The mkiv Supra Owners Club

IT courses and qualifications

MrHanky

Just looking for some advice for my brother really. He is looking to gain some qualifications to help him move on in life and is specifically looking at going into IT. Has anybody here got any recommendations with regards to evening courses etc? by getting some qualifications he would hopefully be able to move into our IT team here which basically looks after all of the infrastructure and desktop support type of things.

The only substantial course that I have found so far is a HND / HNC evening course at the local college. Anyone done this here?

Thanks for any help

Mark

I done an HNC in computer science some years back. I personally thought it was a crap corse but that was becuase I was already in the trade. I learnt very little new things and the things I did learn were things like advanced VB programming and fancy back end web creation which is almost useless to me as I have nothing to do with that now.

If he is not already in the trade then its a worthy choice, however some of the guys that were not in the trade had a few problems grasping some of it. Its a 2 yearer iirc, was an utter pita working 9-5 and a couple of evenings and weekend as part of a part time job with the HNC on top.

I wouldnt kick off with the M$ stuff just yet, its expensive and is designed for people already in the trade :)

I done an HNC in computer science some years back. I personally thought it was a crap corse but that was becuase I was already in the trade. I learnt very little new things and the things I did learn were things like advanced VB programming and fancy back end web creation which is almost useless to me as I have nothing to do with that now.

If he is not already in the trade then its a worthy choice, however some of the guys that were not in the trade had a few problems grasping some of it. Its a 2 yearer iirc, was an utter pita working 9-5 and a couple of evenings and weekend as part of a part time job with the HNC on top.

I wouldnt kick off with the M$ stuff just yet, its expensive and is designed for people already in the trade :)

Thanks Daman,

He's not in the trade but does have a good crasp of computing in general, so I think he would be fine. I think he is going to have to just accept a year or two of pain if he really wants to give himself a chance of starting a career.

The Microsoft courses are bloody expensive and I can't see too many people paying for those out of their own pockets.

Does the HNC touch on many different aspects? such as programming, networking, hardware and DBMS etc?

Thanks again

Mark

I did the HND followed by the degree and i'm still not in the trade:rolleyes:

The HND covers touches most aspects but not in much detail, e.g programming just touched by doing a simple program in c++. Nothing goes into great detail and if he wants to go into a specific area, choosing a course to suit may be a better idea.

Does the HNC touch on many different aspects? such as programming, networking, hardware and DBMS etc?

Thanks again

Mark

Covers a nice wide varity like you have described, althou I think hardware was not existant iirc

As James said, some of it is pritty basic stuff thou althou it makes a good all round qualification. The best way to get into the trade is be in the trade. If he can find a low paid junior role and show lots of enthusiasm he will go much further than doing a couple of exams.

I did a BSc in computer science straight from A levels which was 4 year course with the third year being work experience year in the industry and to be honest when i finished most employers were more interested in the year work experience than the qualification gained from the whole course, which was useful as I spent most of the other time Pissed :)

Mike

Thanks James and Daman.

We both work for CAT and there is the possibility of Neil (my brother) getting into the IT department, should anything come up (CAT is quite good for career progression). The thing is though, that he would stand a much better chance if he could say that he has made the effort to learn something in his own time etc.

Unfortunately for him and like so many of us, he cannot go for anything too junior due to the fact that he is a mature learner (even though he looks 10 :) ) and so has all of those wonderful adult responsibilities such as mortgages etc :)

Thanks again

Mark

Covers a nice wide varity like you have described, althou I think hardware was not existant iirc

I know on my HND we had to strip a computer down and build it back up again. Dont even think it went into troubleshooting of when i didn't work etc though.

I personally wouldn't bother with HND, BTEC and the like. What would it be he'd be supporting? I'd opt more for the Microsoft exams, or Citrix, Cisco, etc. qualifications depending on what it is you actually use.

Our IT team supports the infrastructure for our SAP platforms (UNIX), all of the usual Microsoft desktop stuff and Citrix. Although Johnnyknox is one of the Citrix guys here at CAT, and I would need to get rid of him first to give Nelly a chance of doing Citrix :)

I'd say it's a great idea to get on an HNC course - 2 years of 2 evenings a week. It may not be all that applicable to what eh ends up working at, but it will give him credibility with a prospective employer if nothing else.

I did the HNC this way in 2000 - 2002 and got a decent job whilst I was still doing the 1st year of my course. It served me well as it showed I was serious about the work by being willing to invest my own time, money and effort to get qualifiactions. (Although I've just been made redundant this week. :( )

Anyone need a Systems Analyst for a datawarehousing project?

I've been looking towards the Microsoft (MCSE) course recently. Expensive though. £4800 from Advent. Probably could get it cheaper.

Plus, after completing the first few modules, you then become an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) which is a good qualification in itself.

Worth a look.

Although Johnnyknox is one of the Citrix guys here at CAT, and I would need to get rid of him first to give Nelly a chance of doing Citrix :)

Is he very accident prone? Some of those servers can be very heavy, if one were to be rather precariously balanced on top of one of the racks...

I'd probably go down the Microsoft Qualification route then, learn active directory etc. that sort of stuff.

I started off my It career at college and aced the City and guilds level 2 in ict maintanence. Then went on to do level 3 and a qualification in electronic servicing (Soldering & PCB board skills basically).

Then got an job in a local ict company, 5 years down the line i started my Mcse and then................................................

Joined the Police... lol...

I've been looking towards the Microsoft (MCSE) course recently. Expensive though. £4800 from Advent. Probably could get it cheaper.

Plus, after completing the first few modules, you then become an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) which is a good qualification in itself.

Worth a look.

I presume the £4800 is for a course? I personally don't feel they're worth it, you just end up working from a book anyway. Exams are ~£120 each now I think? So still works out expensive to do the full MCSE (7-8 exams?) but you're a MCP after just one exam.

Is he very accident prone? Some of those servers can be very heavy, if one were to be rather precariously balanced on top of one of the racks...

I'd probably go down the Microsoft Qualification route then, learn active directory etc. that sort of stuff.

lol, I just need to gain access to the server room so I can set this up :)

I think Neil is going to have to sit down with the IT manager and ask him what would give him the best chance.

Thanks for all the help

Mark