The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Great storm of 87 (showing your age)

johnd-mkiv

I was 7. I remember waking up in the night and for some reason I got out of bed and went into the spare room to see out of the window at the front of the house. My dad came in and we watched the storm.

So your room didn't have windows then? Did they lock you in a cupboard at night. :D

There was an old bloke who lived over the road. We used to call him Sweepy becuase he'd spend all year sweeping the pavement outside his bungalow.

He was actually out in it trying to sweep up the leaves and debris.

Still, I got the next day off college and went windsurfing. Some old couple told me it was very poor taste to be enjoying myself after that kind of event!

I was 8, woke up at 2am scared shitless and ran to my parents bedroom and said "something 'big' is happening" to which my dad said "it's just a bit of wind, go back to bed". I was too scared to even open the curtains lol. The house was a chalet bungalow with my bedroom having the dormer window bit like this:

http://www.explorethenewforest.co.uk/Tiverton.jpg

Thinking about it now I'm surprised it didn't get ripped out by the wind when you look at damage sustained by other buildings.

I was 22 and on the dole (some things never change :D)

The storm had loads of the slates off our roof and caused lots of damaged round our way (the Isle Of Wight). First thing I knew about it was when I woke up at the crack of lunchtime the next day. I'd slept right through it in a pissed/stoned stupor.

Ahh, those were the days.

20 years?!?!?

I was 12. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and thinking "huh, bit windy" and then going back to sleep. Next thing I know it's morning and my sister has woken me up all excited because school has been cancelled :D

I was 25 and worked in the countryside near Petersfield. It was devastation and no chance to get near the factory due to trees down everywhere. No work :( shame :)

Jake, I had a school mate (Andrew Fisher) who lived in Gladys Ave and he had a wall of bricks from one side of his house blown down. It was in the News I seem to recall.

Only 20 years ago eh :wave:, where have all the years gone?