The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drive shafts

neo1

May need a new near side drive shaft, does anyone know how much these are brand new or if anyone does uprated after-market ones ?

But if anyone has bought one, a guide price would be good :)

definately have a bit of play from that area though :thumbdown

Not much point in going for an "uprated" one IMHO as the torque capacity limit is in the plunge joint. Uprating that will probably mean a different diff. Not 100% sure on that, but I've had experience of it on other cars.

I could probably get you the contact details for a company that could repair yours or even make you up a special if you really wanted, but it would almost certainly work out pricier than a new OEM one.

Toyota quoted me around £300 + VAT for a shaft with one of the CV joints on (only one is removable).

The shafts are different for various transmissions I think. For instance the 6spd manual has different length shafts to the Auto. The NA has smaller diameter shafts to the TT, presumably for strength. Also the ABS and non ABS shafts are different. Phew!

If the nearside shaft is the shorter of the two (I think it is), I have a TT, AUTO, ABS one available. It does have a couple of teeth missing from the ABS rotor, but you might be able to swap this from you old one.

Toyota quoted me around £300 + VAT for a shaft with one of the CV joints on (only one is removable).

The shafts are different for various transmissions I think. For instance the 6spd manual has different length shafts to the Auto. The NA has smaller diameter shafts to the TT, presumably for strength. Also the ABS and non ABS shafts are different. Phew!

If the nearside shaft is the shorter of the two (I think it is), I have a TT, AUTO, ABS one available. It does have a couple of teeth missing from the ABS rotor, but you might be able to swap this from you old one.

you can split the cv and change the abs rotor part and i have the end piece with the abs teeth on that you can have if you decide to take weinhelm up on his offer. :thumbs:

May need a new near side drive shaft, does anyone know how much these are brand new or if anyone does uprated after-market ones ?

But if anyone has bought one, a guide price would be good :)

definately have a bit of play from that area though :thumbdown

Neo if you pm me your chassis number and parts you need I can check out prices here, I can get most parts quite a bit cheaper than they are available there.

Only draw back would be order time would be around 4 weeks and then 1 week to send to UK, so if you need parts urgently you'll have to pay rip off UK prices :thumbdown:

Thanks for all your replys and offers. Its a J spec 6spd TT. Nick, when i get home i will send you the chassis number. I am stripping it down on Saturday so i can check everything for play and find out exactly what is wrong. If you roll with the clutch pedal down in first gear at about two miles per hour then lift the clutch pedal to move away just slightly quicker, there is a definate click and a little play from than near side rear drive train..... Im going to check the subframe, coilovers, everything to make 100% sure its the CV joint before i order anything. Again, thanks very much :) One last thing, where are these ABS rotors ? i have never noticed.... or am i just being blind.

do you know if the ABS rotor is a seperate part number or does it come with the shaft and CV joint. Anyone got any ideas :rtfm:

No worries. Sadly I don't think my shaft will work for your 6 spd.

The ABS rotors are on the CV joint on the hub end, you can't see them until you pull the shaft from the hub.... But don't do that just to get a peek at them!