The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ducted FMIC

eyefi

i've almost finished my FMIC ducting project but run out of time for the moment. the ducting has made a considerable difference to how the air flows through the front. if you put your hand infront of the IC you can feel the draw from the stock fan behind the rad, which wasn't present before.

i was in two minds whether to mount the IC at a (vertical) angle so i thought i would try the most streamlined option first and mounted it at 90deg. it is showing no signs of needing any more help with the contact area, so i think it will be staying like that.

the IC is a HKS S-type (the small one) i can't see any need for anything any larger apart from ridiculous cars, it's nice and light and helps to keep the turbo to throttle volume down. air temps are superb off boost and at sustained 1.6bar they are still steady.

i used some thin aluminium sheets from B&Q for the construction, self threading screws, some small nuts and bolts, some hi modulus automotive sealant and a few pop rivets. the whole thing is super light.

the first job was to seal the front top of the IC to the crash bar. this sheet ends in a 45deg angle to help the air flow up to the rest of the rad behind. you can see the 2 pieces of metal that apply pressure to the sheet to keep it in contact with the IC top rater than fastening with anything that may cause a leak. it is also sealed.

FMIC ducting_1.jpg

FMIC ducting_2.jpg

Next was the trick part, getting it to seal underneath with the stock front tray. I cut the stock undertray to allow this custom box to go in place. This seals in the sides and bottom of the IC. It tucks up behind the rubber lip on the stock nose but I can’t help thinking it needs extending out to join with that lip to make a smoother front end.

FMIC ducting_6.jpg

FMIC ducting_7.jpg

FMIC ducting_9.jpg

have you done any high speed testing with the front undertray in place yet??

yep, in my own private wind tunnel :)

i went to some lengths to add strength where needed. any pop rivets have a steel washer behind them and all bolted areas have double washers the final one being quite large. it's stronger then the rear plasic undertray. it won't take kindly to being grounded though.