The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the longest day you've worked?

Pete

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my longest shift in a while was 13 hours doing paper cutting. handle up to 10 tons of paper a day.most i worked was an 84 hour week doing my 36 hours and 36 hours holiday cover and sunday 12 hours overtime then straight back onto 36 hours of my next weeks shift.

aint it illegal now to work more than 12 hours shift now without time away from work?

LMFAO at kierans avatar!!!

Good isn't it? :) Craig-mkiv sent me that.

Yes its illegal to work more than 12 hours without having 12 hours rest iirc. Also, you're only allowed to work 13 days in a row, then you have to take one off

Yeah, when we go over 12 hours or 13 days in a row, it all has to get authourised by someone right at the top with it being safety-critical work (railway), but sometimes there's no way around it because the job's got to be done.

As far as long hours = progress through the rank then I don't think I'd want to work for any company like that.

Doing those kinds of hours (unless you really want the money) smacks to me of a company with not enough staff or one that cannot schedule work in a proper manner.

As far as long hours = progress through the rank then I don't think I'd want to work for any company like that.

Doing those kinds of hours (unless you really want the money) smacks to me of a company with not enough staff or one that cannot schedule work in a proper manner.

I think sometimes it's a bit more complicated than that. In my example, I was in Tokyo because a potential customer had basically said : pass all of these tests with your product by date and we will order of them.

Most companies are not going to say : "OK, but it doesn't really fit in with our schedule", or "well, we'll have to employ some more staff - give us a few months".

I did actually have the choice to stay out there less time and for other people to replace me, but - although it was tiring - I enjoyed it. I've often done long hours in my career but it's more to do with who I am than the companies I've worked for.

I did some really long hours in the RAF and the in the Police. But I think my worst (although maybe not my longest stretch of straight hours) was when I did 27 hours straight as a motorcycle courier.

I covered over 1,250 miles, including 2 trips to London from where I live in Norwich, a ride to somewhere just outside Chester to deliver flight tickets and then ended up posting some share options stuff through someones door at 3am in Glasgow before riding home again. The trouble with that job was that if you did fall asleep, you'd almost certainly die. Simple option!

I remember sitting in a Little Chef near Kings Lynn at 8am having a bacon bap and looking out at the rain with that feeling of being warm but still shivering with the tiredness. Then having to put on a damp crash helmet to ride the last hour or so home through rush hour traffic in the wet. Never again.

mine was a few weeks ago. the last week before project completion and hand over of a new morrisons store in llanelli i worked 15 hour shifts all week then went into work at 6.30am thursday and worked straight through until 10.30am friday morning.

went out on the works piss up then at 2.00pm on the friday. that lasted until 3am saturday morning.

to say i slept after that week is a huge understatment!!

18 hours for me. It was mid harvest time when i worked on a farm, we'd had weeks of rain followed by a few good days to get all the grain harvested so were going hell for leather. Red bull and pro-plus was the order of the evening :blink:

think i started at 8 in the morning, and we called it a day about 2 the following morning when we started falling asleep between runs and it got damp. Never want to do it again!

Worst for me was when i was an organ donor co-ordinator(transplant co-ordinator) was up for 43 hours solid but having to deal with grieving relatives as well as get retrival teams sorted out and stand in theatre and pack organs etc, and make sure donors did not have hiv, hep b etc etc, no mistakes allowed, was physically sick when i got back home:(

Longest I've done is a 27 hour shift, did a normal day then went to one of our buildings we looked after and did a complete rewire of patch cabinet and a reconfig of approx 50 pcs, finished .. well got sent home at midday. Didn't have to come in for the next 2 days :)

Was a complete 1 off and I'd never make a habit of it for sure, it's a killer!

Sort of 40-48 hours... I had to fly to Athens, to go to Skai News channel (got there about 6pm). Had to listen to customer's tv graphics/computer/server issues and observe problems until 2am-ish, talk to customer and say I'd be back in at 5am for their morning news. Slept for 2 hours, woke up, was at studio for 5am until 3pm-ish, then go back to airport to fly back to London. =\