The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Probably one of the best threads i've ever read!

Sandy-m2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually question whether we should have a "Spirited Driving Chronicles" section at all, and it's the one thing for me personally that I am at odds with.

That's something I noticed about some of the Corvette forums. Spirited driving tales were actively frowned upon.

How about the club just does away with it and see what sort of complaints there are?

Scary account of prison, I think I'd be a bit like him rather than the guys who think it's an easy ride. I've always said I'll never go to prison.

But that's the scariest part of the story - how would you avoid it. He wasn't willingly taking part in any criminal activities - he simply went out one day and drove a bit too fast in his car. I doubt there is a person on this forum who hasn't broken the speed limit, and at least once gone around a bend a little too fast.

The witness testaments scared me a little too. In the Porsche, I've frequently been flashed after overtaking people despite doing nothing wrong. I'm not even talking about a similar situation to 10p's - but even on a straight road, with no traffic at all on the other side of the road, and overtaking a single car - I got flashed when I pulled back in. If I'd crashed at the next bend, what would his witness account have been I wonder?

But that's the scariest part of the story - how would you avoid it.

I'd go mental at the sentencing, hit out at anything that moved, I'm sure I'd eventually get sectioned after recovering from any injuries caused and then creating more. Whether a secure mental wing is better or worse than prison I don't know but I can guarantee I'd end up in the former.

I'd go mental at the sentencing, hit out at anything that moved, I'm sure I'd eventually get sectioned after recovering from any injuries caused and then creating more. Whether a secure mental wing is better or worse than prison I don't know but I can guarantee I'd end up in the former.

I suspect it would mean you could comment in the drugs thread when you got out. ;)

I got flashed when I pulled back in. If I'd crashed at the next bend, what would his witness account have been I wonder?

That is such a scary truth, not that I'm knocking what Class one and his colleagues do, because they do a great job normally. I remember when I had an accident a few years back, wasn't driving hard and that is the truth as it eventually came out.

When the police first arrived on the scene, they saw a 106 rallye with harness seats involved in an accident. The officer then proceeded to accuse me straight away of racing round the corner's on the back roads, and threaten to arrest me straight away on suspicion of dangerous driving with of course the other driver shouting in the background 'damn boy racers' and all sorts of abuse.

I stood my ground, and eventually the officer threw a strop and went 'Fine, if you reckon you are so innocent then, we will get the accident team out and they will look at the skid marks and then I will arrest you'.... 30 minutes later the accident term determined in fact that I was indeed doing 25mph, and that the other driver had been in the wrong.

I actually managed to get hold of the other driver's report and he was trying to blame me 100% for the accident, needless to say he looked rather stupid when it was proved it was his fault.

:blink: Sensible.

I actually question whether we should have a "Spirited Driving Chronicles" section at all, and it's the one thing for me personally that I am at odds with.

Undoubtedly, we all enjoy a spirited drive, me included, but to post up about how you "blew away a Scooby or a M3 or such like" can, as that thread demonstrates, come back to bite you hard.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm really impressed with the positive posts by nearly all members after 10ps posted his story, they could of easily reacted differently to it.

Definatly an interesting read, although I don't think he should profit if his stories from prison were to get published.

I agree also, about the 'Spirited Driving Chronicles' section.

I'm really impressed with the positive posts by nearly all members after 10ps posted his story, they could of easily reacted differently to it.

Definatly an interesting read, although I don't think he should profit if his stories from prison were to get published.

I agree also, about the 'Spirited Driving Chronicles' section.

I got to the point where that random troll appeared and gave up :(

I'll read the whole thing later, but I've read 10pences first post.

Have I got this right? He had crashed, was sideways in the road then a bike hit him.

I don't understand why he should be punished for the biker hitting him?

I understand that he was sliding sideways as the bike hit him.....:blink: If that is correct then the biker had no chance really!!

H.

I understand that he was sliding sideways as the bike hit him.....:blink: If that is correct then the biker had no chance really!!

