowboy body shop had some bomex rear spatz fitted and ended up taking it back about 3 times they had the car for about 3 months all in all and i am still not happy with what they did but that's in the past now and i didn't want to take the car back to them again.

then a so called mate in november 2005 reversed into the passenger side door and wing and took about 3 months to sort that out, and then my electric ariel went

2005 was a bad year for my supra not as bad as what sounds has gone on with your motor but for a short period i hated my car

You seem to be unlucky - or your car was a bit of a lemon.

In 2 years of owning the FTO i did 60,000 miles and replaced the rear discs and pads, front pads (but not discs strangely) drop links front and rear and the ARB bushes. Oh and the tyres. I paid for an ITG and Mongoose + decat because i wanted one and apart from servicing her a lot (oooer) never once had a problem!

Sounds like a real case of bad luck.

m.

I read that list and looked on in horror at your bad luck and how you can have 3 alternators go in rapid succession when no-one else ever has one go. Then I realised it's not a Supra and sighed with relief :) Get and NA Aerotop and love it long time :)

-Ian

You seem to be unlucky - or your car was a bit of a lemon.

In 2 years of owning the FTO i did 60,000 miles and replaced the rear discs and pads, front pads (but not discs strangely) drop links front and rear and the ARB bushes. Oh and the tyres. I paid for an ITG and Mongoose + decat because i wanted one and apart from servicing her a lot (oooer) never once had a problem!

Sounds like a real case of bad luck.

m.

Thats what Vince [NobbyV4], Aweb, Gatesy, Harvs, H, Diabolu and others from the OC keep telling me, that its just bad luck as none of them have ever had any problems with theirs.

Also Eurospec changed my alternator so its not been at a cowboy garage [though I am beginning to wonder to be fair].

I read that list and looked on in horror at your bad luck and how you can have 3 alternators go in rapid succession when no-one else ever has one go. Then I realised it's not a Supra and sighed with relief :) Get and NA Aerotop and love it long time :)

-Ian

LOL, no not a supra, a supra would be far more reliable.

OMG talk about bad luck (or unreliable cars!)

yeah fix it, sell it asap and use the money towards a decent NA. The NA will be nice and reliable, allowing you to save up towards a nice TT. Then when you are ready, sell the NA and put the money with the savings on a decent TT and live happy ever after :D

no, it doesn't sound weird.

tell us what you're after and perhaps we could help you out? :)

I will swap yours for mine? :D

I am keeping my fingers crossed I have found one, I think, Im just waiting for the green light from the finance company [my current finance company]

But in the meantime I still have to get mine fixed. My MD has just paid for a battery for me, on an IOU, which was nice of him

OMG talk about bad luck (or unreliable cars!)

yeah fix it, sell it asap and use the money towards a decent NA. The NA will be nice and reliable, allowing you to save up towards a nice TT. Then when you are ready, sell the NA and put the money with the savings on a decent TT and live happy ever after :D

Click me

I've just been told by the dealership that its actually reading KMs still, so its actually more like 50,000 miles.

Sounds like you are just having bad luck with this car. I had a similar story with an MR2 Turbo which I had a few years ago. I only owned it for 5 months and in that time it was in the local garage for 2 1/2 months. Just got so annoyed in the end that I decided to cut my losses and get rid of it.

Mark

ahhh so you're looking, good good

the quicker you get rid of the fto the quicker you will stop throwing time and money away on it

Been thinking about it for a while. Been looking for a couple of weeks. It needs to go before the end of the month. If its not gone, Im giving Jezzy a shout. :D

Sounds like you are just having bad luck with this car. I had a similar story with an MR2 Turbo which I had a few years ago. I only owned it for 5 months and in that time it was in the local garage for 2 1/2 months. Just got so annoyed in the end that I decided to cut my losses and get rid of it.

Mark

Back in March I was having similar thoughts, but I decided to keep it, as Id already spent so much money on it - the engine blowing up cost me £2k alone. But enoughs enough really.

some cars are just nothing but trouble

don't know why, maybe it was badly made, maybe it has been poorly looked after in the past, maybe it was cursed after all

Its my own fault for buying one from a non club member [fto club that is] Im sure of it. There are so many weird things with my car, its obviously not been well maintained by the previous owner and because its an import I feel that they didn't always source the correct parts. But hey ho, hindsight is a pointless thing. :D

Aye i was worried about mine as i got it from a non club member - and off ebay for that matter although i did a 300 mile round trip to see it first.

Paid up because he had only had it a few months, the oil etc was all clear and it was covered in wee japanese service stickers.

didn't notice the rear wing had been sprayed until i got it home though!

Doh!

Still a stunning car though. The 3 alternator thing doesn't sit right though. There has to be another issue, i just can't see it being that unlucky.

m.

Actually thinking back to this morning, its kind of funny really

Driving along and things started to switch off

First my stereo

Then my dash lights started to dim

Then my lights to tell me what gear I was in, went

Then my windscreen wipers stopped

Then my dash lights went out

Then it died

Sort of gradually built up to it

I looked at 5 NAs the other weekend, 2 in Wycombe, 2 in Chesham and 1 in MK

Weekend just gone, looked at another 3, one of which was a second viewing

But Im just way too fussy.

Actually thinking back to this morning, its kind of funny really

Driving along and things started to switch off

First my stereo

Then my dash lights started to dim

Then my lights to tell me what gear I was in, went

Then my windscreen wipers stopped

Then my dash lights went out

Then it died

Sort of gradually built up to it

I looked at 5 NAs the other weekend, 2 in Wycombe, 2 in Chesham and 1 in MK

Weekend just gone, looked at another 3, one of which was a second viewing

But Im just way too fussy.

you just have to find a happy medium sabrina. you can be fussy to make sure you're getting what you want but at the end of the day these cars are mostly 10 - 12 years old so may need a bit of tlc.

hope you find one soon as you deserve a bit of luck!

oh, and the alternator thing doesn't sound right to me either. i wonder if there's another problem that's causing the alternator to go?