The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Love or hate your job?

JamieP

Been a chef for 8years, and still love every second of it. Even more so now that the boss is investing in a experemental kitchen for me to go nuts in :D. only had it a day and i was making pea flavoured caviar :D. I love watching Heston Blumenthal, Ferran Adria and attempting to recreate there food and even put my own little twist on it. At the moment i wouldn't have it any other way :)

Another chef, nice one, there are a few of us on here, Foodfreak is a great chef, where is your restaurant ?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another chef, nice one, there are a few of us on here, Foodfreak is a great chef, where is your restaurant ?

guess that makes three of us then been a chef since i was 18 apprenticeship in the sheraton london

worked in uk africa and middle east and ended up in wales, go figure

run my own food bar i aspire to the gordon ramsey ethic of everything fresh and local ,very rewarding when you get praise for your food .get some idiots too for whom i have no time ,times are tough at the mo but picking up steadily :)

Alright dude, sadly its not my place, its a nice "gastro" pub in west yorkshire. http://www.grayoxinn.co.uk/ check us out :), im kinda hopeing that one day i'll be talanted enough to get a job at "The Fat Duck", but sadly thats a couple of years away :(. What about you then dude??

guess that makes three of us then been a chef since i was 18 apprenticeship in the sheraton london

worked in uk africa and middle east and ended up in wales, go figure

run my own food bar i aspire to the gordon ramsey ethic of everything fresh and local ,very rewarding when you get praise for your food .get some idiots too for whom i have no time ,times are tough at the mo but picking up steadily :)

I totaly agree with you my man, not only do you get some dam good produce, but local businesses are so much more helpful in getting produce that isn't in stock.

sadly you always get some ideots in, when i first moved here saturday night used to be fight night, had to ask a couple of customers the leave. But thankfully we've moved on a long way since those days and get some nice people in :), keep at it dude, i realy do like little businesses that give a dam, doing well :)

Alright dude, sadly its not my place, its a nice "gastro" pub in west yorkshire. http://www.grayoxinn.co.uk/ check us out :), im kinda hopeing that one day i'll be talanted enough to get a job at "The Fat Duck", but sadly thats a couple of years away :(. What about you then dude??

I did my apprenticeship at the Savoy back in 89-91

Nuthurst Grange in The West Midlands (3 AA rosette)

Swallow Hotel in Bham (5 star 3 AA rosette)

Intercontinental Hotel Park Lane as sous chef (3 AA rosette)

Pont de La Tour (2 AA rosette) Sous chef

Intercontinental Hotel again as Exec sous then Head Chef when Peter Kromberg retired

Lehman Brothers Exec chef for 3 years

Lehman Brothers Director of Executive catering until the company went under on Sept 15 08

I have also cooked in Japan, Washington, Chicago and New York for various promotions

Member of the Academy of Culinary Arts

Master Chef Of GB

Craft Guild of chefs member

Love food and cooking and have a passion for local produce and organic foods

Great to see some chefs here, we are creative guys and most seem to love cars for some strange reason ;)

Intercontinental Hotel again as Exec sous then Head Chef when Peter Kromberg retired

Lehman Brothers Director of Executive catering until the company went under on Sept 15 08

I have also cooked in Japan, Washington, Chicago and New York for various promotions

Master Chef Of GB

Great to see some chefs here, we are creative guys and most seem to love cars for some strange reason ;)

I thought you worked in a bank or something uptown:blink:

I now love your job and hate mine:)

I thought you worked in a bank or something uptown:blink:

I now love your job and hate mine:)

Nah Dave I am a chef through and through, I wish I could get my head around what you can do to a car in such a short time, being a chef at the higher level is a real tough job and one you have to be 100% committed to to make it work, I have spent many many hours at the stove to get where I am today and feel very lucky to have achieved what I have so far, all thanks to something I really enjoy :)

Master Chef Of GB

now that is a list of accolades, much respect to you there mate. im going to have to pick your brains one day, would love to work under a chef with skills like you and just absorb as much as i can from you. My only problem is that my current boss is like family to me, and theres a lot expected from me so i can't realy just drop everything and persue my dreams :(

now that is a list of accolades, much respect to you there mate. im going to have to pick your brains one day, would love to work under a chef with skills like you and just absorb as much as i can from you. My only problem is that my current boss is like family to me, and theres a lot expected from me so i can't realy just drop everything and persue my dreams :(

Be careful with your loyalty mate, its is a very good thing but it can also hold you back, its a tough trade and you need to expose yourself to a variety of high level establishments to get to the top, you would be wise to consider a move at some point soon IMO ;)

