The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A Poem and a Song

dandan

OK - slighty weird questions, not the norm for this place but figured I'd ask anyway :D

What's the difference between a poem and a song?

Can a poem have a chorus?

Could most songs be considered to be poems?

I can understand that a song must fit to music and sing/sound well without overcomplication and complexity. A poem is read on a page and can be re-read and re-read to pick up on buried images and messages.

So any thoughts......discuss... :)

Dan

My answer would be:

A poem is just words (not sure if the actual enunciation is part of the definition, or just the words themselves).

A song is a musical composition (ie. it also defines the tune) which includes a vocal part (which may not actually be words!).

Guest Diematrosen

A poem and song both have a lyric (note: lyric singular i.e. the words) therefore in terms of the lyric both are the same, the difference between a song and a poem is one is set to music while the other is not.

A poem is designed to be read on the page a lyric is designed to be sung by the human voice and heard with music.

Also poetry stands alone without music. A lyric must work well with the rhythm and structure of music. Poems can be any length without definition, lyrics have to be snappy as the movement of the music moves quickly.

The same things make up a poem and a lyric, but they are entirely different.

A poem is designed to be read on the page a lyric is designed to be sung by the human voice and heard with music.

Also poetry stands alone without music. A lyric must work well with the rhythm and structure of music. Poems can be any length without definition, lyrics have to be snappy as the movement of the music moves quickly.

The same things make up a poem and a lyric, but they are entirely different.

I found an almost identical definition from ask.com

I've got more replies than I was expecting so far :)

How about this one..

Can a poem have a chorus?

OK. try again, how about, the lyric of either a song or a poem if sung, is a song, if spoken, is a poem.

E.g. Jerusalem

"And did those feet in ancient times...." etc.

Poem by Blake, or you can sing it as a hymn (music by Parry).

There's little distinction between the two. It's entirely possible to write song lyrics that will stand on their own as poetry, but it seems to be a pretty rare ability in recent songwriters.

But then, most recent music I hear is at the gym where I am exposed to such gems as:

I met a girl down at the disco.

She said hey, hey, hey yea let's go.

I could be your baby, you can be my honey

Let's spend time not money.

I mix your milk wit my cocoa puff,

Milky, milky cocoa,

Mix your milk with my cocoa puff, milky, milky riiiiiiight

:rolleyes: