The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How many press ups can you do?

Carl_S

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True story.

Came home from work once, had a cuppa, then went upstairs to log on here on the PC in my lads bedroom. As I walked through the doorway, bang, I saw stars... it felt like someone had blatted me across the nose with an iron bar. I instinctively jumped backwards and fell flat on my arse, totally shocked and in considerable pain. I got to my feet and turned the landing light on...wtf, my son had installed a pull-up bar across his bedroom door frame just low enough for my wife to reach.

True story.

Came home from work once, had a cuppa, then went upstairs to log on here on the PC in my lads bedroom. As I walked through the doorway, bang, I saw stars... it felt like someone had blatted me across the nose with an iron bar. I instinctively jumped backwards and fell flat on my arse, totally shocked and in considerable pain. I got to my feet and turned the landing light on...wtf, my son had installed a pull-up bar across his bedroom door frame just low enough for my wife to reach.

:rlol:

I'm 6'4 and weigh 17 stone so my fulcrum weight is much higher than the average person.

That said i can still do around 50 pressups but not at any fast rate.

Situps on the other hand, i did over 3000 in one sitting once for a competition in the gym. I was allowed as many goes as i liked in a week but i was going on holiday so i needed to make my go count. Nearest behind me was just under 1000 ;)

most of them were conventional crunches but some were bench situps with the legs out which are bloody hard. Think i managed around 300 of those bad boys during that "session".

Got a steak dinner for 2 at the hilton though :D

Scott =op

you own a MiG29?

seriously though thats good going, even though I don't understand what fulcrum weight is.

:)

Hmm this could get boring... amuse yourselves if you don't want to hear it.....

The fulcrum or pivotal point of the body during pressups is your feet. The force needed to do a pressup depends on the distance from your feet to your fingers and your weight. Basically force x distance.

The taller you are the harder it is to do a pushup even if you weigh the same as a shorter person. The distance from the pivot to the fingers is greater therefor even when the force (force required to lift your weight) is the same with 2 people, the distance that is multiplying it is greater the taller you are. Taller people have a bigger advantage with pulling, shorter people have a bigger advantage with pushing.

Dunno if that will help or confuse you more.

I know what i mean though lol

Scott =op

Pah, childsplay. I'm so tough I'm not doing pushups I'm bench pressing the world.

I'm a fat bstid now, over 16 stone and 6'4" so struggle to 25. I used to be able to press pretty heavy, (max 95/100kilos) but lack stamina. I'm just starting training again and pressing 55k kilos is tough atm. I get tired running the bath now.

Hmm this could get boring... amuse yourselves if you don't want to hear it.....

The fulcrum or pivotal point of the body during pressups is your feet. The force needed to do a pressup depends on the distance from your feet to your fingers and your weight. Basically force x distance.

The taller you are the harder it is to do a pushup even if you weigh the same as a shorter person. The distance from the pivot to the fingers is greater therefor even when the force (force required to lift your weight) is the same with 2 people, the distance that is multiplying it is greater the taller you are. Taller people have a bigger advantage with pulling, shorter people have a bigger advantage with pushing.

Dunno if that will help or confuse you more.

I know what i mean though lol

Scott =op

I know what you mean- well explained... you into's maths then?

Pah, childsplay. I'm so tough I'm not doing pushups I'm bench pressing the world.

I'm a fat bstid now, over 16 stone and 6'4" so struggle to 25. I used to be able to press pretty heavy, (max 95/100kilos) but lack stamina. I'm just starting training again and pressing 55k kilos is tough atm. I get tired running the bath now.

I bench 50kg on the smith machine at the moment.

In 1988, I did a sponsored press-ups for Tear Fund. I did 10,000 in nine hours four mins. First 2,000 were in sets of fifty -as far as I remember - then sets of thirty for the rest.

Mind you, I only weighed about eleven stone at the time.

I doubt I could do 50 now :(

Oh my god mate. 10,000 in nine hours? what was going through your mind after 5000?

In 1988, I did a sponsored press-ups for Tear Fund. I did 10,000 in nine hours four mins. First 2,000 were in sets of fifty -as far as I remember - then sets of thirty for the rest.

Mind you, I only weighed about eleven stone at the time.

I doubt I could do 50 now :(

I reckon I could manage the 50...in 9 hours four mins :)

Depends whats below me:D To be honest Ive not done any for ages (you can tell from looking), but when I used to play footy a few years ago I used to do 75 in the morning and 100 when i got back from work. Now I think 10 would kill me:blink:

So this fulcrum weight thing explains why I find pressups so damn hard? I can do 17 at best but I'm 2m tall :blink: I guess it stacks up with the fulcrum thing cos my arms are longer too so I move my (heavier) body a longer distance and it takes more leverage? Bah.

I did a pressup on a set of scales once and it went to about 70kg, is that a reliable measure of how much you are shifting around? Actually surely this could be used with "length of arms" to roughly work out "work done"...?

-Ian