The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knee replacement - how serious is it?

Homer

Not me, but my father.

After 40 years of manual labour (ex-farmer), he's been told he needs both knee's replacing due to chronic damage to the bones in his knee joints. He's had major problems with them for the past 5 years which last year forced him to sell the farm and retire to a less demanding lifestyle. It's basically caused by arthritis (though our entire family has a bad history of this), but despite retiring the condition has got so bad his knee bones (inc femur) are now disintegrating

Does anyone here have any experience with knee replacement (most likely via parents); particularly how debilitating it is and the future lifestyle that can be expected? He was hoping to continue working for the next 4-5 years but has been told he has to take at least 1 year off work. After 40 years of working every day you can imagine he's not very positive about not being able to work at all...

He'll get £60 a week from disability benefit but this will mean they have to eat into their hard earned savings to live :(

My ma had a double knee replacement done in February, she still has problems but described it as a 1000 times better. She couldn't walk up or downstairs easily at all before the op, 6 months later and she's back gardening etc like she used to do all the time :)

I have no idea at the situation your father is in, but as someone who has Osteochondritis in my right knee (From 4 years old), and with a father who has crippling Arthritis in both of his knees (He walks on 2 crutches) I can try to know how bad and painfull it can be, however I guess as he's been recommended a knee replacement it's gone far past anything I can even imagine...

How will the op help his femur? I'm not an expert on knee replacements, is it a case of sorting out the worst bit then worrying about what happens afterwards? (Sorry for putting it bluntly)...

I'm not sure how this will help, but my Dad had his right leg really smashed up in a bike crash many moons ago (As I'm sure I posted on here before), and most of his lower right leg is metal (With 1970's butchery), but he could still carry on most of a normal life (It was before I was born, and only now can I see how hard it was for him to kick a football, but he still came out to the park with me) however his knee got arthritis, and as above it's got to the point where he can only really get about on crutches... But I know he wasn't as active as your Dad, my Dad was a Graphic Draughtsman for a certain company that sells stuff to people who like to buy things that go bang (For those around Cheltenham, it's a bit like W H Smiths) so he was sat on his ass all day, I think his will to keep being active went a long time ago, I hope that anything your Dad can get, and can do, will be done...

Just keep him motivated, I remember my Mum thanking me every time I came home from playing football with Dad, when I asked why, she said, 'Just for being out with him', I didn't understand back then but I do now...

My full hope goes out to you and your Father that the best can be done...

The main problem he will have is the loss of strength in his legs due to the lengthy recovery after the operation - mainly his quads. I had a kneecap removal operation earlier this year (i was young enough to compensate, apparently) and I'm still struggling to build up the strength, although I originally lost the strength 5 years ago.

i worked with a South African guy who had a full knee replacement on his right leg, after a scrum at an amateur rugby club game collapsed on the side of his leg, shattering the bones. 2 years later, he's back playing rugby!

In relation to pots question re the femur, the arthritis will be caused by the cartilage in his joints having worn away - at that point the joint is termed as arthritic, as there is nothing to stop bone rubbing on bone and continually disintegrating. With the knee replacement, unless i'm mistaken, they will be chopping off the bad 'ends' and fitting a full joint and bone replacement.

Homer, why not have a look here: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php

There's a few too many whiny american women moaning about how emotionally distressed they are after their arthroscopy, but there's also some really handy advice from very knowledgeable people, you just have to search for it!

Good luck to your old man - it'll be very hard work, but he'll get his strength and mobility back and it'll all be worth it.

my old man had it done about a year ago via Bupa.

They are 3 types of replacment, full joint, half joint and a little ball bit. He had the half joint. Before the operation he couldn't use stairs sold the house for a bungalow etc etc

afterwards, he had a lot of pain, lots of swelling for motnhs :( However we think this is because my dad doenst like to rest. as soon as he could walk he was up decorating etc. If you rest and do the execrcises and physio from day one and dont over tax then your recovery rate is much quicker and better.

He's now retired to spain, spends lots of tie swimming and ither than a slight limp he's fine. When he comes to the UK the damp weather does make it worse.

I deal with them every day at work. A lot depends on where hes having it done and who is doing it to be honest. If its a decent op and if he works hard enough following it then he will be fine, there is no reason why he cant go back to work and lead a completely normal life. Just make sure you push him afterwards in terms of doing the exercises that hes given because the knee will be very weak and not able to bend much. Its important to get it bending and get the muscles working ASAP after the op (As soon as 1-2 days after).

I know an old farmer that used to live up the road from me who over the course of a couple of years had both knees replaced. He'd got to the point of selling the farm and getting a bungalow etc before having the op done. A year after getting the second knee replaced, he was buying land again and going back into farming.

Marvellous difference for him and totally rejuvenated him.

I know of at least 3 people who have had similar results. My mum is having a knee replaced in the next few months - hope it does the same for her.

It isn't so much of a big deal these days as it used to be. I think the hardest thing for your dad by the sounds of things will be the adjustment from high activity to very low activity. This was the killer for me after my accident and nearly got the better of me a couple of times !

Lots of support is what he will need which im sure you will give him.

Normally you wouldn't be, unless you suffer from asthma or anything similar that could pose a risk when you're under.

Mike's mum was given an epidural and local anesthetic during the op and told this was normal proceedure. The doctor explained what they were during whilst they were doing it.

Mike's mum was given an epidural and local anesthetic during the op and told this was normal proceedure. The doctor explained what they were during whilst they were doing it.

Really?! Bugger that for a lark! I was out cold for all my knee operations, and that was bad enough.