The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this an enthusiasts club or a closed shop!!

VIL

...naming Jake and Michael as a reason for someone not signing up. And yet when actually challenged for a link to these events the original poster goes quiet and doesn't respond. So, well, where are those threads? I'd quite like to see them, so I can get both sides of the story. They do exist, don't they?
Ah yes, I had forgotten about that.

Let's see it then Trev. If you're so keen on pointing the finger how about you back it up?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not read all of the posts, but IMO there are some very judgemental people on here with attitudes more suited to a snotty golf club:p

As a snotty golfer I ressemble that remark too!:(

Anyone who is too lazy to string a coherent sentence together gets what they deserve IMHO.

Wing Comander SupraSuzuki, RAF (retired)

(PS, I'm not realy like this, I'm just bored;))

I find it amusing that most of the people who use txt spk come storming into the forum pretending to be Mr Big Potatoes, then at the first sign of hostility towards their utter bollocks way of writing, storm back out again like pansies.

Have to agree! I'd noticed that too :D

I like that idea about substituting certain words for text speak....bring it on, I say :p

It is hugely annoying to have to translate text/gangsta speak and realise that in some cases they couldnt string together a sentance of full sylables even if they tried to use correct words anyway, as it would be equally illegible!

At the end of the day this forum is a cross section of society and will encompass all different characters but a strong sense of humour and a tough hide is helpful ;) - of you cant take it, don't dish it out.....:eyebrows:

Lxx

I've seen two things in this thread that prompt me to reply.

One - A few people have made unfounded comments about "witchhunts", giving a "lambo owner shit", and even naming Jake and Michael as a reason for someone not signing up. And yet when actually challenged for a link to these events the original poster goes quiet and doesn't respond.

-Ian

Afternoon....not gone quiet, I just have to work for a living! :)

Ian, in my post I did mention (Off the top of my head.....) as my opening line, if people want to hunt for specific threads then that up to them. They are just ones that I seemed to recall.

The intention of the first post was to see why people react to others, in many cases new posters in the way they do. Now this thread has looked specifically at TXT speak but it was not my intention to focus in on this one issue.

It may just be me....and by the looks from most of the comments it is...but I just think that some people can come across fairly aggressive or overly defensive.

Yes there are two sides to a coin, people like the banter...etc.......and I am certainly not defending the nobbers that come to the site who immediately start upsetting people. But at the same time I do sometimes think that there are people here quick to judge others and dont mind adding the odd unesessary scathing comment!

Am I wrong?...it seems I am!

Ian, in my post I did mention (Off the top of my head.....) as my opening line, if people want to hunt for specific threads then that up to them. They are just ones that I seemed to recall.
The one about Michael and myself being named and shamed as putting off a new member was directed to TBourner rather than yourself. It's him that we would like to see backup his claim by providing the link to the thread in question.

The intention of the first post was to see why people react to others, in many cases new posters in the way they do. Now this thread has looked specifically at TXT speak but it was not my intention to focus in on this one issue.
Apart from text-speakers and obvious bull-shitters I really don't think there is a problem. Maybe if you give us a couple of examples of threads where newbs have been harrased or made unwelcome in some way it would help us understand your point.

As you can see, most members don't see the problem you've noticed.

...My personal opinion is that this club is the sum of its parts ...

it's actually more than that.

But you have to dig a bit to see beneath the surface

..if we are to encourage new members then a modicum of tolerance and understanding would not go amiss. ...

I find this attitude as healthy.

It is a miniscule equivalent of 'hazing'.

That is also a healthy custom that has survived centuries and hasn't gone away despite legislations and bad turns.

If the members don't earn the right to belong, how committed are they going to be?

Would you like it if every Dick and Harry could butt in, throw some bullshoite comments and walk away? What if those comments eventually cost you an engine?

Look at it this way:

Do you prefer to be surrounded by knowledgeable members, or idle timewasters who know nothing except 'croozes'?

In the first case you have to put up with the 'attitude' (price of admission);)

In the second case there are lots of choices out there on the internet!