The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bottom End Gone Maybe??

terribleturner

I've got some VIDEO i took when i got back that you can hear it on, but the basic sound was a knocking noise on throttle. It also made the noise when i turned the car over again but not when ideling. Sounds just like when Sabrinas engine went but her's was all the time.

So what do people think it is??

What roughly am i looking at to spend to fix (and how long)??

And is there anything worth upgrading while it's being done??

I'm off to go cry now :cry:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't sound good mate, but as I said in my PM I wonder if it could be a dead TC. I'm not sure if the TC is engaged while the car is in park... Did it drive okay (apart from the knocking)?

Drving was fine. Temps had just gone up to 130 and i was backing it off to cool down when Sabrina said could i hear the noise.

Look on the bright side, if it was going to go when under BPU, it'd sure have gone with a big single. Best it goes now than after you spend all that time and effort fitting the single only to find it goes pop.

If it is the bottom end it might give you the opportunity to build a really solid motor from the ground up. It needn't cost a fortune, provided you can do some of the removal and fitting yourself :)

The turbo sills were leaking and i did have oil making it's way out, but i had topped it up before we left this morning and should have been more than fine.

The silver linning is that i can now get the bits replaced with new stronger bits just in time for the new turbo going on.

I wouldn't mind having a go myself but think i'll leave it to the experts :(

Yeah sorry to hear what doesn't sound to good.

Sounded fine the other night in Canary Wharf, Blackwall Tunnel n Millenium Dome, just goes to show.... you never know.

Hopefully no more than a set of shells, guess new set of rings wouldn't do any harm before the Single goes on too.

Although if you were planning on changing rods n pistons it's gonna get pretty costly, you may even end up in 3.2l or 3.4l "remortgage the house" stroker kit territory!

:help:

Thats shit luck James....but as Darryl said maybe a good thing it went now before you fitted the single. Doesnt sound like a bottom end rattling tbh, may be wrong. May be worth takeing the cam covers off and seeing if its valve/cam related. If you need any help gimme a shout