The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trying to learn how to play electric guitar...help

Suprasteve

I found my wifes old electric guitar in the loft, i restrug it, tuned it, bought the plecs, amp, read the book....then plucked a few strings and gave up !

I really want to learn and will force myself to be patient. I know it takes months/ years to be any good but do you have any tips to get me going ?

My wife heard on the radio today that theres a new game out going to be a big hit this xmas (i'm assuming playstation ??) that helps you to learn ? do you think it'll be worth it ??

The game you are on about is probably Guitar Hero 3 or The Band ( ithink its gonna be called). Great fun but wont help you learn really. As Muff (lol ;)) said start by learning the basic chords. Irrespecive of the style of music you want to play eventually, doing it this way will allow your fingers to get used to playing, it will improve their dexterity and strength and also toughen the skin on your fingers. Will also improve your coordination a bit. Once you have learned a few try and place the few you have learned in a sequence.

Good luck.

When it comes to single/double note melodys dont learn by fret numbers, use the notes as then you will be more creative when working with other musicians. Tab is ok for working out how to play a few numbers but ultimately you need to know your notes.

Dont over practice, do 15 mins a day, until you get fairly good, then go for longer practice sessions.

The biggest motivation I found was playing stuff I liked to begin with (luckily I liked Nirvana when I was starting and they're music is mostly power chords ;) )

Have a look at this site - got most tab (tablature) so just search for what you like and see how you get on

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

Top advice that. I started about 10 years ago by buying a Beatles songs in 6 chords handbook. Wasn't brilliant but to my untrained ear it really helped to play songs I loved.

It is surprising how quick you can progress and it won't take long until you can here a song an break it down into chords quite easily.

One thing that really helped my soloing was practising the pentatonic scales (i think thats what they are called) non-stop. Most songs you can play along with soloing based on that scale.

I normally just listen to a song over and over and often repeat a short part of the song till I find all the right notes, I've been playing a few years now but I've got to a level and not really progressed from there :( time for lesson now probably :)

this is me;

I have played for a few years now and still love playing, the bad side is once you start getting somwhere you then want better stuff, i have spent almost £1000 on two guitars (and thats not that much money) and about £600 on Marshall amp and cab. Guitar hero wont help you learn to play guitar, the only thing it will really do is exercises your fingers(But great game!). I bought a book when i started called The complete Guitar PLayer. I thought it was really easy to start with, It told me the basics about the guitar without given me a headach and went straight to your basic chords + it comes with a CD for backing tracks, While doing that i was learning to play tabs from my fav bands on Ultimate-guitar.com,which went along with Guitar pro on my computer. I still also do lessons every week which really improved my playing alot. What helped me is that my Guitar is in my liven room right next to were i sit and watch tv. I seem to pick it up and play every day since it is right next to me. Just do it at your own pace and play what you enjoy is the best advise i can think of.Try to learn some basic open chords like A , G , C , D. you will be shocked how many songs you can do with thoses chords. Get used to playing those chords so you can switch easy etc etc You will prob learn songs from the Beatles, Eric Clapton, bob dylan and so on. I play alot of Guns n roses and metallica, but i also like playing old stuff as well. After a Gibson Les Paul next but need to find another £1000 for that..lol

I have played for a few years now and still love playing, the bad side is once you start getting somwhere you then want better stuff, i have spent almost £1000 on two guitars (and thats not that much money) and about £600 on Marshall amp and cab. I bought a book when i started called The complete Guitar PLayer. I thought it was really easy to start with, It told me the basics about the guitar without given me a headach and went straight to your basic chords + it comes with a CD for backing tracks, While doing that i was learning to play tabs from my fav bands on Ultimate-guitar.com,with Guitar pro on my computer. . I still also do lessons every week which really improved my playing alot. What helped me is that my Guitar is in my liven room right next to were i sit. I seem to pick it up and play every day since it is right next to me. Just do it at your own pace and play what you enjoy is the best advise i can think of. After a Gibson Les Paul next but need to find another £1000 for that..lol

dont bother with a gibson i was about to spend £2000 on a les paul, i have always loved them, then i played the ltd epiphone emg (limmited run) sounds better then your 2k standards or classic or studios... its my favorit guitar, its also gibson body on the ltd so the wood is good however is very heavy..when it came out it was £800 however i got one 2 weeks later on ebay for £250 the guy was selling for a mate, guess he didnt realise the price :p

close up picks - http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/epiphone-les-paul-custom-emg81-midnight-ebony-limited-edition-p-12633.html

review - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/epiphone/les_paul_custom_midnight_limited_edition/index.html

review - http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/reviews/electric-guitar-reviews/epiphone-midnight-les-paul.htm

it looks exsactly like kirk hammets black les paul of cunning stunts

imagehttp://www.metallica.sk/newsimages/metallica_reading97_kirk.jpg

dont bother with a gibson i was about to spend £2000 on a les paul, i have always loved them, then i played the ltd epiphone emg (limmited run) sounds better then your 2k standards or classic or studios... its my favorit guitar, its also gibson body on the ltd so the wood is good however is very heavy..when it came out it was £800 however i got one 2 weeks later on ebay for £250 the guy was selling for a mate, guess he didnt realise the price :p

close up picks - http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/catalog/epiphone-les-paul-custom-emg81-midnight-ebony-limited-edition-p-12633.html

review - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/epiphone/les_paul_custom_midnight_limited_edition/index.html

review - http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/reviews/electric-guitar-reviews/epiphone-midnight-les-paul.htm

it looks exsactly like kirk hammets black les paul of cunning stunts

http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/KirkMetallica.jpghttp://www.metallica.sk/newsimages/metallica_reading97_kirk.jpg

