The mkiv Supra Owners Club

200mph on A1

JamesC

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think someone went to all that time and effort, dubbing the gear shifts, speeding down the A1 for nothing? When he starts filiming and you see the cars flying by hes doing well over 100 to start. It just doesnt appear as quick cos the motorway is 4 lanes wide there. Im sure if it was dual carridgway it would look a lot quicker.

OK well watch the video again then. When he passes that lorry which will be doing a max of 60mph the guy pans from the road to the speedo, by the time he gets to the speedo its reading 150 and the engine note doesn't begin to rise until just after the last glimpse of truck shadow goes, it took him about 3.5 seconds to get from the last view of the trucks shadow to that reading so if we estimate conservatively that he was doing 140-145 when you last saw the shadow of the truck that would be pretty close to what speed was indicated as you saw him pass that truck.

Now you tell me if that looks like that truck goes backwards at 90 mph?? It doesn't even look like its going backwards at 70 mph. Now look at the lamposts as he goes past them. At 120 mph (which equates to 53 1/3 metres per second) to pass 1 a second they would have to be spaced out around 53 metres each. He passes approx 6 in 4 seconds. Now I'm no real judge but those posts are far from being 50 metres apart, 30 maybe, which would drop his speed to around 45 metres per second which equates to 101.25 mph very roughly speaking of course cos its measured by eye.

I've noticed in the past that when you look through a video camera or binoculars while travelling down the road at 50odd mph, you barely seem to be moving. Why doesn't someone record a video at say 100mph on the motorway and we can review it and see if it 'looks' like 100mph.

Based on that we'd have a good idea of whether he's doing 200mph.

In my 'police video' shot from a T5 that was doing 147 mph it lookd like we are barely going faster than the lorries and vans on the inside lane !!! we tried to use that as defence in court (didnt work) :read: if you took the speed off the bottom it looked like 4 bikes driving quite normally , he is in top going around 7000rpm so that should be way over 160 !!!.

BTW with the manual Diff in mine UNDER READS by around 10mph and thats at 187 :cool:

Dude :thumbs:

• 3 years later...
Guest aka4ajax

I have seen the video and read all the doubting threads on this video.

If you find the stretch of the A1 it was filmed on the Junction from Alconbury Weston to Sawtry B1043 (seen on video and confirmed this by little chef on righthandside). This stretch of road is 3 miles long from slip road to slip road. They complete that section in just over 1 minute.

So times by 60 for an mph and you get 180mph average speed, so I would say yes they are stark raving mad and did achieve 200mph at some point.

I have seen the video and read all the doubting threads on this video.

If you find the stretch of the A1 it was filmed on the Junction from Alconbury Weston to Sawtry B1043 (seen on video and confirmed this by little chef on righthandside). This stretch of road is 3 miles long from slip road to slip road. They complete that section in just over 1 minute.

So times by 60 for an mph and you get 180mph average speed, so I would say yes they are stark raving mad and did achieve 200mph at some point.

The video is nearly 2 minutes long though :blink: That brings the average down quite a bit!

Very true. Supra's are pretty much uncontrollable over about 130mph. I guess that is why they were limited to 112mph. V. dodgy aero IMO.

Syed, I'm afraid I have to use this smiley... :conf:

Even at an indicated 185MPH on a private runway the car felt very stable, I've done 140-150 on numerous occasions and certainly wouldn't call it uncontrollable. This is the first time I've seen a Supra's aero being called dodgy whilest being compared to a skyline too ;)