The mkiv Supra Owners Club

has anyone quit smoking?

bigcol

I gave up 14 years ago and I can relate to what you are saying, I went cold turkey for the first 3 weeks, and boy could I not think straight or function properly for that time. Mind you I had been smoking for 23 years and found it quite hard, shall we say. I went onto patches and I havent looked back.

I must admit though I do occasionally think that only one would be nice, especially if I am outside and someone is smoking nearby, but the feeling passes quickly. I dont get the urge to smoke in a smoke filled room though!

Class One has all the good tips to stop smoking, they are basically what I followed and now I have £3.5k extra every year to spend on something nice. Keep going you are doing well :)

I can go till about 6 at night without one but by then Im very irritable. Its sad really but once your body is addicted top the nicotine its very difficult. I smoke more than I need to though as its the habbit rather than the need of nicotine. Ive just realised how bad that sounds:(

It will be 13 years since I quit this December. I knew if I could do a full week I could do it for good! The first week was the worst, but it does get better, especially when you get your sense of smell back!

I don't think the urge ever goes away though, even now, especially when I've had a little drinkie, I sometimes still get the urge for a cig, even though I know if I attempted to smoke one I would vomit!

Keep going it is worth it:)

Vicki x

• 1 year later...

Im trying to give up at the moment *as she puffs on a ciggie*

Im finding it so hard.i have patches but i just take them off and have a fag then stick it back on. I stopped for one day and was so moody i was told to have one. as im still young i thought it would be easier. . . but apparently not:(

I used to smoke about 15 fags a day, I started when I was 15-16 years old and quit when I was 23. I found it very easy to stop: I had two spontaneous pneumothorax'es, 2 chest drains, 1 video assited OP and 3 weeks stay in hospital because I caught pneumonia after the op.

I got out of the hospital and never ever touched a fag since then, I'm 31 one. It was very very easy to stop after enduring that IMO, but some people go through worse and still never quit...

listen buddy, check my thread history out. i was like you 40 cigs a day and then all of a sudden went cold turkey and stopped. i had the determination and support that i needed. occassionally here and there i have a few cigrettes but i proved to myself that i dont need nicotine to live. easiest 2 things i can say for you is this. chew gum, it shuts up the little craves and deals with the angry side of you. get yourself to a gym, all that worked up tension put it into some weights, watch your arms and chest rip! eventually a few days at the gym and you will see how much crap you cough up, trust me you wont want to leave the gym and you wont want to have a fag!

its all in your head!!! you dont need it!!!

When i gave up smoking i went to the docs because of a chest infection (im prone to them anyway) and even the doctor said that if i was to have a ciggy, i would feel so much better :D

The only time i smoke is when im driving, boredom i suppose, but if i havnt had a ciggy i am the most unpredictable, irritable, selfish, vindictive cow you have ever met :) God knows why the other half wants me to give up :D

i quit about 5 years ago.

had been smoking for 10 years, then just decided to quit. wasn't as hard as i thought. just had to stop thinking about it. and change a few habits. bBut its all down to will power. Patches and stuff dont really help, they just make you think they're helping you control the cravings. If you really want to quit, you can do it just like that.

I did, and it doesnt bother me at all! :D

What is all the stuff you cough up? when you stop does it make you feel less tired?

It is all the crap you have been gather ing in your lungs by smoking, a lot of tar and stuff. You will feel less tired - especially if you take up some execise when you stop. The physical cravings do not last long and if you get your head right for stopping then the psychological cravings even less time

Good Luck :)

i am half way through alan cars easy way to stop smoking book, the book really makes sense,

That is a really good book, I was feeling such an idiot for being a smoker (which I was) as I was reading it. It certainly helped