The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Generic Rant Thread

michael

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit confused about that one. It annoys you why exactly?

Because there are many faster, more original, more exclusive cars at the same or similar prices. I just don't get or understand what would make someone buy a 911 brand new

Its my personal and many of my other pistonhead mates pet peeve. I recall even Clarkson going out on about it on top gear and I am not a Clarkson fan.

DaveK why would you buy one new? I should ask someone who bought one new and that may help me why people buy these new. You can't answer "I like the shape" as every 911 looks the same more or less.

Because there are many faster, more original, more exclusive cars at the same or similar prices. I just don't get or understand what would make someone buy a 911 brand new

Its my personal and many of my other pistonhead mates pet peeve. I recall even Clarkson going out on about it on top gear and I am not a Clarkson fan.

DaveK why would you buy one new? I should ask someone who bought one new and that may help me why people buy these new. You can't answer "I like the shape" as every 911 looks the same more or less.

Perhaps people don't buy them for exclusivity?

I looked at Ferrari's a couple of years ago. However - they are impractical, and at least on the 10 year old ones build quality is questionable to say the least.

A 911 is a very capable car, and (relatively speaking) is practical for every day use.

If I had millions, I'd happily buy more exotic cars. However - with a limited budget, if I wanted to spend £60-70K on a new car I'd seriously consider a 911. And if my budget was £100K, the 911 turbo would top the list.

Perhaps people don't buy them for exclusivity?

I looked at Ferrari's a couple of years ago. However - they are impractical, and at least on the 10 year old ones build quality is questionable to say the least.

A 911 is a very capable car, and (relatively speaking) is practical for every day use.

If I had millions, I'd happily buy more exotic cars. However - with a limited budget, if I wanted to spend £60-70K on a new car I'd seriously consider a 911. And if my budget was £100K, the 911 turbo would top the list.

I still don't get it. Why wouldn't you get a GTR? Is it because it has a Nissan badge? Or a corvette c6? Audi R8? They are spectacular cars to look at, talk about and admire.

Those 3 cars are beautiful, original and you'd be the talk of the street. Or just get a ...911 like the man next door.

I don't get it. I buy a sports car for the exclusivity/speed/comfort/unique flowing lines and I love striking up conversation about interesting unusual cars I have been lucky enough to own. A 911 imo doesn't fit into that category for me - yes its fast, but its not unique.

Fair enough you may like it and I have friends who own them. I might even get one when they drop to a price I think its worth getting for but at the moment I just see far nicer cars out there for the money.

I STRESS this is my opinion! I won't bite your head off for buying one new or liking them, but I just don't get why you'd spend full price on one. 2nd hand fair enough,..new? hmmm.

I still don't get it. Why wouldn't you get a GTR? Is it because it has a Nissan badge? Or a corvette c6? Audi R8? They are spectacular cars to look at, talk about and admire.

I woudn't get a GTR because frankly, I think they're ugly and they do not - in any way - fulfill what I want from a car. It's nothing to do with the badge.

I wouldn't have a Corvette because I don't believe Americans can make cars that go round corners, and I don't want LHD (and if I did, a Viper would be the only option).

Audi R8s are OK - sometimes I think they look nice, sometimes I don't. I'd consider one but doubt I'd buy one.

But I think that's the problem. You're saying you don't understand why people would buy a 911 because it's not "special" enough - but your assumption is that people buy them because they have a car they can talk about / look flash to their neighbours. Maybe some do - but it's not why I'd want one. I've owned my 964 for 7 years. It's an entirely capable car, a huge amount of fun to drive and still remarkably reliable for a car that's almost 20 years old. I don't think 911s are what they used to be - but I do still think they are practical supercars and - regardless of your opinion - I actually do think 997s look very good indeed. If I bought one, it would be because it did meet my requirements.

The thing that confuses me is why it bothers you that other people do buy them.

I woudn't get a GTR because frankly, I think they're ugly and they do not - in any way - fulfill what I want from a car. It's nothing to do with the badge.

I wouldn't have a Corvette because I don't believe Americans can make cars that go round corners, and I don't want LHD (and if I did, a Viper would be the only option).

Audi R8s are OK - sometimes I think they look nice, sometimes I don't. I'd consider one but doubt I'd buy one.

But I think that's the problem. You're saying you don't understand why people would buy a 911 because it's not "special" enough - but your assumption is that people buy them because they have a car they can talk about / look flash to their neighbours. Maybe some do - but it's not why I'd want one. I've owned my 964 for 7 years. It's an entirely capable car, a huge amount of fun to drive and still remarkably reliable for a car that's almost 20 years old. I don't think 911s are what they used to be - but I do still think they are practical supercars and - regardless of your opinion - I actually do think 997s look very good indeed. If I bought one, it would be because it did meet my requirements.

The thing that confuses me is why it bothers you that other people do buy them.

It bothers me because each sale they get detracts from more original sports car manufacturers like Lotus and TVR who in turn struggle to stay afloat despite experimenting with far more unique designs and creating imo far more special sports cars.

Mazda gave up the rx7 which was to take on the porsche 911. Unfortunately it failed but to me that car will forever be a legacy on any 911 and thus car manufacturers like Mazda and Toyota are v.edgy when it comes to producing another supercar like the rx7 and supra.

It annoys me Mr porsche adds LEDs or makes v.minor changes to the shape of his cars, thus the basic chassis which performs superbly stays the same - and he makes tweaks technologically to the mechanics and he gets away with it as a new model and sells loads.

