The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbos ,Turbos , Turbos

Tee from China

Have we had some rpm related rod (or rod bolt failures) on this board then?

I've certainly read of rod bolt failures on here yes, but generally we don't go stupid with rev limits over here. Plenty of destroyed engined over on Supra forums though, and plenty more that you never hear about. They tend to keep things quiet over there sometimes when things go wrong I've noticed.

Common sense.

You've not been looking very hard then have you? I know of several engines letting go at much less revs. Are you just trying to get a rise or are you really that naive? How many 2JZ-GTE's have you seen revving to 9000+ RPM over there then?

Well I've been looking pretty hard, struggling to find many engine failures like Chris's. Most failures on here are det related (due to poor mapping or build) or just plain worn out.

Whos engines were these that failed due to excessive rpm?

I have searched very hard, both on here and SF. There seem to be very few threads regarding failure due to high revs. You are more than welcome to post up links if you find any though, I would love to read more tangible facts related to this topic.

I have searched very hard, both on here and SF. There seem to be very few threads regarding failure due to high revs. You are more than welcome to post up links if you find any though, I would love to read more tangible facts related to this topic.

Well you seem convinced that running 9500+ RPM on a long stroke engine like the 2JZ is a good thing, why not try it and let us all know your findings?

Why are we discussing rev limits in a thread called turbos turbos turbos when there is another dedicated thread discussing exactly this?

Because it got brought up in this thread and a link already posted to that other thread which is what started that one back up again.

The crippling moment is the exhaust stroke to intake stroke where the piston stops going up suddenly and starts going down, with nothing going on in the combustion chamber.

During the firing event cycle, though, the expanding gases produce an opposing compression force against the tensile (I think, might have my terms mixed up) force of the piston changing direction, so the more power at that point the better, especially ignition advance as it means the mix starts burning earlier.

The power production from the firing event is a compressive force spread across most of the downstroke, which is why light pressure charging of normal NA engines works ok - the extra force there is nothing compared the the rattling the conrod gets under maximum revs when it changes direction.

So you might bend a conrod with a lot of power but it shouldn't affect the rev limit capabilities.

-Ian