The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Question

sarjo

Last night, I parked 80% on kerb, 20% on road outside my house (not in my supra) and was getting shopping out of the car. When my hands were full I used my bum and shut the door to first click (so it wasnt fully shut). As I was just going into the house I heard a great bump and found a woman half way up the road in a volvo with her wing mirror hanging off. When I looked at my car, the door had sprung open, the moulding hanging off and part of the metal edge on the door folded back.

I'm looking at the damage and cant believe that this happened with the door shut, and am now questionning whether I shut the door properly or not! The thing is, if I shut the door, she is liable - if the door had swung open then I'm guessing I am liable.

The other driver has not admitted liability, and is suggesting to me that the door was open in the road. The thing is, my door when open has two bright lights, one red, one white which would show the door is open so she should have seen it. I had the dog in the car so I am sure I would have shut it, but I'm guessing now its her word against mine in the hands of the insurance companies.

Any advice?

I would tend to agree - even if the door swung open right infront of her, she might be found liable.

If it were my insurance claim, I would probably just state that you "parked, engaged the handbrake and turned off the car. Then you got out of the car with the shopping, intending to return to collect the rest afterwards. You heard a collision outside and returned to find that the other car had hit your open door."

That's all I'd say. No need to mention trying to close the door or anything.

I would tend to agree - even if the door swung open right infront of her, she might be found liable.

If it were my insurance claim, I would probably just state that you "parked, engaged the handbrake and turned off the car. Then you got out of the car with the shopping, intending to return to collect the rest afterwards. You heard a collision outside and returned to find that the other car had hit your open door."

That's all I'd say. No need to mention trying to close the door or anything.

Exactly that!

a woman got done recently for hitting a door as someone swung it open as she hadn't left enough space for the door to open, and was going to fast to stop if it did swing open, was somewhere down south that happened.

This seems slightly ridiculous to me. On any road I can think of, if I left enough room for the door of any parked cars to open - I'd be driving on the opposite side of the road and having head on collisions!

This seems slightly ridiculous to me. On any road I can think of, if I left enough room for the door of any parked cars to open - I'd be driving on the opposite side of the road and having head on collisions!

Think she was done for not going slow enough to stop when a door opened though. Your meant to be able to stop for any hazards

Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Regulation 105,

No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person.

Road Traffic Act 1988

Section 42

A person who ... contravenes or fails to comply with any construction or use requirement ... is guilty of an offence.

I think you were in the wrong - sorry.