The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is really going on in my engine?

Chris Wilson

Great find Chris. Fantastic video.Good to see a UK university taking a lead. I would like to see a clip of the same action in an F1 engine. Looking at the clip frame by frame, it looks like three sparks at least before the mixture is ignited. I agree with Ian, it is a shame they have not release film of the whole cycle.

That is a fantastic video, although I'm not 100% certain it is not rigged.

For example, what's with the flames? At such pressures, would they still look like this?

The last time I had a glance in a combustion chamber with the engine running was through a 'colortune' spark plug, the best approximation to a wideband back in the late eighties. Different combustion colour means lean/rich readings....dire! Only practical on side-mounted plugs obviously and very dangerous to read under load (potential crash!). Fixed heat range didn't help either.

Not sure if it ever caught on, lol...