The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How many press ups can you do?

Carl_S

For counting purposes 90 degrees is correct but to get the full work out from a pressup its better to go all the way down to just before your weight is on the floor. Stretches your pecks more and gives a better workout.

Same goes with benchpress. To actually count 90 degrees is all thats needed but if you go that little bit further your muscle will get a better workout.

Think about how much weight you can press with your elbow's at 90 degrees and how much less you can press going down to your chest. Its quite a difference with me so i try to do all my workouts as far as i can stretch. Well, i did when i worked out lol.

Scott =op

Nope,the same doesn't go with bench press, at least not if we're talking about 'standards accepted by competitions/official bodies'. As far as I know, most powerlifting federations require you not only to touch the chest with the bar, but actually start from a paused position on the chest.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True story.

Came home from work once, had a cuppa, then went upstairs to log on here on the PC in my lads bedroom. As I walked through the doorway, bang, I saw stars... it felt like someone had blatted me across the nose with an iron bar. I instinctively jumped backwards and fell flat on my arse, totally shocked and in considerable pain. I got to my feet and turned the landing light on...wtf, my son had installed a pull-up bar across his bedroom door frame just low enough for my wife to reach.

:rlol: dangerous stuff.

Same goes with benchpress. To actually count 90 degrees is all thats needed but if you go that little bit further your muscle will get a better workout.

Most of the competitors touch their chest with their elbow's at 90 degrees though.

So if:

(a) you get a better stretch by bending elbows past 90 degrees

and

(b) for most people, the bar is actually touching the chest at 90 degrees

...then how does anyone get beyond 90 degrees without actually sinking the bar through their lungs? If you say 'by pressing to the neck', I'm ringing the post-hoc police :D

Picky is my middle name.

Erm no, i meant professionals not "most people". Hence the reason i said "competitors", their chest's are HUGE and stick out miles further than your average joe so when their elbows are at 90 degrees the bar is already touching their chest.

Scott =op

Erm no, i meant professionals not "most people". Hence the reason i said "competitors", their chest's are HUGE and stick out miles further than your average joe so when their elbows are at 90 degrees the bar is already touching their chest.

Scott =op

Well, without actually measuring some people, I can't dispute that, but my guess is that you're wrong. Maybe if you're 250lbs plus, chest thickness might make a significant difference, but that's the minority of competitive powerlifters (given that the weight categories go down to 'teeny-weeny').

Thats not picky mate, thats clutching at straws ;)

I know what i meant, you didn't read what i wrote properly and made a statement based on what you thought i meant.

Whats the big deal with saying i'm wrong everytime you reply? Who really cares?

Scott =op

When i did karate we used to do 25 then hold yourself halfway for 10 seconds then another 25 and that was on your nuckles on a wooden floor, god i used to be hard.

I thought we were talking about knuckle pressups! ;)

There are loads of ways to do pressups that can make it easier/harder, I think with your hands below where your shoulders are is about right (or maybe an inch further out).

Try doing some with your index finger and thumb touching to form a triangle, I can do 1/2 then I fall to the floor! My brother can do about 50 like that!! :blink:

I thought we were talking about knuckle pressups! ;)

There are loads of ways to do pressups that can make it easier/harder, I think with your hands below where your shoulders are is about right (or maybe an inch further out).

Try doing some with your index finger and thumb touching to form a triangle, I can do 1/2 then I fall to the floor! My brother can do about 50 like that!! :blink:

Try a one armed one ;)

Whats the big deal with saying i'm wrong everytime you reply? Who really cares?

Scott =op

Well, you made a couple of statements based on your perspective, which, as you've said, is based on looking at the diagrams on the bench press machine. I think they're misleading and I happen to disagree. To me, that's not a big deal - it's part of a regular discussion where there are two contrary viewpoints.

I care just about enough to post on the topic.

I can understand that to be challenged over two or three posts must be exhausting, but try not to get so snippy about it.

When i did karate we used to do 25 then hold yourself halfway for 10 seconds then another 25 and that was on your nuckles on a wooden floor, god i used to be hard.

Did you damage your knuckles? I used to do them, but think they are just to painful if you're obese.. - like I was.

;)

56 in a minute flat at the moment. But with the new RAF fitness levels in and the new pressup routine where you only have to drop the chest about half way, I reckon I should be good for about 60-65 with a little more training.

There's only one way to get better at press-ups and that's to actually do them! Assuming bench presses and chin ups will help just doesn't. What's worse is trying to bang out the highest possible situps you can in a minute too straight after! :)

The RAF PTI's and PEdOs told us yesterday during the fitness briefing that going down to floow (i.e. fist flat on floor level) is actually bad for your joints and causing too much strain, hence they brought in the extended 90d elbow rule, for that and because of women and touching their breasts or something!

The RAF PTI's and PEdOs told us yesterday during the fitness briefing that going down to floow (i.e. fist flat on floor level) is actually bad for your joints and causing too much strain, hence they brought in the extended 90d elbow rule, for that and because of women and touching their breasts or something!

omg lol.

BTW, any jobs going at the RAF? looking for one..

Carl

It's not a case of just 'getting a job' Carl! Certainly not for an Officer role anyway. It's taken me 8 months and I haven't been selected yet, so many interviews, assessments and hoops to jump through. If you wish to enlist in service as per say the army as a bottom ranker working their way up, then you can do so fairly quickly. But your fitness still needs to be tip top and you have to pass selection interviews and meds too.

Check out the RAF Careers website and see what roles interest you. I'm going for RAF Regiment Officer.