The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam Base Circle Dia?

Tricky-Ricky

Well like Chris says its really only going to be a rough measurement without the properer equipment, but i just wanted a reasonable approximation, I'll explain, i have bought a HKS 256 inlet cam, but on checking the overall hight i find that its pretty much the same as std hight, which worried me as it supposed to be 8.7mm lift and not 7.8mm which is std, suddenly remembered that if i got the base circle dia i could work out the lift, so i measured the BCD and yes i know it all depends on the amount of ramp the cam has, but after measuring i found that it did indeed work out to 8.7mm lift, and if that is the case, then the amount of shimming that will be needed will be more! (has anyone found this with HKS cams?)

So its either that or this cam has had a regrind, which is my point for the question.

OK, HKS cams in that configuration do have the quoted lift, but they keep the tappet clearance part of the "base circle" very close to stock, to minimize shimming. I can measure the smallest OD of a lobe (inlet or exhaust?) as a comparison, but this may well not be what you consider the "base circle diameter" as it may not centreline on the true cam centreline As a comparison it should be fine though. It won't get done today, maybe tomorrow.

I've got a set of stock cams that I can stick in a couple of V-blocks and measure the actual cam profiles using our laser scanner, and will be able to give you the exact dims.

I'll have a quick go at it after work if the cams are still here (change them here at work and can't remember if I took them home or not).

I've got a set of stock cams that I can stick in a couple of V-blocks and measure the actual cam profiles using our laser scanner, and will be able to give you the exact dims.

I'll have a quick go at it after work if the cams are still here (change them here at work and can't remember if I took them home or not).

Sounds cool :eyebrows:

Here's the screen grabs of my J-spec 110Kmile old cam profiles:-

The No.1 camshaft (IIRC that's the inlet) The base circle diameter is 35.419mm

Here's the No.2 camshaft. The base circle diameter is 35.381mm

If there is a particular dimension anyone wants me to measure then let me know.

I've also attached the .catpart documents that anyone should be able to open in Catia V5 and also the IGES files, which should be able to be opened in most anything. One thing to be aware of though is that I used a 10mm dia probe when measuring these, so you should take that into account. (I could have offset the surfaces inwards by 5mm, but to be honest.... I forgot!)

;)

J-spec camshaft profiles.zip

Thanks for that, but i did forget that i would also need an overall hight dimension from lobe to base dia please.

Also just put a mike on mine again and got 36.068 converted from imperial, i know its possible may be getting a bit of the ramp in that measurement, but its interesting that if its right it would almost negate the extra lift of the cam.

Ah be careful though. I don't think you can measure the base diameter with an internal micrometer as the base circle of the cam shaft isn't a full half circle, it's only actually radial for about 20 degrees at the bottom.

I'll sort out what the lift is later today....

Exactly, that's what i was trying to get across, without measuring from the central axis of the cam, with (say) the journals in V blocks, or an a cam measuring fixture with 3 axis probe, you can't put a micrometer across the smallest OD and necessarily get the base circle diameter.

OK for the no.1 camshaft the lobe to base circle centre is 26.36mm.

This gives a total rise of 8.65mm.

For the no.2 camshaft the lobe to base circle centre is 27.03mm.

This gives a total rise of 9.34mm.

Again this should be accurate to about 10 microns (0.01mm).

Hope that helps!

Thanks Tony:)

just for reference, according to the manual the tolerance for the cams is

intake - 44.570 - 44.670

exhaust - 44.770 - 44.870

the trouble is those figures for lift can't be right according to Toyota as they 7.8 mm for intake and i think 8.4 mm for exhaust, so I'm slightly more confused now:blink: