The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine management needed for BPU?

Scoboblio

I'm thinking of joining the BPU club whilst my supra is out of use because of the bad weather..... when I was modifying my old mondeo (different league I know :) ) I did all the normal stuff like exhaust, induction etc, but it ran pretty poorly until I had it unichiped and remapped, because the stock management didn't know how to handle it.

My question is, if I were to decatt, FCD, spark plugs etc, all the normal BPU stuff up to 1.2bar, will some sort of remap be needed to make it drive smoothly or will the stock mangement cope fine?

Cheers guys / girls :)

depends on your future plans...i suggest either apexi AFC or e-manage, im sure someone else on her will go on about this in more detials for u.

Thanks mate :thumbs: , my future plans don't go far beyond BPU (yet) so I'm more concerned about how the car will react when modified, as I mentioned earlier my previous car ran way too rich at idle, lean at the top end etc, after I'd put a cat back exhaust and induction kit on it. :eek:

im on BPU++ and at the stage your at right now apart from all the other BPU stuff u have listed one thing that is very very important when boosting over stock levels is a.....uprated fuel pump such as walbro, this will stop you running lean more than anyother BPU mod.

Yup, cheers, got a restrictor ring on the list too :nana:

There's a load of previous threads on this anyway so I'll make sure I don't miss out any parts.

One more question though, will the stock BOV be able to handle 1.2bar ok? It's getting on for 11 years old but I've not had any problems with it. :conf: Don't really want to go about replacing it unless I absolutely have to,

I would not go to the bother of fitting a full decat, exhaust, restrictor ring, plugs, fuel pump, fcd, filter element, and boost gauge to then not take it to a rolling road/hub dyno.

In my opinion there's no way you should assume the fuelling will be fine when running at 1.2bar. For peace of mind you an fit the Walbro but that should be no substitute for a full check on the fuelling. You may find yourself running a little lean in the higher revs if you're boosting 1.2 bar to the redline. The stock 440 injectors are capable of fuelling this but you may need a piggyback to do so. (Emanage, SAFC II). The 440's should see you up to about 380hp at the hubs on the Thor dyno but not a great deal more.

Hope that's of some use...

Dan