The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Peace of mind

Guest Steam

Right, Well I finally got a supra, It's great and I love it to bits. However I have one or two niggles that I can't quite put my finger on.

First being that when changing up gear, about a second or two after shifting there is a loud metalic clunk from the rear of the car. Now I suppose this could be to do with gearbox oil.

Secondly I am noticing a hell of a lot of road noise from the rear of the car, it sounds unlike any ive heard before, like a low pulsing that gets faster with speed, but at lower speeds is inaudible.

Now if the two are related i'm assuming this would be a propshaft problem?

The car is still under warrenty from the import garage, but I just wanted an opinion on whether or not I was being paranoid or not.

p.s if you like i can record a sound clip of what im talking about.

Would anybody be able to recommend someone who would be able to drive and assess what the problem is. I think It might be me being paranoid, but the car seems very very sensitive to wind, and also any slight groove in the road is followed by the car, it seems almost over sensitive.

You have an absolutely classic, text book example of wheel bearing failure and associated hub to outer C/V joint spline wear. the rumble is the bearing, the clunk the take up in the worn hub splines. You need to change the driveshaft and the hub flange, and the hub bearing, on that side. If you take out the cotter pin on the hub flange nut you will find the nut has lost its high stock torque, if you *remove* the nut you will see the tell tale signs of rust dust in the dish of the hub flange, behind the nut. You culod risk secondhand parts, but new will be a LOT safer. Check the torque on the driveshaft to hub nut on the *other* side as well. I see loads of these failures nowadays. None stock offset wheels don't help, nor do drag starts and general driving that wouldn't have been the norm when the car was a near 50K new car ;)

Well considering I've only had the car for a week, Im assuming this would be covered. Is there anyone that could check and confim the problem for me before i ring the garage?

Just off topic!! Where in west midlands are you? Im in Shirley...

Not aimed at me, but Solihull here bud and have never seen you around. I often pop into Shirley too. You may of heard about a recent Motorbike accident down the main town centre which was the last visit I made there. :(

Not aimed at me, but Solihull here bud and have never seen you around. I often pop into Shirley too. You may of heard about a recent Motorbike accident down the main town centre which was the last visit I made there. :(

Hello Mate yes i did :( im normally arround more at weekend than in the week.. work near the fire station in sollihull... we'll have to meet up sometime.:)

Indeed bud. It would be good to hook up for a beer sometime, a chat, and perhaps.............a cheeky ride in your Supe as I'm now without :innocent:

Do you know what happened to the guy or have you heard any news about it? I reported it to the police as I was a witness of course. It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen.

Indeed bud. It would be good to hook up for a beer sometime, a chat, and perhaps.............a cheeky ride in your Supe as I'm now without :innocent:

Do you know what happened to the guy or have you heard any news about it? I reported it to the police as I was a witness of course. It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen.

To be honest im not sure mate... i heard about it.. you will have to tell what u saw.. i can imagine it was scarey especially for Shirley.....

Catch up with you soon bud.