The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bike license?

Supragal

Anyone clued up on this stuff...

Just tried to get a quote from the AA and they are saying it's impossible to have had a full license for 10 years because it would have been restricted to a 125 for 2 years.

Not in 1996 it wouldn't, that legislation didn't come out until a year or so after but I can't remember when, the DVLA website just states the current law...

Anyone got any ideas?

A bit more info needed, when did you pass your test? The way the AA are explaining it sounds as though they are getting it wrong. You can ride upto a 125cc on a Provisinal for 2 years then you have to have a year off then you can ride again for another 2 years etc without passing your test.

But once you have your full licence you can ride anything you like if you did a direct access or if not you can ride anything as long as its restricted to 33BHP

A 125 for 2 years does not come into it if you have passed your test.

Oh, and I think they are right in a way - now when you pass you are limited to 33bhp unless you do a big bike test I *think*

If you passed in 1996 I think you can ride anything you like, hence the reason they brought the 33BHP restriction in to stop 17 year olds jumping straight onto a gsxr or fireblade and killing themselves, although they could still do that if they got a restrictor kit fitted to make it only 33BHP.

Its not limited to CC just BHP.

Limited for 2 years, Rosie. If you want to go bigger you must pass your test within those 2 years or take a year off.

It's going to get a lot harder next year. If you are serious about getting a bike I recommend getting through you test before then.

If you passed your test in '96 you have no restrictions. BigDino has it right.:)

I did my full bike test in Dec 1996. Becuase I was just a incy bit *cough* over 21 I could do a direct access course. If you were under 21 you were limited to IIRC 46bhp for 2 years and then do a further test.

If you were under 21 in 1996, then you won't have a full licence now and you'll have to do a direct access test.

Edit to add Take That were excellent and not in the least bit :limp: (except for Jason) :D

If you were under 21 in 1996, then you won't have a full licence now and you'll have to do a direct access test.

You're the least likely person I'd ever question, but... are you sure? The license says A on it, and Jon's been riding big bikes since he passed (in 1996 at 17 years old), he's never done another test and there wasn't a restriction on it ever?

I am in a right muddle now. :confused:

If you have a full unrestricted bike licence it will say catagory A. If you passed your test with a power restriction limit it will be listed as A1, A2

Nice one, that makes it easy. Yeah it's A.

Why the 'eck didn't I think of that? 'kin numpty me.

Nice one Rosie Class A = no test to do. :)

:yahoo:

Finally I made a useful contribution!

WINNAH!

I did my full bike test in Dec 1996. Becuase I was just a incy bit *cough* over 21 I could do a direct access course. If you were under 21 you were limited to IIRC 46bhp for 2 years and then do a further test.

Edit to add Take That were excellent and not in the least bit :limp: (except for Jason) :D

I may be wrong here, but wasn't it you were restricted to 33BHP for 2 years then could ride anything you like? The laws may have changed now but back then (1996) I'm pretty sure that was the case and you had no further test to take.

I have a full bike licence so i've never come accross this situation, just from people that have been doing there tests over the last few years.

Who have also being told get it done sooner rather than later as its going to get alot more difficult and expensive.

I agree with Take That back then too.