I know what your saying, i have two epiphone at the mo and love them to bits, i would never sell them.. I just want the Godfather of guitars and yes been looking on ebay.......ALOT CHEAPER ..GAK seems to be cheap for new stuff and there now doing second hands stuff

great now im looking to buy a another guitar talking about all this...lol

The biggest motivation I found was playing stuff I liked to begin with (luckily I liked Nirvana when I was starting and they're music is mostly power chords ;) )

Have a look at this site - got most tab (tablature) so just search for what you like and see how you get on

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

good advise, that is how i learnt, all my friends were playing blink 182 and greenday, i bought a book i learnt the chords for paradise city and got board then i worked out some tabs, second song i learnt was sweet child oh mine, by the time i learnt that my finger controle and strenght was enought to jump to higher levels, moved on to metallica enter the sand man and one, pantera, rage agaist the machine (really easy should look at that if your a fan also most there stuff is in drop d) by the time i learnt them i was way past my friends soloing away but i didnt have a clue about chords just new what sound right and where to put my fingers, saying that tho now i still dont know half the stuff im playing i just know it by sound, i would recomend playing stuff you like but still get your chords and theary in there its worth it in the end tho. get into shread it will make you want to learn look at some van halen, yngwie malmsteen, steve vai, paul gilbert..

i just play blues now, mainly hendrix, srv, and pink floyed but you gotton learn man its great once you get the jist of things every thing will fall in place, and if you wanna learn fast get lessons they really do help.

I know what your saying, i have two epiphone at the mo and love them to bits, i would never sell them.. I just want the Godfather of guitars and yes been looking on ebay.......ALOT CHEAPER ..GAK seems to be cheap for new stuff and there now doing second hands stuff

if you want out im selling a pod xt pro with channle switcher pedal and a marshall jsm 900 + 4x12 cab :p

just sold a ibanez pgm 300, i miss it tho :(

Guest Terry steward
I found my wifes old electric guitar in the loft, i restrug it, tuned it, bought the plecs, amp, read the book....then plucked a few strings and gave up !

I really want to learn and will force myself to be patient. I know it takes months/ years to be any good but do you have any tips to get me going ?

My wife heard on the radio today that theres a new game out going to be a big hit this xmas (i'm assuming playstation ??) that helps you to learn ? do you think it'll be worth it ??

I have been playing for 35 years or so now,and you never stop learning, and sometimes from people with less experience, its a very self expressive instrument, and everyone is an individual, so anyone is capable of playing something you may not have thought of.

so my advise is to watch and or listen to as many people as you can, get dvd,s of the players you like,so you can see what they are doing, and one of the best pieces of advise, is get the best instrument you can afford, as it is difficult enough getting your fingers round the required shapes and scale patterns, let alone on an instrument that would be difficult to play even for experienced players.it could be the difference between sticking with it, or giving up, i no longer have the time to teach, but if you are close enough to basildon in essex, one of my old friends is absolutely amazing as a player and a fantastic teacher, his name is joe hymas on 07888 675368 or 01268 492250

Guest Terry steward

My wife bought my steve vai ibanez jem 7vwh from gak when a fella called pat worked there nine years ago now, ready for my 40th on the 12th nov 49 soon !! aargh !!, my local retailer pmt, in southend whom i have spent thousands with, werent very helpful,she,s a woman what can she know, er she works for a shipping co, and has shipped for celestion,korg, line 6, fender,and now mapex and ziljan and many others,she knows the products she is shipping, and has been around bands since her teens !! so she ended up driving to brighton, and spent £1700, and not only did they lose that nice little sale, but every year since, she has bought me something from gak.

My wife bought my steve vai ibanez jem 7vwh from gak when a fella called pat worked there nine years ago now, ready for my 40th on the 12th nov 49 soon !! aargh !!, my local retailer pmt, in southend whom i have spent thousands with, werent very helpful,she,s a woman what can she know, er she works for a shipping co, and has shipped for celestion,korg, line 6, fender,and now mapex and ziljan and many others,she knows the products she is shipping, and has been around bands since her teens !! so she ended up driving to brighton, and spent £1700, and not only did they lose that nice little sale, but every year since, she has bought me something from gak.

they do seem very good deals, i remember when i bought my first guitar in guildford, a week later i started to look on gak for some acc and noticed i cound of saved £100 aaahhhhh . prob is there are better deals on ebay these days if you dnt mind it being used.

I have been playing for 35 years or so now,and you never stop learning, and sometimes from people with less experience, its a very self expressive instrument, and everyone is an individual, so anyone is capable of playing something you may not have thought of.

so my advise is to watch and or listen to as many people as you can, get dvd,s of the players you like,so you can see what they are doing, and one of the best pieces of advise, is get the best instrument you can afford, as it is difficult enough getting your fingers round the required shapes and scale patterns, let alone on an instrument that would be difficult to play even for experienced players.it could be the difference between sticking with it, or giving up, i no longer have the time to teach, but if you are close enough to basildon in essex, one of my old friends is absolutely amazing as a player and a fantastic teacher, his name is joe hymas on 07888 675368 or 01268 492250

might just have to call only 15 mins away!