The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How many press ups can you do?

Carl_S

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i started doing a bit of training a couple of times a week a while back partly due to having high cholesterol, and i usually average about forty, not in one set i might add, which i don't think is to bad for an old git:senile:, mind you i don't think its an indicator of fitness, as i still get puffed walking fast up hill;)

In 1988, I did a sponsored press-ups for Tear Fund. I did 10,000 in nine hours four mins. First 2,000 were in sets of fifty -as far as I remember - then sets of thirty for the rest.

Mind you, I only weighed about eleven stone at the time.

I doubt I could do 50 now :(

Holy cow cliff! That's going some.

So this fulcrum weight thing explains why I find pressups so damn hard? I can do 17 at best but I'm 2m tall :blink: I guess it stacks up with the fulcrum thing cos my arms are longer too so I move my (heavier) body a longer distance and it takes more leverage? Bah.

I did a pressup on a set of scales once and it went to about 70kg, is that a reliable measure of how much you are shifting around? Actually surely this could be used with "length of arms" to roughly work out "work done"...?

-Ian

Yes, yes and yes

This is the reason you have trouble, the same as myself. The length of your body, your weight and the length of your arms all comes into it. Its all to do with "force x distance".

Doing pressup's on scales gives a great indication of the weight you are lifting although you shouldn't actually do pressups on them. Just get into the pushup position on scales and take the reading.

If you weigh 70kg in that position then the amount of push-ups you do should be almost exactly the same as the amount of reps you could do on a fixed chest press machine @ 70kg

Scott =op

The hardest ones I've attempted are push-ups with a clap: you have to push hard enough to launch your upper body from the ground for enough time to clap your hands. Nasty.

I can do 10 of those, again that's as many as I've ever tried to do, don't think I'd be able to do much more than 10 though!!

I can do about 20, helps a lot if you have strength in your arms and shoulders, when I started excersising I could barely do 1, now I can do around 20, have a 5 min break and hit 20 again no problems.. I still need more arm strength tho, which is what Im working on currently down the gym.

60 in a minute is nutz.

do yourself a little youtube vid then bud ;) nose to the floor as well none of this sissy half down efforts :p

proofs in the pudding

Why do you find the claims so hard to believe? I'm pretty sure Guinness don't do a one minute press-ups record any longer, simply because some people can do them so quickly that it's very difficult to verify. If the elite are getting up to three a second, 50+ in a minute should be well within the grasp of anyone who is reasonably athletic.

As for 'nose to the floor', where does that come from? Again, Guinness stipulate 90 degree angle at the elbows and don't mention this. The standard at the time I did mine was 'a fist's distance to the chin or chest to the floor'. I think this is still used by plenty of agencies that use press-ups as part of basic training e.g. US police forces.

For counting purposes 90 degrees is correct but to get the full work out from a pressup its better to go all the way down to just before your weight is on the floor. Stretches your pecks more and gives a better workout.

Same goes with benchpress. To actually count 90 degrees is all thats needed but if you go that little bit further your muscle will get a better workout.

Think about how much weight you can press with your elbow's at 90 degrees and how much less you can press going down to your chest. Its quite a difference with me so i try to do all my workouts as far as i can stretch. Well, i did when i worked out lol.

Scott =op