The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator/s

bolarbag

The problem is that there is no standard for the base pressure that injectors are flow tested at. So unless you're lucky enough to have yours flow tested at the same range as the stock set-up then you're taking a flyer on whether or not the injectors you've got are going to be man enough at the top end. OK not the end of the world, as you would potentially just need to buy a different set of injectors, and get the car re-mapped if it were a problem. But if it's possible to get a decent adjustable FPR, then you can set the base pressure to the same the injectors were set to when they were cleaned and tested, and potentially save a load of cash and hassle.

Besides, the stock ones aren't actually that great. The tolerance for them is 7 psi. Probably fine when you're only running 7-10 psi of boost with an ECU that will richen the mixture up as required when off boost, but with a rudimentary aftermarket ECU and double the boost, I'm not so sure it's accurate enough.

When I tested the Aeromotive after I took the P.O.S. FSE off my car, it was repeatable to well within 1 psi. The only concern I do have over them is how they react with higher temps, which I'm still investigating in relationship to a (more likely) injector control problem.

7psi tolerance on a stock fpr!!!!!!!!

That sounds terrible - on 3bar differential fuel pressure that equates to +/-8% on your fuelling.........kaboom!

Was this on a new regulator Tony or a "suspect" one? Was this variance temp related or just random fluctuations over a period of time?

Also when I have had injector tested in the past I have always set the test pressure

The 7 psi is the tolerance that Toyota deem acceptable.

The temperature thing is more with the Aeromotives, and as of yet is still just a theory. I wouldn't like to say it's definitely a problem without some imperical evidence to back it up....

Thats why I have always mounted my Aeromotive away from the engine (attatched to the bulkhead) to escape the huge heatsoak and vibration.

OK that's a different story Tony.

If a batch of let's say 1000 regulators carry 7psi tolerance between them then no problem (for the aftermarket mapper). If the tolerance during service on one individual regulator is 7psi then that is bad news.

What I mean is that when Toyota test the base pressure, they have a tolerance band of 7 psi. So the regulator only has to be repeatable to within 7 psi, and it's ticked off as being fine.

I see what you mean about batch tolerance, but the problem is there isn't any differential between the 2 for Toyota to see them as being fine.