Be careful with your loyalty mate, its is a very good thing but it can also hold you back, its a tough trade and you need to expose yourself to a variety of high level establishments to get to the top, you would be wise to consider a move at some point soon IMO ;)

i know mate, you are totaly right. i realy want to learn as much as i can in the life i've got, and aspire to be the best. But like i say i've got a lot of people depending on me and its just hard to leave them. On my days off this week im going to go to some nice places "Anthonys" and "The Box Tree" and just say to them, im a chef that wants to learn, on my days off i'll work for free for you. Im not sure how far that'll get me, what would you say if a lad turned up at your kitchen back door and said that??

i know mate, you are totaly right. i realy want to learn as much as i can in the life i've got, and aspire to be the best. But like i say i've got a lot of people depending on me and its just hard to leave them. On my days off this week im going to go to some nice places "Anthonys" and "The Box Tree" and just say to them, im a chef that wants to learn, on my days off i'll work for free for you. Im not sure how far that'll get me, what would you say if a lad turned up at your kitchen back door and said that??

Its a great ethic but if you are keen enough and good enough you should get paid for any work you do, I have some good contacts in the industry but I would be careful offering to work for nothing, it can get abused, you would be wise taking a week in a top place as a trial to see if you really want to stay where you are or if you need a change to a higher level

Remember that you need to get exposure to the best chefs and restaurants early to get to the top, dont waste the years

Its a great ethic but if you are keen enough and good enough you should get paid for any work you do, I have some good contacts in the industry but I would be careful offering to work for nothing, it can get abused, you would be wise taking a week in a top place as a trial to see if you really want to stay where you are or if you need a change to a higher level

Remember that you need to get exposure to the best chefs and restaurants early to get to the top, dont waste the years

Tell you what mate, thanks a lot for the advice. I shall get in touch with some places and see what they say, any where you would recomend??

Tell you what mate, thanks a lot for the advice. I shall get in touch with some places and see what they say, any where you would recomend??

Depends on what you want/need, you can see 3 star food or you can see 5 star management, really depends on what type of chef you want to be

EG, Foodfreak on here is exec chef for a very good outside caterer who would be great to work with to understand this market, you could work at one of the big hotels to get a taste for this part of the business or you could choose a fine dining restaurant like the Square or Marcus Waring at the Berkeley Hotel, let me know if I can help, would be a pleasure

Depends on what you want/need, you can see 3 star food or you can see 5 star management, really depends on what type of chef you want to be

EG, Foodfreak on here is exec chef for a very good outside caterer who would be great to work with to understand this market, you could work at one of the big hotels to get a taste for this part of the business or you could choose a fine dining restaurant like the Square or Marcus Waring at the Berkeley Hotel, let me know if I can help, would be a pleasure

Wow, i am so glad i posted in this thread. If we could sort somthing out i would be eternaly greatful. The way i want to go is fine dining, i realy want to learn to do the best food i can, my only problem is that im not due any time off for a few months. So i realy dont want to mess you around especialy when you're going out of your way to help me.(you have no idea how greatfull i am) but if you dont mind can we sort somthing out for a couple of months time, please??

Wow, i am so glad i posted in this thread. If we could sort somthing out i would be eternaly greatful. The way i want to go is fine dining, i realy want to learn to do the best food i can, my only problem is that im not due any time off for a few months. So i realy dont want to mess you around especialy when you're going out of your way to help me.(you have no idea how greatfull i am) but if you dont mind can we sort somthing out for a couple of months time, please??

My email is dtracey (at) lehman.com, give me a shout when you have time and I will contact the Academy and will do what I can to help, I can of course get you into Lehman Fine dining anytime you like

Dean

I'm my own boss running and asbestos new business, just setting up at the moment so it's steady without much pressure :)

Money is non-existent at the moment so I’m living of my saving :( hopefully as the business grows there will be a fair financial reward and this time i don't have to do all the work and share the profits with other non-working share holders :eyebrows:

I'm also looking at commercial energy efficiency surveys, my son as just started training for this but it could be another 6 months before he is fully trained and i can make some money back after paying for his training, expenses and a vehicle for him.

So if anybody has any issues with asbestos and require assistance in any way i can assist, whether it's consultancy or actual work i would be pleased to help :cool:

Also I’m looking at developing indoor activity sites for children, this is totally new to me but my wife, daughter and sons partners will be doing day to day tasks leaving me with the finances to sort :blink:

I design and configure mobile phone networks as a freelance consultant.

I don't love/hate my job, it's just a means to an end really.

Sometimes it's very stressful and sometimes it's down right boring. Overall though I'm very happy. It pays very well and lets me work in different countries which is the main reason I do it.

I work for a large cleaning device manufacturer in China as Engineering Manager - which is a jazzed up name for an old knackered toolmaker who seems to fire fights daily problems ;)

I love my job one day and detest it the next :blink:

A 3 hour daily commute from Hong Kong to China is a real drag though :(