The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Purely selfish insurance question

TrickTT

It seems like every day there is another "I've crashed my supra" thread:(. This year seems unusually bad for it. Of course it is bad news both for the club and for the members involved - at least nobody has been badly hurt.

Thing is, insurance premiums are at least partly based on crash statistics for the make and model of car, so does this mean everbodys insurance is going to go through the roof next year:eek:

Take it easy out there guys.

I mentioned this in another thread a while back. As the price of Supras decreases the age of owners decreases and the more risk associated with the Supra and the higher the premiums will become (to an extent) That being said a few members who have crashed were what i would consider experienced drivers.

Fear not. Once the insurers spot that there was oil/diesel/whatever reason you want on the road they'll not load the premiums.

This will only be true if they also see a corresponding increase in the same types of accident for all other cars. After all, all makes/models are using the roads and if there isn't something inherent in the makeup of the Supra or the type of person who drives it, then all models will show similar increases in their rate of being involved in accidents.

If any one model of car is having more accidents than others, it will have premiums loaded against it. It's simple risk assessment.

At the end of the day, if you bin it and no-one else was to blame, it goes down as a 'lost control' fault accident. The 'oil on the road' being blamed doesn't really matter to the insurance company as far as individual claims are concerned. In fact, I'm not sure they even have a specific accident reason that includes oil on the road.

I was thinking the same thing when i got ran off the road, sh*t i hope TrickTT's insurance premium doesnt rise next year as i hit the wall. Later that night, i started to think how insignificant the 10's of thosands of pounds i was now facing seemed in light of an extra £30/40 on the average premium. I'm sorry mate that i was chased and ran off the road. I feel really bad now :(

I was thinking the same thing when i got ran off the road, sh*t i hope TrickTT's insurance premium doesnt rise next year as i hit the wall. Later that night, i started to think how insignificant the 10's of thosands of pounds i was now facing seemed in light of an extra £30/40 on the average premium. I'm sorry mate that i was chased and ran off the road. I feel really bad now :(

..........and so you should Matt...;)

My own personal view is that I'm ok. I have a "slow" car and therefore the chances of crashing are minimised. My latest mod is to attach large amounts of bubble wrap to the four corners of the car and also in the middle of the bumpers should a lamp post jump out at me without warning!!

H.

Speaking of which Matt, where did they hit you to ram you off the road, surely the old CSI bods can get paint transfer etc etc off it to support your case or at least find the blighters?

-Ian

They didnt touch me, but fear not Ian, everything is seemingly progressing well at the moment on the legal side

Wasn't refering to anyone in particular, and its a valid question that affects everyone on the forum. I was thinking more about 'no other vehicle involved' spins and skids etc that seem very common this year. Nice to know you were thinking about me though:hug:

Also, does anyone know (Sky?) if they group all supras together in accident stats, or do they break it down by model RZ, GZ etc

I didn't claim on my insurance for my first half-write-off, I just worked really hard for months whilst driving a 4spd 1L Nova and buying as many used parts as possible. I had to claim the second time around because another party was involved, and the car was totally irreparable :(

Really? so a GZ might be lower risk than say an RZ? seems odd to me because most insurance companies dont have a clue about the import model differences. there was only ever one model for the UK so surely they would all get lumped together in the majority of companies

When I was looking to buy I did quotes on both UK/import 6 speeds and autos.

Automatics came out nearly 10% cheaper while imports were 260% the cost of insurance on a UK car.

Interesting.....

That's another argument for the auto boys, then. Insurance is slightly cheaper. Why? Because the auto is either cheaper to repair or must be crashed less often....

Especially interesting as there's probably more autos on the road, no? Maybe they're a LOT safer....? :innocent:

Interesting.....

That's another argument for the auto boys, then. Insurance is slightly cheaper. Why? Because the auto is either cheaper to repair or must be crashed less often....

Especially interesting as there's probably more autos on the road, no? Maybe they're a LOT safer....? :innocent:

I have always thought it was because the real hardcore racers/petrol heads will prefer manuals and I assume they have a higher accident rate.

It may also be that with all cars automatics have less accidents then manuals and this is reflected in the premium.

sorry , just seen this thread. Claims stats are indeed broken down into models... they are also broken down into auto and manuals...

Ollie

Sky Insurance

So you should be paying me each month for my GZ aero auto then:D

Or more old people buy automatics and they are a danger on the road anyway,

I'm very old:p , but mine still makes more power than yours until you get that single bolted on:D