The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power loss with new intercooler

Guest cooljam

Guest cooljam

I'm in the process of going bpu with my standard TT and have just had a front mounted intercooler fitted. Looks great, and will cope with 800bhp.

Only problem is that when the turbos used to kick in and everything went backwards rapidly, now doesn't happen! At 4000rpm+ its like I've lost a ton of power.

The garage that fitted it said that this is due to the turbo lag created by the massive intercooler.

Has anyone heard of this before? Or am I being fed a line?

The garage that fitted it said that this is due to the turbo lag created by the massive intercooler.

Has anyone heard of this before? Or am I being fed a line?

Yes you are being Mr Spears ;)

At 4000rpm your engine is consuming 100 Ltrs of air per second

3.0Ltrs x (4000rpm/2) /60secs

I don't think a few extra litres of intercooler capacity is going to make a noticeable difference. Do you?

What make and model is this massive intercooler of yours? Maybe somebody else here has one almost as huge as yours.

You shouldn't see any losses with the fmic in place, I certainly didn't with mine and that was an ebay special.

I would say that the garage who fitted it are talking bollocks, and have probably knocked a few hoses / sensors / connections when they were fitting it.

Yes you are being Mr Spears ;)

At 4000rpm your engine is consuming 100 Ltrs of air per second

3.0Ltrs x (4000rpm/2) /60secs

I don't think a few extra litres of intercooler capacity is going to make a noticeable difference. Do you?

QUOTE]

VE 100%??

Depends where you measure it. As far as the cylinder are concerned it'll be consuming 100 litres per second at whatever pressure. At the airbox it'll be lots more litres at atmospheric pressure. At the intercooler the flow will be somewhere in between.

Either its a coupling not put on properly and probably leaking under pressure or its the fact its an XS power intercooler.

You get what you pay for and the XS units are not known for quality, plenty of people run them but have nothing to compare a good Greddy or Blits or HKS unit with. Arc also make very good intercoolers.

dont listen to all the doom mongers mate unless your intercooler has a HUGE hole in it somewhere, regardless of the quality it will boost exactly the same as any vastly overpriced item with HKS, BLITZ on the front, it sounds very much like you have a hose off, until you sort this be very carefull driving the car as it will now be sucking in unfiltered air, grit, stones, buttends, etc

Guest cooljam

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, especially K14 (I'll check the actuator), Ian C for the links and Paul Mac for supporting the people that can't always afford to buy Blitz!

Power to eBay!