The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT4088R the missing AR... .81 is the one!

Mike B

Thanks to those who helped me with the battery problem earlier in the week; spent most of yesterday fabricating a new tray and fitting a 60ah. Starts at 2k now :D

Honstly, I had never really liked this GT4088R.

It came with a .96 divided housing with was fairly powerful and cool (egt) but had really crappy throttle response.

So I bought a .68 and .81 non divided housing.

I've been running the .68 for a few months now and it's good good low down pull but didn't give that much more HP over the 35r.

So today I spent 4 hours changing the turbine housing for the .81; and what a difference.

Throttle response is almost better than the .68.. it always felt like it was hesitant, pulls initially but then fails to build quiclky... the bite seems the same on the '81 but the spool seems much faster.... a real pleasure to drive. Perhaps not as much 6th gear 3k pull but not really noticable... egt's are 150 deg down.

and the top end, by christ...., what a difference. The roads were not summer roads, but I am having big traction issues in 4th!!

I'll get it back on the dyno just to see but I'd say I was significantly up, perhaps not 100hp, but it feels like it! it feels like a proper monster now....

I wonder if the '68 was just too small for that turbine, big compressor trying to squeeze air through a straw on the turbine side?

The engine is now exactly how I want it, everything just seems to mesh properly, and for a long time it had been a little slow on the 35 and all wrong on the 4088. i'm well chuffed. :D

Now I just have to get the handling sorted. How you guys drive round on 295's and 305's i'll never know.. these 295's are killing me. :rolleyes:

Maybe I should stop buying bling & get a .81 housing for Xmas then eh Mike? :D

I was thinking about putting "don't read this Jay" in the title.

I'd recommend it :)

your car would go balistic I recon.

The housings are cheap; mail KylesTT; under hundered quid, but a PITA to fit.

what a difference.

I always remember that thread of Jamie P's speedo going round the dial... so much quiker than mine... now I know why; he used the same housing.

Excellent news Mike, chuffed for you :)

This is good info for others considering the turbo, obviously you've found the right balance now for the 2JZ

Does your T67 usea similar size turbine? if so had you not throught of trying a slightly bigger housing?

I'm now convinced there is an optimum balance, after this little caper.

I'm glad I tried all three, even if it has cost me a small fortune in the swearbox fitting the damn things.

Kyle has replied, sorting price out now, could be on it's way by the morn :D

he's really fast...

I wonder how the 4088R with the 0.81 would fare on a cast manifold......hmmmm :)

really well I recon; with some cams... wez's dyno chart always leaves me with raised eyebrows.

get Jay to but one with his housing and get it shipped together. You'll have to remap the car anyway.

Does your T67 usea similar size turbine? if so had you not throught of trying a slightly bigger housing?

I'm now convinced there is an optimum balance, after this little caper.

The BL I had used a 0.68 housing, but don't think a larger housing is the way to go on that particular turbo. The spool is superb and matches the T61's torque output and rpm during the spool phase, but continues to build once it's up to 1.4 bar. There is no real drop off even on the stock cams.

I doubt it'll happen but would be nice to get yours dyno'd at SRR at some point so it could be overlayed with all the others done there (see Ryan's turbo thread)