The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric shavers

CJ

I have always been a foam and razor type guy but as my old Mum is struggling to think of anything to buy me - well, anything that will fit into a suitcase so that I can take it back and not have top pay weight charges - I was thinking of maybe trying an electric shaver.

As those of you who know me will testify, it will be worked quite hard as I shave my face and head daily so would need to be fairly robust. :D

I have electric supplied into my bathroom so can use that or a battery model but would prefer the choice TBH. Bear in mind this is a present from my Mum so a model under £50 would be preferred.

Any recommendations?

Any recommendations?

No.

But I'm curious as to which type is supposedly "best", the 3 circular head ones or the foil type ones? I had an old 3 circular head one years ago and it was pretty crap and I never really bothered with it. Of course it was a very cheap one so may have been down to that.

I guess you'll not go wrong with a known brand, Braun, Philishave?

Wet & Dry is a must IMO, you can still use a shaving oil and keep the blades and foil free of rogue fluff.

I presume the shops will be packed with offers on such things at the moment, for the £50 mark Argos have a few at half price.

I've always liked Remington ones personally but obviously the other big names like Braun will be just as good - Argos example again, Remington F7 Diamond Series F710 wet and dry, £89.99 down to £39.99.

One thing to consider is the cost and availability of replacement foils and cutters etc - I'm not sure if this happens with this kind of thing but a lot of products are sold quite cheaply on the basis that parts are expensive later, price these up before you commit.

I've never had a decent shave from a lecky razor. Unless they've improved beyond all recognition in the last few years, they ain't worth bothering with.

While we're on this subject, my old twin blade gillette razor finally wore out last week- blades won't stay clipped into the handle anymore. I've only had it for 15 years too !

Anyway, I asked the Mrs to get me another one. She came home with one of those wanky five blade things - WTF is that about? Is it just me or have you got no chance of getting at the hair s where your nose meets your top lip? Seems like the 5 blade head thing is just too big to get into the nooks and crannies.

While we're on this subject, my old twin blade gillette razor finally wore out last week- blades won't stay clipped into the handle anymore. I've only had it for 15 years too !

Anyway, I asked the Mrs to get me another one. She came home with one of those wanky five blade things - WTF is that about? Is it just me or have you got no chance of getting at the hair s where your nose meets your top lip? Seems like the 5 blade head thing is just too big to get into the nooks and crannies.

It's crap isn't it, I think they reached the optimum balance with the Sensor Excel personally, like you I recently ended up with a forced upgrade to something with lots of blades, lubricating strips, magical textured bits to lift the hair and so on - I ended up with a crap shave and it was like torture.

I'm back to using a beard / hair trimmer without a depth guide at the moment but when I need an interview shave I go for the electric razor and am happy enough with the finish it gives.

Gillette Mach3 Turbo FTW! Actually the only difference between that and the non-turbo one seems to be that the turbo one has a "lubricating strip", but it has to be faster right? I couldn't be seen dead using a crappy NA model.

It's all a big con, those Gillette Fusion 5 blade things are a fortune for the blades alone, and I believe I read that the Fusion power blades would fit on the non power handle but not the other way around? The power blades are more expensive too, why? They look the same FFS, why should they be any different?

I liked the Gillette Contour Plus wet shave - couple of blades, small head - perfect. However when the Sensor Excel was introduced I was pleasantly suprised how long the blades stayed sharp...4 to 5 times that of the C+.

I have never found an electric Razor worth bothering with CJ although I have never spent big money on one or had a wet/dry version. I would imagine they are much better. If I were looking again I'd probably get a straight (foil?) type one over a 3 way thing - less chance of going "against the grain" so to speak and potentially getting some rash/ingrown hairs as a result.

My current electric one is fine for the cheek area but a total mightmare on neck/throat area - I never used to get shaving rash until I used an electric razor so now pretty much only use it for sideburn/beard trimming.

Weapon of choice at the moment is the vibrating Gillette orange multiblade wet shave razor - not 100% sure what's it's called :D

I haven't had great shaves from electric, they are ok if your running late and want to look acceptable but they never beat a good wet shave. How about a decent cut throat razor ? can you take that back home in luggage ?

Braun 8995 360 Complete Shaver,;) this one is not far off though;)

I found the straight foil things (I had a Remington) to be absolutely shit, and the rotary Philips to be quite good. They work well when the hair is just light stubble. If you let it get too long they're not so good. They always miss some though, and I end up trying to pull them out for hours, looking weird with my head sideways.

This is a fascinating thread, I figured most people moved onto electric shavers, turns out most people are still razorblade and foam types. On the ODD occasion when I shave I got myself one of those weird vibrating 5 blade jobbies, does a great job and has lasted me 2 years so far on 2 sets of blades :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Braun-8585-Activator-Mens-Electric-Razor_W0QQitemZ140186492465QQihZ004QQcategoryZ11844QQcmdZViewItem

There ya go I have used a version of this for nearly 5 years. They are awesome and they clean themselves. The new pulsonic is supposed to be simply amazing but I don't have way over a ton for one.

Now that's what my Remington was like, and it was rubbish!

Oh well. Maybe the cutter shape/design doesn't really come into it.

Now that's what my Remington was like, and it was rubbish!

Oh well. Maybe the cutter shape/design doesn't really come into it.

Trust me mate my face falls apart usually with any shaving method. This braun one is the dogs danglies. I've tried remington ones and they caused very nasty face problems. The fact it steriles itself every day is a bonus and I think helps keep it cutting properly all the time. Also the foil technology has a hell of a lot to do with it yes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Braun-8585-Activator-Mens-Electric-Razor_W0QQitemZ140186492465QQihZ004QQcategoryZ11844QQcmdZViewItem

There ya go I have used a version of this for nearly 5 years. They are awesome and they clean themselves. The new pulsonic is supposed to be simply amazing but I don't have way over a ton for one.

That went for a bloody good price but as my mother is buying it, there was no way she could go on Ebay and bid. :(