The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pinking on a low mileage, standard TT

Ewen

Mods please move if not technical enough...

'98 TT VVTi, on 33,000 miles. Stock except for Nur Spec cat-back. Shell high-end fuel for last two years. No gauges, so I cant tell you afr's etc.

I've had slight pinking on an off for a year or so, not often, always at low speeds / revs, mainly on inclines.

I thought it had gone away, but still there every now and again.

I'm coming up for a service, and I have funds to replace whatever is needed.....advice please ?

I've a new O2 sensor.

Air-filter is stock, and will be replaced.

Fuel filter will be replaced.

I hope I'm not totally coked up.

Plugs...I've read they can be linked to pinking / det. I want to make sure the plugs are correct when changed, so what are the ideal plugs for me ?

Coil-packs...likely cause of det ? Is it sensible to replace at this age and mileage ?

Fuel pump...same again, good idea to replace / up grade at this mileage ?

Any other replaceable item that could cause det ?

As ever, advice is really appreciated.

Det is usually caused by Too much Heat and or pre ignition- Period. The cause of too much heat is what you usually need to address on a Di engine.

So, I also double-check the smic.

Carbon build-up can cause pre-ignition I've read:(

Mods please move if not technical enough...

'98 TT VVTi, on 33,000 miles. Stock except for Nur Spec cat-back. Shell high-end fuel for last two years. No gauges, so I cant tell you afr's etc.

I've had slight pinking on an off for a year or so, not often, always at low speeds / revs, mainly on inclines.

I thought it had gone away, but still there every now and again.

I'm coming up for a service, and I have funds to replace whatever is needed.....advice please ?

I've a new O2 sensor.

Air-filter is stock, and will be replaced.

Fuel filter will be replaced.

I hope I'm not totally coked up.

Plugs...I've read they can be linked to pinking / det. I want to make sure the plugs are correct when changed, so what are the ideal plugs for me ?

Coil-packs...likely cause of det ? Is it sensible to replace at this age and mileage ?

Fuel pump...same again, good idea to replace / up grade at this mileage ?

Any other replaceable item that could cause det ?

As ever, advice is really appreciated.

Det/knock is quite common on EFI engines, at low RPM high load ie hills etc, especially in hot weather, i have had a few that did it with no ill effects, its just the mapping, you only really want to start worrying if it occurs at high RPM/boost areas.

Ewen, I'd say "get it over to Stuart at Toyoda Tech", but then I always say that when things go wrong!

33k miles on virtually stock boost shouldn't have done for your plugs yet - they should be good for ~60k, and your intercooler can't possibly be shot yet - mine's got no fins left, and is full of leaves and ciggy butts, but my charge temp is sort of OK...