The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Much Toluene ??

Sisky

Pickin up my 98 VVTI Tip TT BPU (love sayin all that :)) tomorrow

Have only 95RON fuel at pumps over here in Ireland.

On the bright side I have a PhD in Chemistry and work at a chemical company so can get my hands on toluene easily ( I knew the 8 years in college would come in useful someday :D)

so will be adding toluene to raise my RON.

What is my target - JSpec so is it built for 100RON in Japan.

Toluene is 114RON - I've put together a calc to figure out how much toluene to add to a full tank of 70L.

works out that need to add 18.5L of toluene to 51.5L of 95RON to get 100RON - thats a lot of frickin toluene to be carrying around in my boot!!

11Litres added would give 98RON - that should be enough ya???

for those interested calc is:

supra tank = 70L

petrol = 95RON

Toluene = 114 RON

enter litres of toluene added to full tank here 11

[(70-Vol of Toluene)*95 + Vol of Toluene*95]/70 6859

Resulting RON .........................................97.98571429

also here is a good independant review of differnt octane boosters:

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/OctaneBoosterComparison.html

most are crap - NF from australia is the best - anyone use that?

Investigate toluene mixed with xylene (sp) from my racing days, we were supplied with a mixture of the two together with a smaller amount of MTBE and IPA. These together gave a racing gas concentrate which was added @20% to unleaded 95RON to achieve >103ron.

Unsure of the exact quantities of each, but worked well although pretty toxic.

Forget it, just add two Millers CVL turbo with each tank, unless your running massive boost. I can make nearly 600bhp on std unleaded with no knock due to a good mapping job.

What single kit and injectors are you running?

saw 1.o max boost in test drive and i won't be pushin the car too hard (will be a second car for weekends) so i'm not to worried about optimising performance just don't wanna do any damage with crap fuel via detonation and other nasties....maybe a rempa to 95RON would make more sense??

injectors are stock i think and don't know what you mean by single kit (I'm pretty clueless mechanically:(

Anything you can buy from Halfraud's in a little bottle is snake oil.

As a general rule you should use 10% Toluene, I don't know what the effects would be of using too much but I would think 12% would be ok? Adding more and I seem to remember reading you need to add something as a lubricant, perhaps that's the xylene b'have mentioned?

70L tank so add 7litres per fill up.

You don't need to worry about the it's mapped for 100Ron myth....they heavily overfuel on boost and the VVTi's knock prevention systems are 2nd to none. The ECU will learn to cope.

Has anyone got an article where an independent lab has tested CVL? It's just that 5th Gear the other day tested a few of these octane boosters and LOST power...

I've still got most of a 40gal drum of Toluene and 10gal of Xylene for those hot days in the summer when you need all you can get to tease the two wheeled brigade. Thanks Charlie ;)

I believe we talked about up to 20% Tol, 10% Xyl and a drop of 2 stroke oil for max performance from a homebrew setup. I've never ventured that extreme though to be honest - don't think I've been above 12% additives and that's with no 2 stroke oil added...