H.

I still don't understand what caused the accident. I'm assuming he was driving too fast and just lost control or something?

Biker in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I still don't understand what caused the accident. I'm assuming he was driving too fast and just lost control or something?

Biker in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yep Pete, he was gunning it and lost control. Sounds like he was trying to get it out of the spin and slid sideways down the road covering both lanes.......:(

H.

I don't understand why he should be punished for the biker hitting him?

It's a little confusing in places, the biker also seems to have taken a blind bend at an inappropriate speed (isn't it the case that you should be able to stop within your field of view when faced with a situation like this?).

But it's never the biker at fault.

Seems like a set of tragic circumstances but ultimately an accident, wrong place, wrong time, bad for the biker but I don't buy the story - lone driver vs a group of bikers, slight bias to the "he was riding slowly" arguement perhaps?

Yes the car should have been elsewhere but would a broken down car in the same place have resulted in a custodial sentence because the chap failed to maintain his vehicle? Would a flock of sheep have been treated the same for being in his way?

He hit a stationary object because he was going too fast to stop in time.

Yes the car should have been elsewhere but would a broken down car in the same place have resulted in a custodial sentence because the chap failed to maintain his vehicle?

This is kinda how I feel at this moment - albeit not in possession of all the facts.

I've never held sympathy for bikers though. They're dangerous things people choose to drive.

Like me in my Tiger, I would come worse off, but it's my choice to risk.

He hit a stationary object because he was going too fast to stop in time.

Thats not the way i read it Michael. He says that his skid marks were only interupted my gouge marks in the tarmac where the bike had hit the car/car had hit the bike. He also says that he bike had been thrown backwards the way it came too!! He's tw@tted the bike in mid slide as far as I can see.

H.

Thats not the way i read it Michael. He says that his skid marks were only interrupted my gouge marks in the tarmac where the bike had hit the car/car had hit the bike. He also says that he bike had been thrown backwards the way it came too!! He's tw@tted the bike in mid slide as far as I can see.

H.

That must've been some force. My Kinetics is rusty.

It would be nice to know how fast he was going and just how OTT the driving was. As it stands he could have been doing 100mph in 30 limit round a bendy lane, but equally he could have been doing 65 in a 60.

I always thought you had to be able to stop in the distance you could see, to be safe if nothing else.

I just don't see what jail achieved in this situation.

Terrible that the guy has such severe lasting injuries, it would be interesting to know ALl the facts.

isn't it the case that you should be able to stop within your field of view when faced with a situation like this?

Yes, that's right - but this is only going to save you if you come across a stationary object on your side of the road. If something comes into view travelling at speed towards you, that point on the edge of your field of view will already have been covered by the approaching object, and being capable of stopping by that point is no longer going to help.

I too read the original thread on this when he was talking about the possibility of getting a custodial sentence and he admitted then that it was a case of him going into a corner too fast and losing control. His car was travelling sideways, covering both his lane and the oncoming lane.

No two ways about it - I'm afraid it was his actions that caused this one.

However, the point of the thread is to make us all think about how our lives could be changed in an instant. You could go out tonight for a bit of fun and suddenly because of your own actions, you or someone else isn't going to come home.

You should really be able to stop in your field of vision, but it's very rarely practical, especially on a bike where slamming on the brakes round a bend isn't a good idea, and doing 5mph round every tight corner isn't really a good way to travel either.

Regardless of this I got the feeling from the very first read that the biker MUST have been going too fast for the conditions, regardless of whether or not the car was still sliding - to be able to launch the rider over the car and across the tarmac, he must have been going some speed ABOVE what would have been safe for the particular bend.

I'm sure whatever the case, the rider has been more than punished for any 'dangerous' riding on his part, and whether 10p has used his guilty pleas to make himself feel better about driving like a prat or whether he truly feels he was 100% to blame is neither here nor there either. Both had plenty of punishment for their actions IMO.