Mr TVR and Mr wankel must be tossing in their graves.

Mazda gave up the rx7 which was to take on the porsche 911. Unfortunately it failed but to me that car will forever be a legacy on any 911 and thus car manufacturers like Mazda and Toyota are v.edgy when it comes to producing another supercar like the rx7 and supra.

I nearly bought an RX7 about 10 years ago. I didn't, because a Mazda dealer told me that they were fantastic cars - that needed an engine rebuild roughly every 45k miles. That is why I didn't buy one.

Personally, I don't rate the Supra as a supercar at all. The ability to add lots of power with big turbos is not enough. My 964 is vastly more fun than my Supra - and vastly more fun than the TT supra I used to own. Personal opinion obviously, but given the choice between a modern day RX7, a modern day Supra and a 911 - for me, the Jap ones wouldn't even get a look in.

Since we're in a rant thread anyway - the thing that really bugs me is the general view on here that Supra's are the holy grail of motor cars. They really are not. Mine is adequate for what I want from a daily runaround. From a sports car perspective - my 964 is better in every way - in my personal opinion.

EDIT : Incidentally - I'm not sure you can blame Porsche for the failure of the RX7 or Supra. Look back at history - in the late 80s / early 90s Porsche was in BIG financial trouble, and selling very few 911s. It certainly can't be blamed for the failure of competing cars during the same period. Only in the mid 90s and onwards did Porsche start to pick up - by which time, it was too late for Supra's and RX7s anyway.

I agree re: supras not being the holy grail. Was an utter stunner back in the day though.

And fair play for your reasons for not buying a rx7. I still think a £3k servicing every 45k miles is worth it for such a legendary car. Relatively speaking it wasn't that pricey either when it came out.

Anyway, I just think its such a shame the supercar market is so thin on the ground now with very few ground breakingly new models compared to the 1990s. It's clearly because manufacturers are scared of making new original supercars - unfortunately the economic climate isn't any better either. Everyone is now re-releasing past successful cars like the mustang and GT40.

Anyway I guess we have ranted enough about 911s. :blahblah:

Lets talk about something else ;)

EDIT : Incidentally - I'm not sure you can blame Porsche for the failure of the RX7 or Supra. Look back at history - in the late 80s / early 90s Porsche was in BIG financial trouble, and selling very few 911s. It certainly can't be blamed for the failure of competing cars during the same period. Only in the mid 90s and onwards did Porsche start to pick up - by which time, it was too late for Supra's and RX7s anyway.

I thought the rx7 and supra only came out in 94, which was when porsche finished them off :cry:

Talking about the later marques btw. Sorry I wasn't clear before. The previous rx7s and supras I believe sold very well.

They do have a reputation for making cars like this, but Corvette's certainly can go around corners very quickly. I've driven my brother's C5 Z06.;)

Did you see Top Gear a few weeks ago when they were over in the US?

A Corvette ZR1 would be at the top of my shopping list if I won the lottery.

They do have a reputation for making cars like this, but Corvette's certainly can go around corners very quickly. I've driven my brother's C5 Z06.;)

Did you see Top Gear a couple of weeks ago?

A Corvette ZR1 would be at the top of my shopping list if I won the lottery.

Don't tend to watch Top Gear these days. It would still lose out to the Viper if I decided to go American though. There's just something about they way they look......

Although given the size of the engine I think you'd have to stop at every petrol station you passed.......

You really should drive one of the latest corvettes, i had one as a hire car on my recent trip (2k miles) and i was like you expecting a lardy yank tank.

I was totally blown away by how well it handled, pushing it through the twisties it felt so planted a flick of the knob switched it from comfort to sport and turn in was really good, it felt like a smaller car than it actually is.

Faster than a bpu supra too, and not too bad on fuel.

People who leave a "log" in the toilet.

Drivers who don't use their indicators: it's a dying art these days!

Mainly drivers, but potentially anyone who lives life in their own little bubble and doesn't care what effect their actions have on others, as long as they aren't disadvantaged in any way.

Poor grammar!

Using lol all the time. When people write "lol", I very, very rarely laugh out loud at what's been written. It's usually an indicator that what's been written has the same comedic value as me eating my sandwiches. Maybe I should film that, post it on YouTube and have people lol'ing in the aisles.

Those stupid orange adverts at the cinemas before a film comes on. These is no saying on earth able to describe how annoying they are. I just don't find them funny at all.

Just reminded me. Monumental product adverts that show many clips of the main feature, just before the main feature.

When I went to see Bond a few weeks back, not thinking, I went into the cinema on time (rather than 25 mins later) and sat through a mini *Bond-coke, Bond-PS3, Bond-mens perfume, Bond Bond Bond* film fest. Christ on a bike! Bond on a bike etc etc...Then finally I watched a film they'd actually made with him in it.

I'm not ranting, but I hate schedules and all those middle management spuds who think putting coloured bars on a spread sheet is some sort of higher intelligence.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes to this one.

Would you like me to get the £0.7M deliverable in on time or spend all my time answering to this system we should never have bought and STILL not getting the numbers required from it?

:banghead:

:angry:

:bang:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FECK OFF!!!!!!!

I feel a little better now. :taped: :D

grrrrr, just went out and bought some nice Crimbo cards for the family. my biggest rant about Christmas is that shops start it in October! But why do they have to make the cards out of stupid glossy paper/card that you cant write on unless you use a marker pen! Ballpoint is like etching your name in and fountain just wont dry! grrrrrrrrrrrr