The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbos ,Turbos , Turbos

Tee from China

I dont know the answer but here is a little from me to help you on your way.

If your for using the stock bottom end them T51 might be wasted.

GT2835r is the sweetest sound under your bonnet ever, I love them but the fitting job is just awful.

T04Z I have and its excellent in every way. Easy to fit, and can hit big BHP without massive boost pressures.

either of the above with a ported big valve head, 256/264 mix cams, and a PHR stage 2 fuel kit, aem ecu and 8K rev limit ought to keep most people very very happy.

I dont know the answer but here is a little from me to help you on your way.

If your for using the stock bottom end them T51 might be wasted.

GT2835r is the sweetest sound under your bonnet ever, I love them but the fitting job is just awful.

T04Z I have and its excellent in every way. Easy to fit, and can hit big BHP without massive boost pressures.

either of the above with a ported big valve head, 256/264 mix cams, and a PHR stage 2 fuel kit, aem ecu and 8K rev limit ought to keep most people very very happy.

Why should a t51r be wasted on a stock bottom end.. i have one and it performs very well.

Anyone know a good place to explain/compare all the different turbos that seem to abound so that some sense can be made i.e. is an SP74 the same as a T88? or a T04r and a T51 with singles and GT 2853 versus Trust TD5s' with twins etc. Plus how do you decide which one/ones to use? what are the pros and cons? :blink:

If you want to know which one would be best for you, get rides in as many as possible and then decide.

Why should a t51r be wasted on a stock bottom end.. i have one and it performs very well.

Considering the power potential, and setting 700bhp as a safety net for the stock bottom end, the T51 isnt exactly being abused. Most people I know who run a T51 have bigger BHP than that.

I am sure your car drives fine BTW. :D

Considering the power potential, and setting 700bhp as a safety net for the stock bottom end, the T51 isnt exactly being abused. Most people I know who run a T51 have bigger BHP than that.

I am sure your car drives fine BTW. :D

I've no doubt they have.. TBH 700bhp on english roads is more than enough... After all any more would be sucide and mine is purely a road car not track...

My turbo will last longer than theres :D

I've no doubt they have.. TBH 700bhp on english roads is more than enough... After all any more would be sucide and mine is purely a road car not track...

My turbo will last longer than theres :D

Also running less boost/bhp will keep temps down and keep reliability up.

Turbo itself would be less stressed and 700hp is more than enough for the road.

It's not that simple guys.

I have a T51R KAI on stock head and yes it makes decent power at relatively low boost, but it's not nearly as drivable, fast OR fun as a smaller turbo. You will have a granny car below 4500rpm with the T51, and above you will be sideways for about 1.5sec while you bang it off the ridicules low rev limiter, shift gear and you are back in the granny car for like 4-5sec..

Don't get me wrong, the T51R is a VERY potential turbo for its size it is probably THE best way to go if you are looking for ~850-900bhp.

It can be fun to drive but you will have to built your head (and bottom) to make it happen. This turbo will still pull hard after most turbos has run out of breath..

I'm currently in the process of building my head with aggressive porting, 272/272 IN/EX, Ferrea +1mm IN/EX valves, Ti dual springs + retainers & guides - going for a +9500RPM rev limiter.

It's not that simple guys.

I have a T51R KAI on stock head and yes it makes decent power at relatively low boost, but it's not nearly as drivable, fast OR fun as a smaller turbo. You will have a granny car below 4500rpm with the T51, and above you will be sideways for about 1.5sec while you bang it off the ridicules low rev limiter, shift gear and you are back in the granny car for like 4-5sec..

Don't get me wrong, the T51R is a VERY potential turbo for its size it is probably THE best way to go if you are looking for ~850-900bhp.

It can be fun to drive but you will have to built your head (and bottom) to make it happen. This turbo will still pull hard after most turbos has run out of breath..

I'm currently in the process of building my head with aggressive porting, 272/272 IN/EX, Ferrea +1mm IN/EX valves, Ti dual springs + retainers & guides - going for a +9500RPM rev limiter.

I have the T51R on a built head with 272/272 set-up.. my boost comes on hard arround the 3,800 rpm.. this is simply how it has been mapped....

When boosted hard... its straight there when changing gear....so none of that 4-5 sec granny shifting.... 9,500 rpm limiter.. that ain't going to last long on the stock crank..... Why do u think u need to rev it that high??

I have the T51R on a built head with 272/272 set-up.. my boost comes on hard arround the 3,800 rpm.. this is simply how it has been mapped....

When boosted hard... its straight there when changing gear....so none of that 4-5 sec granny shifting.... 9,500 rpm limiter.. that ain't going to last long on the stock crank..... Why do u think u need to rev it that high??

I've never seen, heard or read anything about a knife edged/balanced stock crank failing due to high rev'ing on a 2jzgte.

Why rev it that high? To get as fast and drivable as possible.

There's a huge difference between a 3K power-band and a 5.5K power-band.

Full boost at 3800rpm sound a little too good to be true IMO, if that shows to be the case then I will be one happy camper thats for sure :)

Full boost at 3800rpm sound a little too good to be true IMO, if that shows to be the case then I will be one happy camper thats for sure :)

I can confirm that his car makes boost at 3800rpm in 4th but I do remember yours being slighty laggier than suprafan72's. This would have been down to the way the cam timing has been setup from when it came over from japan as they were revving it to 8k before i mapped it but i then lowered it to 7k as was not sure on the spec of the engine. (this does not mean go change the cam timing to advance them as the map will change)

Also your rev counter over reads by 400rpm as i remember the dyno operator letting off at like 6500 rpm (ecu) when we were mapping it, i asked him why him why he was doing it until i relized he was seeing near 7k on the counter :D

Thats good to know Ryan, thanks.

How come you lowered the rev limiter to 7K? Is it because I'm still on the stock intake, cams, or maybe rod bolts? The stock valvetrain should be fine at 8K right? I've seen many of the yanks spin it past 8K without problems. Where will the biggest risk be if I take it back up to 8K ?

Thats good to know Ryan, thanks.

How come you lowered the rev limiter to 7K? Is it because I'm still on the stock intake, cams, or maybe rod bolts? The stock valvetrain should be fine at 8K right? I've seen many of the yanks spin it past 8K without problems. Where will the biggest risk be if I take it back up to 8K ?

As its my car i can answer that

Its ferrara valves and titanium double spring retainers, ported head 272/272 set-up

I'm on a stock intake with a stock bottom end..

The thing is i don't want to blow my engine...

A 9500RPM supra engine won't last long, no matter what.

Do you have any proof, documentation or reference to back up that statement? I've seen numerous of proper built engines doing fine after several thousands miles, with a +9000RPM limit. But I have yet to see a specific case where a proper built 2jzgte failed due to high revs,

Do you have any proof, documentation or reference to back up that statement?

Common sense.

I've seen numerous of proper built engines doing fine after several thousands miles, with a +9000RPM limit. But I have yet to see a specific case where a proper built 2jzgte failed due to high revs,

You've not been looking very hard then have you? I know of several engines letting go at much less revs. Are you just trying to get a rise or are you really that naive? How many 2JZ-GTE's have you seen revving to 9000+ RPM over there then?